Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere - where to stay

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we are a family of 5 (parents plus 3 teenage boys) and looking to go to La Rosiere 16th December for a week. We went to Sainte Foy last year and loved it but teenagers and my husband fancy somewhere bit bigger, they like reds and I like blues. We don't want to have to lug skis too far. and to be able to pop back to the apartment during the day would be good. Not familiar with La Rosiere but gather there are 2 areas, La Rosiere centre and Les Eucherts. The Alpen Lodge apartments look lovely in Les Eucherts but think might be better to be nearer the main lifts in LA Rosiere? Looking at Sky Apartments and Le Tyrol in La Rosiere.
Has anyone got any views on location and good apartments?
Many thanks
Clare
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sky is great
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you, I prefer the look of Alpen Lodge but think Sky might be better location.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've not been to La Ros for ages but I remember one detailed report last season saying how quiet it was - not the place, perhaps, if your teenagers are looking for some "apres action". I suggest you do a forum search and read up some of the trip reports about La Rosiere. When we went - twice - we were in a catered chalet with Ski Olympic and made our own entertainment in the evenings - we enjoyed it very much. I agree that being able to pop back to an apartment at mid-day is good - I'd regard that essential these days, with kids/grandkids who are otherwise exceptionally expensive to feed at lunch time!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. We aren't bothered by having access to lots of bars etc and is something we would prefer to avoid really, we ski, like a swim and then cook and eat and relax in our apartment, Sainte Foy was great and is smaller than La Rosiere I believe but boys just want a few more runs to try. As you say feeding 3 hungry boys is expensive so self catering is our choice!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's also why finding a good apartment is important for us as we will spend fair amount of time in it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pewiclewth,
So you won't be skiing over to Italy for lunch?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No idea!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Pewiclewth, skiing over to La Thuile (Italian side) could be a good shout in good weather (slightly prone to strong winds over the top) with hungry teens to feed at lunchtime. Usually much better value than France, as we’ve found skiing over to Sestriere from Montgenevre. The skiing on the La Thuile side is also very good
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Pewiclewth,

I had to use the La Ros App to find where those apartments actually are. They look pretty equidistant to the lifts in La Ros or Les Eucharts. It only takes on lift to get between the two locations - so I'd go for whichever set of apartments you prefer.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skitrack, stayed in Sky last January. Sky room is 100m away from the main ski lift - a small slight 20-30m uphill section in the morning and ski-in at the end of the day. It has a nice spa, nice swimming pool and close to the bakery in the morning (worth going the whole 25m in the mornings instead of getting delivery from the bakery the in-house bakery
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks - all very helpful. I hadn't considered Montgenevre but also looks like would be good for us!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are absolutely loads of places, @Pewiclewth. What else is important to you? And how do you travel?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Pam W, my husband and kids are better than me so we want a variety of easier nice blues for me and some more challenging reds for them, a good choice of slopes and where we can meet back during the day. Not a big resort, we had a day in Tignes and hated that, loved small Sainte Foy. We usually drive, self cater, not up for going out at night. Pretty traditional resort over purpose built, like Tignes, not interested in the expensive flash resorts. I will want to run as well, happy to go outside but a gym would be handy, guessing higher altitude is key as going early in the season. Any suggestions very welcome! Thanks
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We have been to La Rosiere and Montgenevre in December with teens and love both resorts. I think Hotel Alparena apartments in Les eucharts are the best option in La rosiere. Le napoleon apartments are well located in montgenevre. Maybe Montgenevre would be slightly better that week as it usually opens in early December and has more tree cover in case of whiteout conditions. We booked through peak retreats both times.
ski holidays
You could think about Les Saisies, @Pewiclewth. Excellent apartments very handy for the slopes. The immediate surroundings are very much to your taste - lovely, scenic, blues and an easy way down from all the local lifts. Good reds in Notre Dame de Bellecombe (often very quiet even at busy times like Christmas) and some safely accessible off piste too. A resort for people who drive - off the tour operator circuit, and no readily accessible on public transport. Very French resort.
snow conditions
Going back to the original question, while it is quite a few years since we were last in La Rosiere it was in Les Eucharts which worked out just fine. There are probably more runs converging on La Rosiere itself, and more restaurants there if you want to eat out in the evenings (though you can walk from one to the other, or take the shuttle) but I am sure you would enjoy either. And provided there aren't high winds through the pass, the connection to La Thuile gives you a lot of skiing options.

Obviously if you are open to other places there are going to be lots of suggestions, but you will need to check the snow record for mid-December. Montgenevre for example seems to do quite well, but the connected Via Lattea resorts (e.g. Sestriere, Sauze d'Oulx) might have poor cover.
latest report
I had my best ever European ski week conditions in La Ros last January. Powder runs most of the week. IT side though was windy and no Fresh snow and top slopes on IT side almost strip to rocks in places.

No real difference staying in either parts of the resort and the path between the two is very pleasant. The most important bit is how close you are to the lifts.

Re Sky - would happily return, ideal for family trip.

There is also one very good bootfitter if you in the market for new boots.

latest report
@pam w, I love Les Saisies and the rest of L’Espace Diamant. However I feel that both Montgenevre and La Rosiere would be safer bets for w/c 16th December. If it were the week after i think Les Saisies would normally be ok. There was masses of snow there at Christmas two years ago but this was due to a large snowfall just before.

@j b, whenever we have stayed in Montgenevre we have mainly skied in Montgenevre and claviere (rather than Sauze Sestriere) and there is enough in montgenevre/claviere for a weeks family ski holiday.
ski holidays
@Pewiclewth, only one reason to ski in La Rosiere is to go to La Thuille . The runs are nearly all the same but with different coloured poles interspersed by roads doubling up as ski runs lots of them , no trees which is important in Dec as bad weather days are more likely and it’s very wind prone , the skiing in Ste Foy all round is better . I would consider other options if you want more terrain . Also take into consideration this is early in the season and even if snow allowing it’s doubtful the whole area will be open .
snow conditions
Quote:

no trees which is important in Dec as bad weather days are more likely and it’s very wind prone

Oddly, I found the best runs in La Rosiere were down to Ecudets through the trees. Mind you there are only 2 of them. La Thuille may indeed be a better base and is a slightly shorter drive from the UK. I've never stayed there but it looks as if it may be more of a trek to the lifts from the accommodation than La Rosiere.
ski holidays
@johnE, the main s/c (plus a hotel) accommodation in La Thuile, is the Planibel, and is virtually at the base of the lifts. We we were able to ski back to there in very early January of a good snow year - not sure about mid-December but downloading is possible.
snow conditions
have had many good stays in La Rosiere, favourite appartment location is La Planinca https://leplanica.com/en/

Ski in/out onto the Manesier, easy walk to the centre.
latest report
JonA wrote:
have had many good stays in La Rosiere, favourite appartment location is La Planinca https://leplanica.com/en/

Ski in/out onto the Manesier, easy walk to the centre.

Thankyou - this looks great as so close to the slopes, thank you. Just bit concerned it might be very exposed in December as previous poster said, but guess no one can predict the weather!
Thanks
snow report
Montan wrote:
@johnE, the main s/c (plus a hotel) accommodation in La Thuile, is the Planibel, and is virtually at the base of the lifts. We we were able to ski back to there in very early January of a good snow year - not sure about mid-December but downloading is possible.

Thanks - looks like they open the 22nd, another time perhaps!
snow report
mooney058 wrote:
I had my best ever European ski week conditions in La Ros last January. Powder runs most of the week. IT side though was windy and no Fresh snow and top slopes on IT side almost strip to rocks in places.

No real difference staying in either parts of the resort and the path between the two is very pleasant. The most important bit is how close you are to the lifts.

Re Sky - would happily return, ideal for family trip.

There is also one very good bootfitter if you in the market for new boots.

Lovely photo, thank you.
snow report
@Pewiclewth, thank you, my little brother had to trek one hour down to take it. You could see the little church/chapel from on of the bottom lifts but not from the main resort unfortunately.
ski holidays
@johnE, I love those runs to Ecuadets but they are low and might not be open mid December

.@Rob Mackley, when did you last ski in La rosiere? There is now the newish Mont valaisan sector which is more challenging.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My Daughter worked 2 seasons in La Ros. Personally, I found the place quite underwhelming. Small resort with a few samey slopes and pretty much no apres.
snow report
Thanks everyone for taking some time to reply. I don't think anywhere is ideal mid December but that's the only time we can go what with family stuff at Christmas and school exams. Definitely a lot of food for thought!
snow conditions
Pewiclewth wrote:
I don't think anywhere is ideal mid December but that's the only time we can go what with family stuff at Christmas and school exams.

There are plenty of safer (higher) options and not south facing. The Dolomites have a fairly decent early season record despite not being especially high, or maybe Tignes, VT or Cervinia?
snow conditions
We did Christmas in La Ros last year with our two teenage lads and it was fantastic. Stayed in Les Eucherts and highly recommend the Alparena apartments.
Here's a link to the resort review we wrote (hope the link works!) https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5060171&highlight=rosiere#5060171
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy