Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heated Gear for Kids

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any experience with heated ski gear for children?

Our next trip is to Trysil and based on our other Nordic ski experiences (Are, Voss & Levi) our daughter got very cold, so she's been asking about heated mittens, socks and a jacket (as the standard chemical hand/toewarmer things seem very hit and miss).

I've seen stuff like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07V4BL8WW/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A2DBP7OQY6EO1M&th=1&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21

and this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clearance-Waterproof-Windproof-Charging-4-15Years/dp/B0BGZ5DSCJ/ref=sr_1_30?crid=2Y7FKTK8MTDXG&keywords=heated%2Bchildrens%2Bski%2Bjacket&qid=1693216530&sprefix=heated%2Bchildrens%2Bski%2Bjacket%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-30&th=1&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21

I was thinking of maybe those usb chargeable insoles as a solution too, but couldn't see any in children's sizes.

Has anyone tried heated gear and if so is it worth it and any recommendations (the reviews for the mittens seem decent, but unsure about the rest)?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting question. I have no idea, though I find the tea-bag warmers good myself, and have used heated socks successfully. One of my nieces got very cold - she was super-skinny - but she was very Stoic and didn't make a fuss. Was years ago, so long before heated clothing was a thing.

I know it's a silly answer in some ways, but maybe go somewhere less cold? Or at a less cold time of the year? The only time I skied in Norway (Geilo) it was April and too warm for comfort at times.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@vjmehra, mine use thermic heated insoles (as do my wife and I). I wouldn’t bother with the cheap stuff, or the usb rechargeable insoles without a standalone power pack - the cheap ones don’t have enough power. Get something decent and it will last.

Most of the cost is in the battery packs, so although they might grow out of their boots and insoles, you can keep using the power packs.

We use the tea bags in mitts as this allows us to have multiple pairs of gloves and mitts for different conditions. The teabags need oxygen to work, so most of the time I found they weren’t very effective in ski boots as there’s not enough airflow.

The other thing to consider is neoprene boot covers. We find that they make a noticeable difference.

Once you’ve sorted hands and feet, you might find there’s no need for a heated jacket.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w, we don't really have a choice for this year at least (I realise I made it sound like we always pick the Nordic countries, thats not actually the case), as we'd already committed to Trysil, I just took the view that worst case we can use the disposable toe warmers, was just hoping to find some better ones.

With regards to the disposable ones, are there any particular brands you rate?

@snowdave, do you know if those Thermic ones can be cut smaller? They only go down to size 35, whereas we need 30 / UK 12.

Interesting idea about the boot covers, had not thought about that, I also suspect you are right about the heated jacket, that is probably easier to deal with by layering up if she gets too cold (we have one day to ourselves before ski school so can always experiment)!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree with all of the above.

Cheap electric heating stuff doesn't work in extreme cold because cheap batteries.

You need to let the tea bags "pre heat" for 10 minutes before putting them in the gloves.

Neoprene boot covers work well.

Layers for the core. It's not fashionable but base layers or fleece with thumb holes means there's less chance of an air gap.

Mittens not gloves.

Facemask and check for goggle gaps.

Accept that very cold days means more hot chocolate breaks.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@vjmehra, thermic also does a stick on heating element which is what I used for our smaller boots. Requires a bit of blue Peter style DIY work but not difficult. I’m not sure quite how small you can cut the insoles before hitting the element.

I really wouldn’t rely on disposable toe warmers in boots. They take up a lot of space in a kiddy boot and rarely get enough oxygen to work.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bodies work by needing to keep the core warm enough for vital organs to function, and will pull heat from the extremities (feet and hands) if the core isn’t warm enough. So in order to keep the extremities warm you need to heat the core adequately. It’s inefficient to only heat the extremities. Kids ski gear is not always good quality. If you can afford top quality gear for her you can always sell it on when she grows. Good luck
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are heated gilets for kids on amazon. Maybe worth exploring? I find the Decathlon tea bag warmers for mittens work fine.

Make sure boots are really warm and dry before putting them on.

If her feet are really cold when you stop for a hot chocolate, maybe take them off and warm her feet. I remember warming my son's feet on my bare stomach but that was in an apartment - might be a bit much in a restaurant.....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ski boot shells stiffen up in the cold so be careful taking them off at lunch time... Nothing can cause tears faster than having to force them in again post lunch because there's no alternative to skiing down...
Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CathyAuLait, in terms of overall heat, she seems okay, its rare she gets too cold as she's layered up, but its always the hands and feet that seem to be the issue (that said as you say there are plenty of heated gilets etc. so that is easily solvable anyway).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, in Are she did actually find it better to take the boots off and warm up just by holding the hand warmers onto her socks, slightly different method to you I guess, but it seemed to work Happy

Ski school in Trysil seems to be quite short (I think its only around 90 minutes), so its quite possible its less of an issue than normal (as when she's with us its easy to stop if she gets too cold, its when she's off with ski school its more of a worry, but maybe that won't be an issue here).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@vjmehra, our son suffers with cold hands, he wears a Thin pair of liner gloves under his gortex gloves. I think we got them from Aldi. I have pair so and they were helpful this year when it was -17c I could feel the benefit when I used them.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy