Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier advice please?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of Serre Chevalier for the first time in early-mid March 2024. We're a mixed ability group of "mature" years (!) ranging from "Gimme black runs" though lazy intermediates (that's me) to "I'm just along for the craic". Minimum party of 4 (without the non-skiers) max 8-10 if everyone who's expressed an interest so far comes along. Travelling mostly by train or car, maybe a couple flying.

Till now we've opted for nice catered chalets with easy access to the slopes, but they're becoming unaffordable for a few of us. We're hoping to find a hotel or chalet/other self-catered accommodation that'll be good value for money. As an indication, we paid £885 pp for a fully-catered ski-in ski-out chalet in Meribel in late March this year, and that was about the limit for some of the group's retirees.

Specifically I'm hoping for advice on the following:

Which is the best village/resort to stay in? We aren't party animals, so bars etc aren't as much of a priority as walking distance to a few reasonable restaurants and food shops.

Any recommendations for any particular hotels or chalets?

Is it a pain to get from Briançon to the main ski slopes? (it looks like a good bet for getting there, reasonable hotels / restaurants and enough to do for the non-skiers).

Any suggestions for other resorts are very welcome; France preferably, preferable accessible by train with a short-ish transfer.

Merci beaucoup!
Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@thetaxwoman, You'll all have a great time here, slopes for all levels!
Villeneuve or Chantemerle are in the centre of the valley ski area, so I'd aim for one of those, and Briancon is served by the ski bus, so easy access!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try Matt at snowedinnchalets.com. Spent January in La Salle les Alpes with them and it was great.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’m interested in this too. So there’s a night time ski bus to and from Briancon for dinner?
Which village has the best apres pub?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Le 1420 in Villeneuve seemed to be the place when I was there.
Also went to a Corsican place, which was indescribable.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Last year the ski bus ran til 22:00
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@thetaxwoman, we spend our time up in le Monetier-les-Bains. There are some very good restaurants in the village, two or three bars and a butchers, 2 boulangeries, local produce shop, and 2 well stocked supermarkets. Mountain-wise our apartments are 200m from the slopes. Contact melanie @ eurekaski.com for others in the residence (my own only sleeps up to 4, and is best for a couple). There's also the thermal baths, snow-shoe trails and access to mountain restaurants for non-skiers, ski bus to other villages too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Villeneuve.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the responses Smile After thinking it through, I realised that we needed a hotel with free cancellation, not a chalet (one of the group has health issues and needs that flexibility). Was lucky to chance upon a flash sale at a 4* hotel in Briançon for the week: 30% off, all-inclusive, posh-ish room, 300m from the Prorel gondola and less than £500 each. We've all booked rooms there individually, and the non-skiers are delighted, as is my wallet!

Now to work out the best way to get there without flying...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My wife and I are going to Briancon next season too. As we live 6 hours away we're driving there. However she has to go after two nights, while I stay the rest of the week and drive back then. She's working out how to get home via Geneva. Is there a transportation service or public transport option that anyone can recommend? We'd appreciate your advice.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skinomad, there's not a lot of options to go to Geneva. Maybe get a TGV train from Oulx-Bardonecchia, its on the Milan to Paris route. There's a bus service to the station. Briancon has a station too, trains got to Valence.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thankyou very much for this advice about the trains, that's useful.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy