Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who has sampled the Alpes in the Summer?

Poster: A snowHead
Just a curious question really as it seems the majority of our Summer tourists in Alpe d'Huez are road cyclists, I wondered how many snowheads still came to the Alpes for the summer. Theres so much to offer in so many resorts it seems a shame that there aren't more people over here!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HappyMouffe and I are heading off to Westendorf in a couple of weeks - we were there ski-ing in January snowHead It is the first time we've visited the Alps in summer, not done much in the way of summer holidaying since we started ski-ing rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, we have spent weeks every summer in the Alps since buying an apartment. It's just as good as the winter - only different!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, Totally agree and going back for more in July August and September Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, me too
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mouth, Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We've got a crowd going out to Tignes on Saturday. Was supposed to be Hintertux as for the past X years, but apparently some minority sport's world cup is going on somewhere in Germany at the moment. which has meant that prebooked air fares were silly prices when the trip was being arranged.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Heading to Bourg St Maurice in the morning for 3 weeks

Kayaking, walking, mountain biking and even skiing are on the agenda with the added bonus of finishing each day with a cold beer by the pool - Just asgood as the winter inly different
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The summer here in Chamonix makes all the hard work in the winter worthwhile. Mountain biking, climbing, rafting, walking, bbq's, cascades, lakes, flora and fauna, long nights and a drizzle of work. Little Angel
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sarah@alpedhuez, I went to Schladming one summer and loved it. I haven't been back with the kids yet though, the boss seems to go for beach hols.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sarah@alpedhuez, I keep meeting Brits here at the moment. They don't seem to be snowHeads though! However, I've seen a big increase in the number of Brits doing summer Alpine hols in the last 10 years. It's a long slow slog, but it seems we'll win just in time for the end of summer skiing in the northern hemisphere! Sad

However, for some bizarre reason beyond my comprehension, many seem to go to (shhhhh) Tignes - why, when the Oisans are so fab????? We need to market ourselves better!!

ps: can't find any other competent riders - have asked everyone. Will text you.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It was due to walking in the Alps that made me take up skiing again after a break of 24 years. I did a lot of walking/treking in the Bernese Oberland based in Wengen so saw the ski slopes every summer and decided i would like to see them with snow on. I also have done the High Pass Route across Switzerland and the Tour of Mont Blanc so have lots of further slopes with snow on to see. Last summer i walked in the Dolomites so this winter i am going back there to ski as well as my regular ski trip to Wengen. Might even make the ESOB trip this year.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had a memorable trip to Monetier-Les-Bains and Briancon, amongst other places, in the summer.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep - summer in Chamonix for the past 6 years and again this year. All you get on a beach holiday and more, with the addded bonus of not too many chavs and tattooed football shirt wearing women if you get my drift.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great feedback - so why aren't there more people around?!! You are right easiski, don't know what 2alps is like but we have rested on our laurels and relied on cyclists but there are so many other things to do. Does anyone know what Via ferrata is in english or is it possibly the same?, I recently did the one is St christophe which was fantastic.
latest report
sarah@alpedhuez, we also enjoy our summer trips to the alps, but with a teenage daughter it is more difficult at the moment. It seems that winter activities are more fun than summer onse. BTW I think you should just stick with via ferrata.
ski holidays
I've been to the Alps twice over the summer - Bourg d'Oisans (near L2A) and Hintertux. One year the weather was fantastic, but last year it was cool and rainy, so I don't know if we would do it again as Mrs Z does like her lazy week in the sun.
snow report
We've done summer trips to the alps, mainly austria and loved it, but with a small person the focus is now on the beach. Will try when she's a bit older. I've only ever seen Via ferrata referred to as that, but unless you've been to an alpine place either winter or summer it's unlikely that the English would know what it means, can't think of any equivalent places in the UK (no doubt will be proved wrong).
snow conditions
stevew, Surely there are more things to do in an alpine resort than on the beach for small people? Check out the LDA website and see! Less danger of sand and sunburn too. Very Happy
ski holidays
We went to LDA last summer for our first summer trip. Had a great time and like easiski said, there was plenty to keep the kids happy. It's a very weird experience skiing on the glacier in the morning, then coming down at lunchtime to sit by a pool.

I'd recommend it to anyone
snow conditions
stevew, Just checked out the ADH website. Their brochure is http://www.alpedhuez.com/page.php?page=DT1143195223&lang=fr&codej=ete_fr&time=20060701102747 and ours is www.les2alpes.com for the Homepage. I found the home page of ADH not that clear, but the brochure is in .pdf and very detailed. Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, I think I'd get strung up by the wife if I suggested anywhere that I might be able to ski in the summer! Very Happy
latest report
stevew, Doesn't she ski? If not why not? We've got to get her skiing for sure. Today (as for the last couple of weeks it's been around 30 deg here in the afternoon - shuold be hot and sunny enough for anyone. there is a sort of beach by the lake, swimming pool and lots of south facing balconies. Kiddies soft play and slides etc and.... and.... and..... Just have to get her skiing. wink wink
snow report
easiski, to be fair to Jane, she's tried the skiing thing and hates it - basicaly can't stand heights - she came out to Saas Fee in Jan to mind Hannah but got terminally bored. Thanks for the info though.
latest report
I am goimg skiing in 2Alpes tomorrow, hurrah. Half-day skiiing followed by steak 'n' chips for lunch (four hours skiing = eight Weightwatcher points apparently, easily enough to justify piggy lunch).

However, there are lots of other things to do for non-skiing wife and family: swimming, golf, tennis, lazing about in the sun, donkey rides at Venosc, Adventure Park, watersports, summer luge, visit the beaver farm ............ etc etc. My friend has come to visit with her son for the past three summers and we haven't run out of things to do yet.
ski holidays
Lizzard, Give me a bell and maybe we can meet up?

stevew, Things can be done - I get serious vertigo myself (really) Not quite the same thing as being afraid of heights but close... As Lizzard, says - summer is much better. Also it depends where you go. My mum stopped skiing ages ago and always came but got bored. However some places are better than others (here for example!) visits to local villages and museums of alpine interest. Every restaurant on the mountain accessible to foot passangers (have to get over the height thing for that though), lots of shops and cafes .... That's just in winter. Very Happy

there are also places where you can ski which don't have lots of chairlifts etc. Did you spot the blogs from Ise in the winter? Smaller resorts with older uplift and no tour operator presence would be good for someone with height problems. Seriously, seriously, it can be sorted.
snow report
If I had young kids I would much rather take them to L2A than a beach holiday, even without skiing.
ski holidays
I spend a lot of time in the alps in the summer, though more often in the Vercors, Chartreuse,and Belledonne around Grenoble than in the high alps, and more often for hiking or mountain biking than skiing. However I've been over to Saas Fee a couple of times over the last few years with the Warren Smith Ski Acadmey and am heading there again this year in a few weeks.

I agree with Easyski that LDA is a much better prospect for summer skiing than Tignes, and the Oisans area is superb.

Easyski, what has the skiing been like recently? - it's been stifflingly hot in Grenoble.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bourg d'Oisans is beautiful in the summer, lots of walking (up) and mountain biking (down), love the place. Infact, i am the opposite to most, it would be good to see it in the winter as i've never skied that area!
ski holidays
Red Dave, Hot, but re-freezing on the glacier at night. It's been more an issue of rain in the afternoons with all these thunderstorms. Don't know how you can bear Grenoble in summer - I suppose you must get used to it!

stevec, Bourg d'Oisans is 5 times the place in summer as in winter. In winter it's a bit sad and depressed andnot many peeps around, but I agree - in summer it's super. It's still a good centre for skiing this area though if you're not too fussy about n ight life. Very Happy
snow conditions
A few years back we went summer skiing(July) in Tignes it rained nearly every day and there was 100% cloud cover all the time, temperature never got out of low teens. After 10 days we left and as soon as we went through BSM the sun came out and we had a very pleasant few days making our way slowly back to UK.
snow report
We stopped for lunch in Bourg d'Oisans a couple of weeks ago, on our way back to Geneva for the plane. We could have stopped all day. I can really recommend the Alps in Summer , we spent 2 weeks there a couple of years ago, skiing in LDA with Easiski, Mountian biking and rafting in Serre Chevalier, and a spot of househunting.
latest report
Easyski, a shaded terrace, a view of the mountains and a fridge full of cold beer helps; especially watching those storms rage around the mountains - very impressive!
snow report
Red Dave, Very Happy
snow report
Red Dave, My electricity jumps every thunderstorm overhead - major pain. Worse though is that the current to the lift in our building does it too, which means either that I have to stay at home, or that I have to walk up 6 floors to get home if I go out. Yesterday we lost the emergency lights as well, and were feeling our way along with our toes!!!! The storms must be well worth watching from the valley though.

kevinrhead, Ah - but that was the Haut Savoie! In Les Oisans we have an AVERAGE 300 days of sunshine a year - still can't guarantee it though. A couple of years ago we had two weeks of winter in the last 2 weeks of July. Improved the snow no end, but definitely felt cheated for 15 days! Shocked
snow report
 brian
brian
I've been 5 times now. Twice as a teenager climbing in the Ecrins park and summer skiing/walking around Stubaital in Austria. Spent a few days as part of an inter-rail post-uni, highlight was going to see the Eiger. The last 2 summers we've taken the kids to Deux Alpes. That started as an idea of introducing them to skiing but there being plenty of other things to do if they didn't take to it (my elder son is autistic so we weren't sure how it would go). The skiing was fine and they had a whale of a time on all the other stuff, trampolines, summer luge, cycling, swimming, parks, crazy golf, etc. etc. so of course everybody was keen to go back and do it again.

For a multi activity family holiday it's very hard to beat.

When you get a balcony with views like these it's even better

Very Happy
latest report
pam w, Hi pam w, Hi Pam - interested to discuss the apartment thing as we're thinking of buying - any tips welcome - rgds
ski holidays
TooBold, welcome to Snowheads! I suggest you start a new thread on "chalets and apartments" - there is lots of advice available here, from people with apartments in several different parts of the Alps. You'll get lots of great feedback and find we all have our own prejudices/preferences/priorities..... what are yours??
latest report
I've had some guests in my apartment last week, who have never been to the Alps before, not even in Winter. They live in Central London, and were delighted to get away from the hustle and bustle. It''s just so relaxing, even if you are climbing, mountain biking, skiing or generally being active.
ski holidays
Red Dave wrote:
I spend a lot of time in the alps in the summer, though more often in the Vercors, Chartreuse,and Belledonne around Grenoble than in the high alps, and more often for hiking or mountain biking than skiing.

Hi Dave,

You should check out some of the stuff we've done in the Chartreuse/Vercors, I've not put up all the routes yet (due to lack of time) but there is some good stuff.

http://pistehors.com/hiking/wiki/Chartreuse
http://pistehors.com/hiking/wiki/Vercors/Vercors
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy