Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SKI GLOVES - Hestra versus

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone have or tried both ? which is the warmest

Hestra Army Gloves v Free the powder gloves
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nope but my take on it is that Hestra are more comfy premium probably softer leather feel, FTP are more high quality build classic work gloves like an improved Kinco.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Old thread but if folks are looking for Hestra gloves a couple of sites have them on offer currently.
Limited colours and sizes I figure last years stock.
Got myself a pair of heli ski gloves and when Mrs G seen them a pair have been ordered for her. >£80
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is always -- https://www.snowshepherd.co.uk/ gloves - from a fellow SnowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whilst enjoying an apres beer outside of a very popular pub in Verbier with the Wife, I overheard a a beautifully attired girl on the table next to us saying to her pals. ''Pass me my Hestras please''. Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mollerski, is that unusual? I say it all the time ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
@Mollerski, is that unusual? I say it all the time ?

I'd say yes. Would it not be more usual to refer to your hand garments by their description ie. gloves or mitts, not the brand? I don't recall ever hearing anyone ask for their Decathlons to be passed to them. Razz By that token, would you say that you were going to take the car to pop to the shop, or the (insert car brand) to pop to the shop? Just curious. Cool
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mollerski, depends on which vehicle of my car collection I'm taking, really.

I have more than one pair of gloves associated with ski related activities, so specifying them becomes habitual. Likewise jackets. Although that's maybe more functional, i.e. ski, spring, touring? That said, when I've lost one, It's handy to specify "black Arcteryx" to Mrs U rather than just "black" <or> "Arcteryx" [/gear_junkie] Twisted Evil

Also, I suppose, it's handy when there are more pairs of gloves on the table to specify them, although that usually doesn't help as just about everyone I ski with has Hestras rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
although that usually doesn't help as just about everyone I ski with has Hestras rolling eyes

Dilettante. If you skied with more hard-core chums they'd be in Venitex yellow labourers' gloves. wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When you drive sh!te, wear sh!te and your friends are all a bit skint, it's better to gloss over the fact and just get the beers in. Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skijonuk wrote:
Anyone have or tried both ? which is the warmest
Hestra Army Gloves v Free the powder gloves
In true internet fashion, I feel inclined to point out that neither is warmest: mitts are warmer.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dave of the Marmottes, do not suggest that to Hervé https://www.zapiks.fr/pisteur-aux-grands-montets-f-1.html
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frankly, the only reason lifties etc wear work-type gloves is cost . Thery're adequate and cheap . Doesn't mean good, necessarily.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Roguevfr, The Venitex gloves are made of thick leather, it makes a big difference if you are frequently touching cold metal.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I really like my Hestras. I wont be swapping.
snow report
Tried neither. However on Hestra's website they give both 5 out of 8 for warmth and 6 out of 8 for mobility. Where they differ is durability with the Army getting 7 and the Powder 5. I guess this is reflected in the comparative prices.

https://www.hestragloves.uk/gloves/ski-gloves?type=Five-finger
ski holidays
I think Hestras are I very decent glove.
Other options are out there and people have the own preferences.
Mrs G got hers for >£80 for Army Leather Heli ski gloves. Not cheep but a chunk of the list price.
Mitts are warmer but she was not wanting mitts rolling eyes
Realistically below -12 and we are looking for a cossy hut. My days of being out in all weather is long past.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 4-09-23 21:22; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Hestras are a decent glove and if I was looking for the best fitting all leather glove at any price I'd probably go for them. On the other hand my Kinco mitts are now 8 years old and barely broken in beyond developing a nice patina from waxing. I suspect they'll outlive me. I have a $10 pair of Costco thinsulate all leather work gloves that are also looking pretty promising bar a bit of the chrome yellow coming off the finger tips.
latest report
Also bear in mind, some people expect gloves to do the impossible. Sometimes your hands will get a bit cold. And if you have Raniers (sp?) or whatever, nothing you buy will fully compensate. You may need warmer things that you can put in.
snow report
Layne wrote:
Also bear in mind, some people expect gloves to do the impossible. Sometimes your hands will get a bit cold. And if you have Raniers (sp?) or whatever, nothing you buy will fully compensate. You may need warmer things that you can put in.

*Reynauds , but yes, agreed. Just trying to point out that the " French binman" gloves or similar are used predominantly because they're cheap, hard wearing and those who use them don't want to spend a lot of money regularly replacing gloves due to wear and tear. It doesn't mean that they're as good, or better than purpose designed ski wear.
Also, those choosing them generally work outdoors in the cold and are likely used to it, and not 1 week a year softies like most of us.
ski holidays
@Roguevfr, I think "workman's gloves" is a bit of a misnomer. Workman's gloves could mean anything.

Gloves the "lifties" (and skiers) wear are specifically designed, as explained here and here for skiing and outdoor activities.
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
@Roguevfr, I think "workman's gloves" is a bit of a misnomer. Workman's gloves could mean anything.

Gloves the "lifties" (and skiers) wear are specifically designed, as explained here and here for skiing and outdoor activities.

French binman gloves is a pretty specific description. Regardless, they're designed/built with cheap/sturdy as their main requirement.
latest report
@Roguevfr, * Raynaud's ... Twisted Evil
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Roguevfr, * Raynaud's ... Twisted Evil
my spelling

Mine must be the fox spelling. Apologies.
snow conditions
Roguevfr wrote:
Layne wrote:

French binman gloves is a pretty specific description. Regardless, they're designed/built with cheap/sturdy as their main requirement.

You mean normal ski gloves are made to be expensive and not sturdy Laughing

From snowshepherd "The gloves resemble the classic Venitex FBF15 Chamonix bin men gloves in appearance but are actually designed as proper ski gloves."
snow report
If you're going to split hairs then I'd point out that that is one brand.
What design profile garment manufacturers use is up to them - I'd suggest warmth and weatherproof would be the main priorities, along with attractive design, not the ability to withstand shovelling snow 6 days a week .
Anyway, doesn't the fact that these are "copied from" but designed AS PROPER ski gloves prove that the originals are lacking in some department?
So what you have here are actually inexpensive copies of an original glove , and not actually work gloves at all.
I've no axe to grind here - I've had many pairs of gloves including hestras, but I've also found mant to be better than them. However, if there's one thing I'm not going to skimp on its warm hands , and definitely not for cost.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 4-09-23 17:50; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
@Roguevfr, I went skiing indoors yesterday. I chose to take my Venitex gloves, they were not lacking in any department.
snow conditions
rjs wrote:
@Roguevfr, I went skiing indoors yesterday. I chose to take my Venitex gloves, they were not lacking in any department.

how nice for you. Was it -20 deg and blowing horizontal sleet in there ?
Last time I skied indoors I wore running gloves. So what ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Drifting a way from subject as normal rolling eyes
It is the wind that seems to impact far more than the overall temperature. -16 with little wind not unpleasant. -5 with a gale can be horrible.
Over the years we have built up plenty decent kit but there are some days that are only ever going to be long lunches in a hut.
If I look down and cant see my skis for blowing snow there is always tomorrow. Little Angel
I know there are folk that revel in these conditions, good luck to them.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 4-09-23 21:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Garfield, while I generally agree with you, wind chill is (to an extent) a bit of a nonsense if you are correctly protected.
ski holidays
We've gone a bit 'Larry Labels' here. Hestra do make a fine glove and they have become the 'must have' brand, but they're not the only manufacturer up there.
latest report
@Roguevfr, I had several different pairs of ski gloves (not Hestra as I couldn't afford top end) and then all failed in durability (sometimes functionally too). My missus always banged on about leather being better. Anyhow a few years ago I got the snow shepherd ones for about £35 iirc and they've been great and proved to be very durable aswell functional - they are warm and weatherproof. Personally I like how they look but the wife and kids are less convinced. In fact my daughter got new Hestras at the end of last season. It just seems to me that if you can live with the looks (binman/worker) they are a good option.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@Garfield, while I generally agree with you, wind chill is (to an extent) a bit of a nonsense if you are correctly protected.

True but it's the wind that finds the week spots. It's not helped by the stop start nature of skiing. Periods of high activity then sat still on a chair inactive for a spell.
There is decent kit out there that is not overly expensive and stuff that you are paying for the label. Finding what works is the hard bit.
latest report
Therm-ic Ultra Heat Boost.
ski holidays
I had my old Hestras for 12 seasons. Skiing 40+ days a season. Had to change the inner glove a few times, and I always oiled them a few times. They last - forever
latest report
This.
snow conditions
I was a Hestra fan for many years. But I love my Free the Powder mittens. My hands don't get sweaty so the lining is staying nice. Hopefully they last as long as the the Hestras, which died after maybe 10 years (probably 600 days of use, maybe more).

I got both on end of season sales and they cost no more than any other glove.
ski holidays
Been bought as a present a pair of the Rab Khroma Freeride glove as my Hester army gloves are being supplemented by duct tape. Not work in anger yet but I anticipate they will be much warmer. I always wear liners with the Hester gloves. The leather is thick between glove and index finer so should be durable.
snow report
@Garfield, helps if ye aren't wearin' any cotton ... cotton'll kill ya. He he he.

I haven't found that problem nearly so much since I started layering properly with only synthetics (I don't like merino).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy