Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ponte di Lengo /Passo Tonale

Poster: A snowHead
Hello any views on this area appreciated…looking to go end Feb for off piste skiing / touring.

Also it looks rather challenging to get there from either Milan Malpensa or Bergamo without hiring a car? Any shared transfers available?

Thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From the sticky "Public transport & shared transfer info" thread: FLYSKI Shuttle operate shared transfers from both Malpensa and Bergamo. If you are able to hire a car though, it'll probably save money as car hire is cheap in Italy during winter.

As for the ski area - it has some nice parts though it's not massive. Slopes directly above Passo Tonale are mostly a bit dull, though the bits at either end and from the glacier are better. Ponte di Legno's slopes are decent, with quite a few steep runs. Snow should be good at the end of February. Lift pass savings to be had when bought in advance. I haven't been off piste but I believe there are some famous-ish routes from the top of the glacier gondola.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks! Looks like only one transfer a day and times do t suit my flights. I guess it would have to be a car
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not visited myself, but a couple of my ski buddies have. Neither appear too bothered about going back. Small, dull and a bit bleak appears to be the general consensus.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 10-09-23 15:43; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It seems to have a good reputation for off piste. The SCGB runs off-piste holidays there.

From an on piste perspective, Passo Tonale is bleak and fairly horrid when the weather closes in. The tree-lined pistes at the Ponte di Legno end seemed nice when we popped across there on a day trip from Madonna di Campiglio.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@brownie, There have been quite a few threads on this resort which may halp you. Try searching for "Tonale" in the advanced search - title only.
It seems to be a bit of a marmite resort. I have been once and wouldn't go back. But there are a number of strong supporters. I would say it's quite down-market - so ok if budget is a major factor. It's close to the top of a fairly high pass and so, as has been said, can be quite bleak if the weather turns bad. My week was off-piste and I felt there was not enough terrain as compared to other resorts, for a good week off-piste (i.e. we did quite a lot of repetition). However, that may be just that you need to be a higher standard!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did a week in PT/PdL. Flew into Bergamo and rented a car. We stayed in an apartment in Ponte di Legno. A nice drive with the last few Kms on mountain hairpins.
Passo Tonale is a good beginner/intermediate place. Lots of modern, fast, lifts in a row, all above the tree line. Keeps snow well.
Gondola links Tonale and Ponte di Legno. The skiing in Ponte is thru trees, steeper and more interesting. I would say upper intermediate. Ponte is a nice, busy Italian town. Proper shops, restaurants etc. More geared to Italian visitors.
And there is also the glacier.
We enjoyed, but it was a quiet family holiday, on good snow, with modern lifts and a good price. A gang of lads may not enjoy to sedate night life.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the advice. Actually it’s the SkiClub Freshtracks week I was looking at for this. I’ll be on my own that week, hence wanting to join a guided group. My plan B was the skiers lodge in La Grave that I know well and love…but fancied trying somewhere new.
Given the slight challenges of getting to Tonale and lack of enthusiasm here for it I’m te,pied to go back to La Grave
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@brownie, can't advise on Ponte di Legno but please do us a favour and correct the spelling. If you do go there, look up the interesting (and harrowing) story of the First World War doings there.

Pronounced (roughly) Lennyo
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@brownie, My trip was a Freshtracks one but maybe silver/purple rather than the purple/gold one you are looking at. We stayed in Passo rather than Ponte and our hotel was v poor but I think the Ponte one has a better reputation. So maybe it might work for you as you are likely to be accessing more challenging terrain than we were capable of. I think there is a big difference between the feel of the two towns
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DCG wrote:
@brownie, My trip was a Freshtracks one but maybe silver/purple rather than the purple/gold one you are looking at. We stayed in Passo rather than Ponte and our hotel was v poor but I think the Ponte one has a better reputation. So maybe it might work for you as you are likely to be accessing more challenging terrain than we were capable of. I think there is a big difference between the feel of the two towns

Very helpful thanks. I am veering towards saving the area for a less cost committed trip with friends
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
@brownie, can't advise on Ponte di Legno but please do us a favour and correct the spelling.

Let me think about that…..nah, I’ll leave it as it is thanks
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, on the subject of the resorts / towns, Passo Tonale is a bit of a dump (as @DCG mentions). Ponte di Legno is a nice town with lots of facilities, big supermarket etc.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@brownie, Went once many years ago, not been back. Small ski area, +1 for Tonale "bit of a dump", PdL seemed nice, rapidly forgettable. Mad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@brownie, I take it that the transfers provided by Freshtracks aren't convenient for you. I can imagine that it would be a pain getting there independently
ski holidays
brownie wrote:
pam w wrote:
@brownie, can't advise on Ponte di Legno but please do us a favour and correct the spelling.

Let me think about that…..nah, I’ll leave it as it is thanks

Actually, Passo Toenail is absolutely the perfect resort for you. Get it booked asap and don't consider ever skiing anywhere else. Cool
snow conditions
DCG wrote:
@brownie, I take it that the transfers provided by Freshtracks aren't convenient for you. I can imagine that it would be a pain getting there independently

Yeah they fly to Linate from Heathrow and I’m in Scotland, flights from here goto the other Milan airports.

Given the hassle to get there and comments above I booked for La Grave this morning.

Thx for the advice
ski holidays
brownie wrote:

Given the hassle to get there and comments above I booked for La Grave this morning.

Thx for the advice

There are two places which rarely turn up in the same conversation!! Laughing
latest report
Try Findtransfers.com. I've got a quote of 420eur, return from BGY to PDL for x4 pax. Hire car was going to be 300eur, but once you factor in fuel/faff etc seems like a bargain to me.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy