Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurl Christmas Market

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

off to Obergurgl on the 11th December with the kids (6 and 8 ).

We are flying into Munich as coming from the UAE, so I've tagged a day on at the beginning of the holiday to do a Christmas market. However I've just read another thread where some are panning the Munich markets. Is there somewhere better between MUC and Gurgl that we should consider stopping at? Currently staying near Marienplatz but it's on booking.com and unpaid so could change that fairly easily.

thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Innsbruck would be ideal for you.

Paging @clarky999, .......
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, Innsbruck is the obvious choice, and being a city you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a hotel for just one night. There are about half a dozen markets dotted about the city centre, including a lovely one at Bergisel which tends to be quieter than the main ones in the old town.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We flew into Innsbruck. Just be careful if you have somewhere to go after you arrive or return home - the airport is in a valley so, if there's fog, nothing is getting in or out.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@afterski, There are some nice Christmas markets in Munich though the one on Marienplatz is a bit touristy (though plenty of locals go for Glühwein). Other options (amongst many) might be, Weissenburger Platz (near Rosenheimer Platz S bahn) is really nice, not too big, pretty much only locals, another nice one around Münchener Freiheit, for something a bit different (a lot less Chinese tatt, vegan bratwurst stands etc) https://www.tollwood.de/en/tollwood-winterfestival/ on the Oktoberfest site. Most neighbourhoods would have them, the tourist office can probably point you at some. Personally if I was coming off a long flight, especially with kids I would not want to be trooping off in search of the perfect Christmas market, so central Munich makes sense.

Avoid Salzburg (despite being on the way to Obergurgl) way too crowded, it can be magical on a quiet Sunday morning and hell by Sunday lunchtime!

Some of the smaller Bavarian spots can be good Wasserburg or Traunstein for instance but is is practical to be stopping off there? Pretty much everywhere has them.

The best one I have ever been to was in a small village called Benediktbeuern, snow lying on the ground, picture postcard village etc but that was a one off certainly a long way from the tourist trail
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stick with Munich
Innsbruck markets are not a patch on Munich
https://www.mittelaltermarkt-muenchen.de/en Is my fav. A medievel market held in a square.
Ice rink in the main city centre ring as well.
Pity you are not arriving on the 10th, as I think that is the Krampus run this year.

Alternatively, look for advent trails in Austria, fairly lit trails, etc. They can give more ambience than a markets. Wandering through a woodland trail, stopping off at arts/crafts or kids events, etc. Especially at that age.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes that's what I was thinking with the kids. Basically they are small enough that it won't matter which market it is. We are only really making the stop to get them time adjusted really. 3 hour difference means a very early wake up for them which impacts behaviour and enthusiasm for activities later in the day. I just thought maybe I was missing a trick. With the travel time to Innsbruck I may as well just go straight through to Obergurgl so will stick with Munich.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is usually a xmas market at Munich airport
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gored, the "market" at the airport is a bit pants though, given it is in the square between terminal buildings and has a large McDonald's on one side, and is about 10 garden sheds. I've seen better in the UK.

Markets are at their best when they have an atmosphere of happy and relaxed people having fun. That's not possible in an airport full of rushed and stressed people, and instead it all seemed a bit sad as we and many others walked straight through it to get to the car hire desks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ousekjarr wrote:
@Gored, the "market" at the airport is a bit pants though, given it is in the square between terminal buildings and has a large McDonald's on one side, and is about 10 garden sheds. I've seen better in the UK.

Very Happy yep - I think that must be the worst Christmas market in Germany!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ousekjarr, @Gämsbock, Locals do visit, there is a fair sized ice rink. The stalls are pretty standard, much as you would find anywhere else. Agree that the location is hardly scenic but then many of the other locations are not that scenic either. To be honest there are now far too many "Christmas markets" most are not very interesting, Glühwein or Kinderpunsch tastes the same wherever you drink it and almost all of the items for sale are made in China.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'll be drinking plenty of Glühwein on the mountain! Mostly interested in magical vibes for the kids, but yeah I know the MUC square well so will stick with Munich itself.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@munich_irish, I think that's the problem - it has all become a bit too common, so there is nothing special about it any more, and the real handcrafted stuff has been swamped by cheap tat imported by the container load and then sold for €1 a piece to market traders who then slap a €10 price tag on it. In Bavaria or Austria at least it has a chance of real snow on the roof, rather than the liquid mud all too frequently found at the British versions which aren't in the middle of a soulless concrete jungle.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy