Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pyrenees 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
Just had an epic powder day yesterday in Grand Tourmalet (Barèges). All day off piste in 50-70cms. Avalanche risk remains high on all aspects though so be careful, four blokes got stuck, and thankfully got out, of an avalanche on the Pic du Midi mid morning. More snow coming this evening. I can finally get my touring skis back into action and put the bike back in the garage for a bit!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 29-02-24 16:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can only assume we have few if any Snowheads down in Baqueira/Viehla.
Not sure about avalanche risk when my mate reports an Earthquake on Monday night.
3.7 magnitude and it sounds as if no damage done.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm gonna do a day trip on Monday from BCN, La Molina isn't worth it so I'm debating between Les Angles / Ax3 Domaines / Formigueres or Pas De La Casa. Does anyone know how the conditions are? I'm a boarder who likes easy off piste
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Let's just say that conditions are looking better across the board and with more decent snowfall forecast this weekend over the eastern Pyrenees, you may even have trouble finding upper lifts operating on Monday.
Apparently it got a tad windy on the tops above Pas yesterday. Local news reported gusts of 185kmh and unsurprisingly the road was closed all morning to traffic coming up from France due to the snowdrifts.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mrvinegar wrote:
I'm gonna do a day trip on Monday from BCN, La Molina isn't worth it so I'm debating between Les Angles / Ax3 Domaines / Formigueres or Pas De La Casa. Does anyone know how the conditions are? I'm a boarder who likes easy off piste

It's still looking green on the webcams (but there are signs of snow off piste) in La Molina and without the gondola open, I wouldn't.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
garfy1971 wrote:
mrvinegar wrote:

It's still looking green on the webcams (but there are signs of snow off piste) in La Molina and without the gondola open, I wouldn't.

yes! i'm wondering which of the others is in the best shape
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Rogerdodger, I live just a couple of valleys West of Baqueira. We had lots of snow here, they had a less the further East you go along the chain but I think they got a good top up. Definitely have good conditions here now (Tourmalet, Luz, Cauterets...)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pic from Barèges yesterday:

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@in garbure we trust,yes, we got less here and I think a lot more wind. It was still a reasonable amount. Probably the biggest snowfall of the season (which isn’t anything to shout about this year).

I skied for an hour or so at Pal today (in between work stuff). The pistes are in good condition but there’s not a lot skiable between the pistes. There’s snow there but it’s not deep or looking particularly enticing. Hopefully, that will stay there and provide a base ahead of the extra top of snow at the weekend (and a little bit tonight).

@mrvinegar, I’d risk it. My lad works in Pas and said it was good there today. Grandvalira are planning to open a lot more up this weekend so that’s encouraging. Snow is forecast on Saturday into Sunday. You should find something interesting to have a go at between Pas and Soldeu. Wind looks low on Monday. Tuesday might be a better day if you can head up then (snow on Monday night, sunny day Tuesday).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There was a dusting last night in the mountains. As I was walking the dog last night in complete dryness, I wondered where the forecast snow was so I checked the traffic cams. 8km up the road and it was pelting it down.

The amount of snow forecast for Saturday night has been upgraded. It's looking promising.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hammerite wrote:

@mrvinegar, I’d risk it. My lad works in Pas and said it was good there today. Grandvalira are planning to open a lot more up this weekend so that’s encouraging. Snow is forecast on Saturday into Sunday. You should find something interesting to have a go at between Pas and Soldeu. Wind looks low on Monday. Tuesday might be a better day if you can head up then (snow on Monday night, sunny day Tuesday).

Thanks, I think it's between pas de la casa and Ax 3 Domaines, Ax looks good on the webcams, lets see how the snowfall is this weekend
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mrvinegar, good fun today. Windy as up top but the snow was excellent. From mid station down it was fine though. Skied some runs that haven’t been open all season and for once it was possible to mess about off the side of the pistes. Didn’t risk going between the trees because it still didn’t look convincing yet. Hopefully will tomorrow.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Baquiera is excellent atm, with more snow tomorrow. There have been strong winds so the offpiste is a bit "interesting" and of course the avi risk is considerable.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CathyAuLait wrote:
Baquiera is excellent atm, with more snow tomorrow. There have been strong winds so the offpiste is a bit "interesting" and of course the avi risk is considerable.

Is Baquiera better than Val Nord or grandvalira generally?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mrmeaner, At the moment the West of the chain has more snow so Baqueira and West of there are a good choice. The most snow is in Pierre st Martin at the moment (as far West as you can go really) with around 2m of new snow and it's snowing again now.
snow conditions
hammerite wrote:
@mrvinegar, good fun today. Windy as up top but the snow was excellent. From mid station down it was fine though. Skied some runs that haven’t been open all season and for once it was possible to mess about off the side of the pistes. Didn’t risk going between the trees because it still didn’t look convincing yet. Hopefully will tomorrow.

Thanks ! Looks even better this morning and it’s still snowing so Pas de la casa it is
snow report
in garbure we trust wrote:
@Mrmeaner, At the moment the West of the chain has more snow so Baqueira and West of there are a good choice. The most snow is in Pierre st Martin at the moment (as far West as you can go really) with around 2m of new snow and it's snowing again now.

I mean generally. Is it considered the best resort in the Pyrenees?
snow report
And La Molina looks like a scene from a WW2 film in Norway! Delighted for it
snow report
@Mrmeaner, I think so, don't the Spanish royal family holiday there or something? I would have thought in and Grand Valira have similar sized areas, so probably joint first. There are probably a few quieter "gem" type resorts that afficionados know and love.
snow conditions
@mrvinegar, we had a fantastic day today. Knee deep fresh in places nearly everywhere. Snowing now too.

@8611, Jnr’s gf is here. She worked in Baquiera last season and is in Grandvalira working this season. She rates them both similarly. Her sister is working there this season and the snow has been much better there.
snow report
Sensational day today in Grandvalira! Spent much of it around the trees around Soldeu, so much fun, perfect powder snow Very Happy

snow conditions
@mrvinegar, fantastic.
snow conditions
Lovely and sunny but not too warm up the mountain at the moment. There's a decent amount of snow forecast for the weekend which will be a nice top up.
snow conditions

All great around here in the Hautes Pyrenees. Apparently Gavarnie has 2.5m of pisted snow depth at the top Shocked
ski holidays
@hammerite: How is the snow now in Andorra? I'm wondering how the off piste is holding up as I might go next weekend, perhaps to Arcalis
snow conditions
It's Formigueres for me on Sunday, there's a good 20cm forecast between now and then. La Molina may even become a worthwhile option this season if the 80+ predicted along the ridges from Puigmal eastwards happens.
snow report
@mrvinegar, we've just had the first complete covering of Andorra this morning. It was forecast this morning but I took a look out the window at 7am and decided I could have a leisurely get ready for work morning, only to get a bit of a shock when I looked out of the window about 20 mins later.

We're forecast a decent amount all weekend and into Monday. Avalanche warnings for most of Andorra for the weekend. Should have settled by next weekend though.
snow report
hammerite wrote:
@mrvinegar, we've just had the first complete covering of Andorra this morning. It was forecast this morning but I took a look out the window at 7am and decided I could have a leisurely get ready for work morning, only to get a bit of a shock when I looked out of the window about 20 mins later.

We're forecast a decent amount all weekend and into Monday. Avalanche warnings for most of Andorra for the weekend. Should have settled by next weekend though.

Did they mention about next week? Seems like a few showers are coming and the temperatures are going up by the looks of things. Then again looking at GFS it was like looking at a yoyo as it changes so frequently, hard to get a tell on what direction the weather will be like next week.

Feel like we might see the whole of Grandvalira open after this weekend.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Theobane wrote:
hammerite wrote:

Did they mention about next week? Seems like a few showers are coming and the temperatures are going up by the looks of things. Then again looking at GFS it was like looking at a yoyo as it changes so frequently, hard to get a tell on what direction the weather will be like next week.

Feel like we might see the whole of Grandvalira open after this weekend.

I saw that also, slightly concerning
snow conditions
Local forecast is for it to be snowy where it matters. It may get showery Canillo/Arinsal and lower, but the slopes should be fine.
https://www.meteo.ad/en/snowstate
latest report
@Theobane, it's possible it might all open, although since I've lived here the Grandvalira has never fully opened. There seems to be a few runs that never open but end up being 'off piste' itineraries. Montmalus hasn't opened all season neither has Pastora. I drove past Pastora yesterday evening and it looked perfectly fine with a decent amount of snow on it. Who knows!?
ski holidays
What are conditions like at casa/arcalis/pal and will they hold into next week?

I have a few days off next Thursday, and given I was supposed to go to Andorra early Feb, it would be nice to go this year. I've also run out of cigars.
ski holidays
Just about to leave Arinsal hotel for bus to Pal. About 8 inches overnight and snowing steadily so looking good, there was a decent base from last weekend. Don't know how it will hold, I'll leave that to the forecasters and locals.
snow report
The central and eastern Pyrenees are at this moment getting a hefty topping up, so next week is looking to be the best of the season.
Did I hear right that Ordino/Arcalis has announced pushing back their closing date a week?
snow report
moody_git wrote:
The central and eastern Pyrenees are at this moment getting a hefty topping up, so next week is looking to be the best of the season.
Did I hear right that Ordino/Arcalis has announced pushing back their closing date a week?

When you say central and eastern, does that include Val Nord and grandvalira?
ski holidays
@Mrmeaner, it certainly does. Check the live webcam out:
http://www.ordinoarcalis.com/en/webcam-ski-slopes-andorra-ordino-arcalis
snow conditions
Been dumping 30cms over the last 48h in Baqueira, silky smooth snow conditions, optimum snow at 1,700 and up.

my photo net
latest report
I went away for a night and came home (1,300m) to at least 30cm snow today. It was snowing all the way down to 500m as I drove back.

Should be great up the mountain this week. Will be going out tomorrow to just check that it’s suitable snowHead

@moody_git, yes, Arcalis is opening for an extra week. It usually does - it has the last two winters. Hopefully it will open for a bit longer too.

@Mrmeaner, yes, I expect it to be great here for a good while. There’s more snow forecast for tomorrow and Monday evenings too.
snow report
hammerite wrote:
I went away for a night and came home (1,300m) to at least 30cm snow today. It was snowing all the way down to 500m as I drove back.

Should be great up the mountain this week. Will be going out tomorrow to just check that it’s suitable snowHead

@moody_git, yes, Arcalis is opening for an extra week. It usually does - it has the last two winters. Hopefully it will open for a bit longer too.

@Mrmeaner, yes, I expect it to be great here for a good while. There’s more snow forecast for tomorrow and Monday evenings too.

Temperatures rising a bit next week, is there enough of a snow pack still?
snow report
@Mrmeaner, yes. This will last the season now. These temps have been fairly typical of this season and they’ve managed to eeekk out from a thimble of snow!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy