Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Self catered chalet for DIY trip, where to look?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I'm just about to start planning a DIY trip to French alps (resort TBC). I will be looking for a self catered chalet. I was just wondering the best place to search for this and to hopefully bypass agencies adding on their fees.

Apart from the obvious Airbnb, is there somewhere I should be looking for self catered chalets let by owners? Is there a French site I have yet to discover...?

I know I could Google this, but this will only come back with a plethora of paid ads from agencies, thought i'd ask here first.

Thanks Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When you say "chalet" do you mean a self-contained building? They're quite hard to come by and likely to be expensive. Apartments are much more common especially in France. If you look at the Peak Retreats website you will see a good selection of accommodation in a big range of French apartments. Their prices include eurotunnel but you can knock that off.
You will probably not find chalets let by owners significantly cheaper than agencies. But if you set out here exactly what you want (how many bedrooms etc) you never know. There are some good ones in Switzerland too. Less self-catering in Austria, but it exists.

Which resorts have you been to already?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are also reports of quite a few "scam" rentals online. Using an agency has its advantages.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I guess a stand alone chalet or an apartment in a building would suit.

I'll take a look at Peak Retreats as a start.

Good note about scam rentals, I do recall reading reports of that last season.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dh900,
Choose your resort then find the relevant group page on Facebook & ask there (eg Tignes Seasonnaires 2023).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@dh900, I would start at the websites of the individual resorts. They usually have a booking portal as well as links to the agencies working in that resort. Almost all private owners will let through an agency.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
we use booking.com & local resort tourist associations, VRBO is also worth a look
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@dh900, try www.Chaletsdirect.com - they have a search facility but also a Solutions Room where you can post your requirements and property owners can respond with their offers.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Trivago.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dh900, what do you mean exactly by "bypass agencies adding on their fees"?

Some tourist information sites have lists or search facilities for direct rentals but I've also used local agencies and they aren't overpriced IMO. Then there is Sunweb and Snowtrex.

airbnb is a for owner direct lets - airbnb just provide the platform - or maybe I've misunderstood your question.

I think the chaletsdirect works well for bigger/standalong properties. Places for bigger numbers are rarer for sure.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is "Gites de France". Some ski properties there.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Unless you speak enough French to understand the terms of the contract (e.g. insurance requirements) it might be worth using an agent like Peak Retreats - they have a good reputation here on Snowheads. Their properties are mostly relatively upmarket - you've not mentioned your budget, or numbers.

Be aware that properties let by French owners won't necessarily provide linen.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Layne wrote:
@dh900, what do you mean exactly by "bypass agencies adding on their fees"?

I assume they meant finding a property's own website or other direct booking. Sites like Airbnb and booking.com add on a commission so we need to reflect this in our pricing, meaning that you'll pay 10-15% less if you book direct with us. I'm always astonished at the number of people who apparently don't do a quick search and seem happy to pay the extra cost - I had thought that one we'd been running for a few years with an online history and reviews people would be less inclined to pay extra for the peace of mind, but our ration of direct bookings hasn't changed much, except for repeat customers of course.

@dh900, In general my advice would be to simple look at the main booking agents that you already mention, then google the specific name and location of the accommodation to find the optimal rate. As stated, individual whole chalets are uncommon and command a premium price, but I'm sure there are others, like us, who have self-contained apartments within a chalet to give the chalet feel you may be looking for.

We're not in France, but in Morgins just a couple of hundred metres from the border post over to Châtel, so check us out (link in my signature) and feel free to ask here or privately if you have any questions.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
@dh900, I would start at the websites of the individual resorts. They usually have a booking portal as well as links to the agencies working in that resort. Almost all private owners will let through an agency.

This is what I would do. I have found excellent chalets at a reasonable cost doing this.

Peak retreats, as others have suggested, are good too. The apartments in the purpose built aparthotels are rather pokey though.

OVO network have also produced the goods for me in the past.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ditto - this is what we do and have always found somewhere, from small studio apartments to a proper chalet. I think you're more likely to get a chalet at a smaller satellite resort than in main resort.
snow conditions
try Interhome
snow conditions
SkiYodl seem to have some decent properties (and when I got in touch they seemed to have access to more properties than those listed on their website, so worth emailing them direct). Caveat that I didn't actually use them in the end so can't vouch for ultimate quality and they are quite limited in terms of which countries they cover though - mainly focused on France and Switzerland from what I can tell.
ski holidays
Local estate agents in resorts would be one of my first ports of call (done it may times ourselves).
snow conditions
To avoid agency fees and either get a slightly cheaper price or at least know the renter is getting the most of the money, not some random 3rd party it's always worth a bit of cyber stalking.

Start off going through the usual sources; tourist office/resort website, Vrbo, AirB&B, random "chalet rental <resort>" google search results and get a short list of accomodations you're interested in, then start digging.
- Sometimes the accomodation name will just be part of the listing, sometimes you'll spot it in one of the photos. If so try a direct "<accomodation> resort" google and see if that turns up a direct accomodation website.
- If you can't get the name sometimes you'll just be able to work out it's location in the resort from the photos/some google street view stalking. And sometimes that will give you the chalet name nailed to the front of the building and can google as above.
latest report
@Mjit, Sorry I have to disagree with this view.

First of all the rental agency is not "some random 3rd party". Where did the word "random" come into this (I get really annoyed by the random use of the word "random" when it means nothing of the sort). They are the agency maintaining the property, managing bookings, handing out keys, taking deposits, checking inventories, managing cleaning and of course the advertising that you use in your example.

When people approach me about renting my apartment I always point them to the rental agency and let them deal with it.
latest report
@dh900, How many in your party? If its a family group then an apartment should be fine. If it's a couple of families then either a large apartment or a couple in the same building. If it's a larger group, then a traditional chalet would suit, if you can find one.

As other SHs have said, use the resort tourist office website, or for a larger party call the tourist office direct, if you cant find something you like, try Peak Retreats or Erna Low (they include the channel crossing as part of their price) and then look at the usual websites - booking.com, chaletfinder etc

We've found great places to stay in France and Austria by going through the above process, with between 4 & 8 people.

If you decide on the resort, post here and people will point you in the right direction for accomodation.
snow report
johnE wrote:
@Mjit, Sorry I have to disagree with this view.

First of all the rental agency is not "some random 3rd party". Where did the word "random" come into this (I get really annoyed by the random use of the word "random" when it means nothing of the sort). They are the agency maintaining the property, managing bookings, handing out keys, taking deposits, checking inventories, managing cleaning and of course the advertising that you use in your example.

When people approach me about renting my apartment I always point them to the rental agency and let them deal with it.

The 'agencies' I was referring to were as I said the likes of Vrbo, AirB&B, resort websites, and any number of sites you can find googling "<resort> chalet rentals". These are just booking agents who offer the small fish accomodation providers a better chance of being found by prospective customers - but take a cut of the rental charge for the privilege. Now you may not use any of these but I frequently find the same properties listed on multiple of these sites and also have their own website and I've found more than 1 rental where the price was cheaper booking direct, simply because they set their price and then added each listing agency's cut on top of that so they got the same income, regardless how the customer booked.
snow report
@knackered knees, It would be max 10 people.

I've had a look on Peak Retreats which has a good selection so will most likely be booking via them.

Thanks for all the answers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy