Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2023/24. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
Just a Quick Look at the travel, should be OK for flying across the UK. Even the slim chance of fog at Glasgow shouldn’t cause bother. On the Alpine side it might be a bit grey but fine for flying.

On the roads, the forecast is for 29k vehicles leaving the Tarentaise, so a few queues mid morning. On the way up 28k, so much quieter than last week, still a few hold ups late afternoon.

As for the south west sector of the M25, good luck!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Watching with interest this week.

Coming out to Val for the first next next Saturday (23rd). Forecast is looking quite mixed this coming week!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quite mixed conditions today. Pockets of powder still available on north faces; raining in Breviers mid afternoon with nice end of season style slushy moguls; then snowing hard above Boisses. A bit clearer this evening for the Big Air competition.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mountain Shaker event has just been on Eurosport. Looked like sleety snow falling in Val Claret.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The rain turned to snow during the night and this morning we have about 5cm in town.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rather beautiful today and a tad unexpected 20cm+ of light powder in places and lots of rather heavier but skiable stuff without having to go to high.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi could anyone let me know that if I purchased a full area lift pass from tignes that I could start my skiing day in valdisere (my accommodation is there) ? Currently tignes is offering 30%reduction in prices in end of season promotion . I would be on the slopes 14th April to 19th . It seems you cannot buy a 6 day pass at the reduced rate .but a combination of 4 days or less ok .
Appreciate ANY ADVICE
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Any word on Tignes summer skiing dates Puzzled The resort website shows only last summer's dates (17 Jun - 23 Jul 2023)...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@vipul, I think the problem is solved - The Val site is now offering 30% off. And they are both offering 6 day passes (but there is something wonky with dates on the Tignes site, I selected 5 days and it offered me the 6 day rate!

Historically, you were able to buy a pass from one site and start skiing in the other village - Compagnie des Alpes are more joined up now - but I guess they still have to get agreement from 2 Mairies.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As promised, here's the weather. The precipitation will start in the next couple of hours or so and it looks like rain up to 2200m (+/- 150m) and this will continue through the night and into tomorrow morning. So a soggy start with an increased avalanche risk and a tricky snowpack to assess, where it snows 10-15cm. It should peter out around lunchtime and progressively clear, you may catch a glimpse of sun following afternoon tea, earlier if we are lucky. Tuesday will be springlike, a milky sky through the morning should break to leave sunny spells in the afternoon - should be nice. Wednesday should be a warm day with light winds and fluffy clouds on the peaks. It looks more unsettled from Thursday, so the models are disagreeing, but at least showers but still warm. So a springlike week, but a heads up for something much colder from next weekend as it looks like a northerly is setting itself up to bring much cooler air from Scandinavia.
Right, time to pack a rucksack and to catch a train across the Pennines. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway, thank very much , I have not kept up with your blog or Steve Angus thus year . Thought I would not be able to ci E out to Val this season . I notice that the old Mont Blanc lift is has not been working closed all week , any idea if it is going to open soon ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@vipul, Cheers! We have no idea on the Mont Blanc. Something serious broke (64 passengers had to be lowered by ropes). I suspect any parts will have to be manufactured as it’s such an old lift (42 this year!).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@vipul - thank you. Yea I doubt the MB lift will be moving anytime soon! Possibly not again this season at all!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Steve Angus, @chocksaway, Thanks Eh oh! Eh oh! . That must be a pain.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yea not great.... as Tommeuse is a Tignes lift if you have someone on a Val only pass you cant go past Marmottes at the moment unless you want to ski down to La Daille and the softer and usually bumpier conditions down there - doh!
snow report
@chocksaway, @Steve Angus, do think that the 30% discount will be avail be to purchase on the 13th of April when I arrive or Do you think it is a short time offer and advise to purchase on line before i arrive
snow report
vipul wrote:
@chocksaway, @Steve Angus, do think that the 30% discount will be avail be to purchase on the 13th of April when I arrive or Do you think it is a short time offer and advise to purchase on line before i arrive

My understanding is that its a set offer so you could get when you are here yes. Thats just my understanding though!
snow conditions
@chocksaway, First timer to Tignes on Sat / 'Dads & Lads' trip staying at Le Refuge smack bang in the middle of Le Lac (I think?) Any advice on -

1 - Current conditions / best ski areas for a mixed ability group
2 - Best apres bars in the vicinity
3 - Best restaurants (pref trad french) in the vicinity
4 - Best bootfitter (just in case my new boots give me gyp in an emergency) / Ski Service (wax and edges) in the vicinity
5 - Any other general advice

Thanks in advance!
latest report
@Steve Angus, thanks again tignes advert on Facebook “ limited stocks available “
snow conditions
@Belch,

@chocksaway, is currently en route to Tignes. It's looking a bit moist in 'Lac this morning but check chocksaway's forecast.

Trawl back through a few posts ref ski servicing and boot fitters. Mountain Story and Vallon Blanc are both close by.

Apres? In Lac you'll find the Loop Bar, Marmot Arms, Moose (a little further up the Gallery/Rue de la Poste). A 10 minute walk, or a short (free) bus ride round to Lavachet, and you have Brassero and QDC. Food in the Que de Cochon, whilst not trad French, is very good. Also KODO in Lavachet for a bit of Asian fusion food. Plus beers.

On the Hill, Marmottes resto near Val snowpark is always good value. As is the Sherpa in le Lac if you want something basic and cheap. Hungry kids? Take them to the Aspen Diner in Val Claret. Generous portions, be it sandwiches or burgers etc. Just a short walk from the snowfront.
snow report
@GeorgeVII, Thanks for the info - perfect! Hungry late teenager/20 somethings unfortunately . . !

Vallon Blanc is literally opposite our hotel - recommended for boot work / general ski service then?
latest report
Too warm today. Lots of snow, but sticky slush Sad

Pretty poor visibility (only really been in the glacier area so far), but the sun is trying to come out.
snow report
Just back from another week in Tignes/Val d’Isere staying in Lavachet. Normally stay in Val Claret so a bit of a change. First time doing a Sunday to Sunday and will do so again. Skiing on the Saturday was very pleasant and quiet. Managed to get in at the Corner as it was rammed all week. A couple of observations/comments. La Soli used to be one of my go to places on the mountain but I wont be rushing back. Standard has dropped with the new(?) management. I know this has been mentioned countless times on this thread and others, but I could not believe what I saw at lunchtime ‘ish on Friday after the Thursday night snow. Observed a ‘group’ (may have been multiple groups) walking out of the Chardonnet bowl at the Grand Huit lift of 15 and I counted at least 11 of them with no visible off piste kit. This seemed to be a common thread across the resort and appears to be getting worse. Also observed lone skiers off piste with no kit. Rant over. All in all a great week and I will be back again. Just a shout out to Tignes Spirit where I rented skis. Changed mid week from piste to off piste skis with no issues and decent kit. Also to TDC Ski (Gavin and Rab) for on piste and off piste lessons respectively. Highly recommended.
snow report
@Belch, (quote) Vallon Blanc

I've had 3 pairs done all with specific requests for edge angles. All came back as requested and the work was to a very good standard. A mate took in his very convex White Dots and we explained they needed to be made flat. They put them through 3 times and the eventual results were impeccable. Edge angles, again, as requested (tho' White Dots' factory settings are a tad bizarre for a fat ski). Ask for Mathieu or Damien and say that Bob sent you ...

From Bobski62's post.

For boot work/fitting Seb's name at Mountain Story, (snowfront just to the left of Palafour lift), has come up a few times.
ski holidays
@Belch,
I think the Refuge would be the definition of central in le Lac. Check out the le Lac webcam (click on the <> symbol top right to enlarge any of the webcams & control and zoom them) on en.tignes.net - the Refuge is slightly to the right (and a bit further from the camera) of the Maison de Tignes.
For apres & evening bars and eating out don't restrict yourselves to le Lac, the free 24hr bus service links handily with Lavachet (bus stop opposite side of road from Refuge terrace) and Val Claret (bus stop behind Maison de Tignes).
Restaurants - try La Ferme des 3 Capucines in Lavachet or Niurou in le Lac (I think Debs and Dan would be classed as locals by now).
For what is on where re apres & evenings the Facebook group 'Tignes Seasonnaires 2024' would be a good start, especially if you put a question on there regarding your preferences (live music, DJs, quiet drink etc), especially for the younger members of your group.
ski holidays
@Kenzie, Just checked it - ski in ski outtastic! (providing it hasn't melted by Sat) Genuinely looks like we've aced it location wise then!

Thanks for the apres tips; is the bus genuinely 24hrs and are they frequent? Have heard Val Claret is the yoof/clubs area?
ski holidays
@Belch, Clubs not my area of expertise. But CocoRico's is on the snow front in Val Claret between the Funicular and Lanches lift. It's also close to the bus terminus. Just be aware that skis and snowboards disappear with monotonous regularity from the racks outside. Plus some late clubs and bars in the centre of V.C.

Buses are very frequent during the day and into the evening. They do run 24hrs, but on a reduced service during the night. Get the Zenbus app on your phone to keep track of them.
ski holidays
@GeorgeVII, My raving days are also over (well not quite) however may need somewhere to dump teenagers when they get bored of us; will download app - is Val Claret to Le Lac walkable if you miss the bus?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Belch,
Quote:

is Val Claret to Le Lac walkable if you miss the bus?

Short answer is yes. There's a path directly across the frozen lake. But.... it can be closed off for obvious reasons if there's too much of a thaw.

If you load the Tignes app the bus timetables are listed under the "getting around" tab. From 8-30am to 9-15pm buses run "non-stop service". Then every 15 mins until 21-45pm. 30 min intervals until 23-45 (from V.C. then an hourly until 03-15am when it reverts to half-hourly again.
snow conditions
@Steve Angus, have bitten the bullet purchased online seems the sensible thing to do Collect on arrival Eh oh!
snow conditions
@GeorgeVII, Perfect thanks
snow report
@Belch, the walk takes 15 minutes. So early morning or late night, quicker than waiting for the next bus if you've just missed it.

If the path across the lake is closed there's another that runs more or less along the side of the road, dipping down to the lake's edge and up again here and there.
snow report
@bobski62, Thanks - just envisaging this happening based on drunken middle aged adventures / sloping off when required!
latest report
@Belch,
Try looking on these groups to find out what is on where:-https://www.facebook.com/groups/670519632962525
https://www.facebook.com/groups/149257458481247

The route across the lake can be seen on the le Lac webcam - it reaches le Lac by the #TIGNES sign.

It is also visible across the lake from the Chaudannes webcam (this gives the best view of the upper three villages, in my opinion).
latest report
Good to be back! After the 2 weeks delay, skis were donned this morning and had a charge round the pistes locally. So what's the snow like? Firstly and probably most importantly, the snowpack is still very deep above 2000m, indeed on my roof its very deep (and it faces south west). So plenty to last till April. Conditions on piste today were very variable after yesterday's rain to 2400m or so. Some was boiler plate, some nice, some soft and I suspect after lunch it got quite slushy lower down. There was also a nice selection of death cookies on the top section of Trolles. Its all down to aspect, sun strength and altitude - you just have to read it day by day. As for off piste - I didn't see anybody off piste today which tells you everything you need to know. There had also been a lot of wet slips on all aspects last night, some aided by te pisteurs who were very busy with the dynamite last night. I knocked off at lunchtime and went shopping in Bourg (a chap has to eat), very springlike down there at 16 degrees. Of note the Lac du Chevrill is very low, I had been told they no longer needed to drain the lake to service the sluices every 10 years, but it looks like that is what is happening. Another week or so and the buildings may well start appearing. For those familiar with the old bridge, the water level is below the foundations of that.

As for the weather, flabby high pressure dominates for a couple more days but there is a week trough on Thursday. So tomoroow will be warmer but it might not feel much warmer as there will be a milky sky all day, taking the sting out of the direct sunlight (and maybe preventing spring snow developing. Thursday should see sunny spells for most of the days with variable amounts of fluffy clouds. The trough may well bring more cloud late afternoon and we may get a dusting of snow late afternoon/early evening. The wind will also pick up after lunch Friday, another spring day with variable amounts of cloud and sunny spells. Saturday herald a big change, the temperature wll drop by 7 or 8 degrees, with sunny spells in the morning then rain and snow and wind in the afternoon, which will add a bit of spice to the inbound transfers. Initially the snowline maybe up to 1800m but by dark it will drop below Brev. The snow should continue into Sunday - should be a big improvement.

Belch - I think most of the questions have been answered, but I would add the terrace below your hotel is great on a sunny afternoon, in fact its so good people heading across the road with their skis don't look before crossing the road forcing me into a slow speed emergency stop this afternoon!
snow conditions
@chocksaway, I noticed at the weekend that the Lac du Chevrill level was looking particularly low and also wondered if they were reducing the level for inspection and/or maintenance.
snow report
@chocksaway, Cheers - fingers crossed for the first day dump on Sat!
ski holidays
@sno trax, could be either of those, or they are expecting an early spring melt
snow conditions
Hi, my group is heading to VC 1st week of April and I've been scouring this thread for good restaurant/lunch ideas and found many, thank you to everyone who has asked and answered these types of questions already! Specifically though, I'm looking for a recommendation for a group meal (12) one evening that would work for mixed meat eaters/vegetarians that doesn't break the bank as everything looks either not very veggie friendly or very spenny (for ref I think 26EUR for a burger is spenny)! Could anyone point me in the right direction in either VC, Lac/Lavachet?
latest report
@fitzlou73, Try the Armoise in VC, but book as soon as you get there, it’s very good value. But just check it’s OK for the veggies, not sure about the choice there (and the salads may have bacon bits in!).
If not Brasero in Lavachet (2 more bus stops on the way there compared to Lac, 2 less on the way back) for pizzas, burgers etc. Also Kodo in Lavachet do very good Asian Fusion including veggie and vegan, but they only have about 20 covers so call them before you leave! They are native Brits so no snags on the lingo!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy