Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on resorts in Italy (& beyond!)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I wondered if anyone could give me some advice about Italian resorts. I've skied a fair bit in France & Austria and am looking at trying somewhere different this year (and cheaper!).....possibly Italy, but open minded! We are a large group (14), with the majority being competent skiers (reds/blacks), we are also super geeky and tend to max out the lift pass as much as possible, so would like a good amount of km of piste to explore over a weeks holiday. I don't know anything about Italian resorts (or Bulgarian/Andorra etc) so would be grateful of any advice. I usually organise our group trips independently, but haven't had much time to do so this year so ideally looking for a package to make things easier. Bit worried I've left it a bit late now! Sadly we are restricted to February half term. Many thanks for any info or tips on resorts/areas to look at!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JessG, I and I'm sure many other sHs would recommend you take a look at the Sella Ronda region of the Italian Dolomites. Outstanding scenery, huge ski area available and very well maintained pistes. Plus numerous mountain restaurants with great food at very reasonable prices.

There are plenty of tour operators go there, or DIY is very easy to arrange, best airports are Innsbruck (you travel over the Brenner Pass into Italy) or Verona for the western resorts of the Sella Ronda, or Venice for the eastern ski resorts.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great - thank you. Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chat to Snowfinders, they are usually good at offering up options with as little or as much information as you can provide. We've used them a lot, they know their stuff and can advise on all fronts.

We did Sauze d'oulx a number of years ago now, but it was warm and low so that didn't go so well.... So I wouldn't necessarily consider that region.

We've done La Rosiere which connects to La Thuile, so you get France and Italy!! You can stay in either resort. The connection is a bit of a slog, but worth it.

Bulgaria won't have enough skiing for you - we did Pamporovo a lot of years ago now and it was fine for a 1st or 2nd holiday but not once you like skiing a good amount of km. Plus it just won't challenge you.

I use the following site to check resorts.. but you might not have the time to do so... and you need to have a bit of an idea but it is really good in terms of information about the resort and the soft bits as well - i.e. what is good/bad and how the resort feels etc.. https://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As @Alastair Pink, says Sella Ronda if you want piste mileage. Alternative in Itally would be Via Lattea resorts.

Grandvalira area in Andorra might suit though not on the scale on SR.

I'd avoid Bulgaria. Not big areas and IME pretty wildwest/mafia feel.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank for your tips. Will check out the Stella Ronda in more detail. Helpful advice about Bulgaria, that was my feeling having had a brief look at resorts there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JessG wrote:
Thank for your tips. Will check out the Stella Ronda in more detail. Helpful advice about Bulgaria, that was my feeling having had a brief look at resorts there.

Some of us thing the region is stellar, but it's actually Sella (Ronda). Madeye-Smiley wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@JessG, hi. If you are super geeky about piste km, then it might be useful to know just how big the biggest Italian ski areas are (as officially measured, rather than by marketing departments):

1. Sella Ronda 353km (for the bits connected to the main lift system, or more if including outlying areas)
2. Via Lattea 269km
3. Cervinia-Zermatt 261km
4. La Thuile-La Rosiere 152km
5. Madonna di Campiglio 129km

Grandvalira in Andorra comes in at 162km.

If you let us know some French / Austrian resorts you enjoyed in terms of size, I could add their official measurement too so you can use it as a benchmark.

You mention you prefer reds / blacks. Worth bearing in mind that (generally speaking) Italian slopes tend to be at the easier end of their gradings, especially compared to the big French areas. Partly because 99% of slopes are groomed daily, and partly because they are usually wide motorway-type pistes. Pistes are almost always groomed daily so mogul runs are almost non-existent, except on heavily-used slopes at the end of a busy day.

You can forget about Bulgaria Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For me it would be the Dolomites every time ...good value accomodation and you wont be able to ski it all ...try Campitello for value
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have a look at the Usteria Posta YouTube channel for the Sella Ronda
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’ve only flew into Venice and there are lots of flights from all over. Near Venice airport there are lots of hotels at good value if you can go a day/evening early. Since there are 14 of you, Venice Cans would be a good option to get to a resort to max out the ski time or get the Dolomiti super ski bus.

Food in Italy is a lot cheaper than France so factor that in to the reckoning.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cortina. Shabby chic. Can't get more Italian than that.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

...Food in Italy is a lot cheaper than France so factor that in to the reckoning.

And the coffee is a LOT better and much cheaper. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For something a different and Italian it's got to be the Dolomites Smile

+1 for somewhere on Sella Ronda, a vast area and opportunities for skiing to a different place each day. IIRC it's actually ca 600km of pistes including the "arms" if you're happy to use the odd a bus - val di Fassa tends to be the least expensive within which Campitello & Canazei have direct SR access and are served by the main ski operators. The further down the valley you are from the SR the cheaper the accommodation but there is a regular bus service. Selva or Corvara/Colfosco are a bit better placed but priced accordingly.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all your helpful advice. Wondering how you would rate Sella Ronda against the Milky Way? I am sadly very ignorant about Italian resorts so would welcome your opinions. I've found a reasonable deal in Sestriere but the reviews online seen rather mixed - mainly criticisms about the elderly lift system??
ski holidays
Not been to Milky way but Sella Ronda is spectacular and huge! Lift system is mostly very good - better than France, nearly as good as Austria. Restaurants are excellent and very good value. I spent 3 weeks there a couple of years ago and didn't manage to ski all of it and I'm reasonably speedy..... I've been filling in the gaps since then. The Dolomites are the best looking mountains anywhere - did I mention that?!
latest report
@JessG, I’ve been to both, in 2022, I was based in Sauze in mid Jan, snow was poor throughout the whole area with the best conditions in Sestriere, the lift system is old particularly on some of the key transit points from resort to resort, I wasn’t overly impressed by the area skiing wise.
In the March I went to Alba di Canazei snow was better, but the most significant difference was the lift system, it’s excellent, mainly fast lifts, some up to 8 people, gondolas and cable cars, the ski area I love, the actual Sella Ronda is a nice days skiing ( for me) it can be done clockwise or anti-clockwise, but there’s also loads of skiing to be had from each village off the circuit. If you think of the sella as a wheel hub with each village being a spoke off it, each with their own ski area and vibe, I liked it so much I booked to go back this year to the same B+B, and I’ve booked the same again for this season as there’s lots of skiing for me to still explore. Alba is a small hamlet with a couple of bars and restaurants, I don’t think TO’s go there, Canazei is livelier and has a few TO options the gondola is in the middle of the village I’d look for accommodation that you can walk to.
Do look at the austerity Posta YouTube stuff, he shows the area off really well, and his boys are wonderful skiers to watch.
snow report
Selva in Val Gardena in the Dolomites. It’s directly on the Sella Ronda but also has probably the best local skiing too. And you can do the Gardena Ronda round to Ortisei, Alpe di Siusi and back. Great food too.
Search earlier posts for more info.
ski holidays
Sella Ronda is spectacular, but mostly gentle skiing. If you like black runs there aren't many, except at Arabba, so I suggest you stay there. There is fantastic, mostly steep steep off piste, but you need a guide to find it.
snow conditions
+1 for Sella Ronda. Cortina d'Ampezzo, a mere stone's throw away, is worth a look.

Best for skiers. Not so good for snowboarders.
ski holidays
Quote:

The Dolomites are the best looking mountains anywhere

This is certainly true in my experience.

I haven't spent a lot of time there (just two weeks and one of them far too snowy to see the area at its best) but I'd agree with the comments above that the Sella Ronda itself isn't the best of the skiing. I'm fine with cruisy intermediate skiing with lots of super restaurants but the SR was significantly busier than other areas, with a fair few lift queues. (Early February).
snow conditions
1. Cortina
2. Sestriere
3. Cervinia
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy