Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

This is gonna get expensive

Poster: A snowHead
@under a new name, well that's comforting at least - with my extra wide 12s (47/48s in the Euro lingo), I generally struggle in the regular shoe shops.

I just want a pair of reasonably priced boots where my little toes don't end up squashed over the course of a week, and end up so numb that it takes 3 months for them to fully recover. Being able to walk properly in them also seems to be a fairly standard thing these days.

(Oh and no, no trains! Heaven help me if I even suggested that to Mrs RC Shock )
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

@Red Dave, it did work then..in the end

@holidayloverxx yes it did Cool
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

@Red Dave, Interesting you also mentioned Brides les Bains - it was on my radar, but the killer was that the gondola down from Meribel stops at 5pm - Rond Point is barely getting going by then!

Yes, that's the downside. Though there is a bar in Brides a couple of minutes walk from the gondola that does good priced happy hour beers Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Red Dave, whereas, I'm staying in a hotel with (apparently) the most insane apres in Mayrhofen. Perhaps not so much for me, but I suspect the kids will love it snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ratechaser, bruck n' stadl?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@swskier, indeed. Can't imagine why we never found it in our past trips, but then we were always staying at the Strass, with slightly younger kids, so they were quite happy if they could get in to the Eis Bär next door, and then go for a swim or strudel.

Quite polarised reviews of the place, some love the vibe and cheesy apres music, some hate the attitude of the staff. Will have to see for ourselves, but it sounds like a good base for New Years Eve...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Why am I paying - well, because I can and because I choose to

@ratechaser, I don't suppose you want to adopt a 39 year old son? Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
leggyblonde wrote:
Quote:

Why am I paying - well, because I can and because I choose to

@ratechaser, I don't suppose you want to adopt a 39 year old son? Laughing

Thanks but I'm already accumulating putative sons-in-law at an alarming rate so I'll have to decline your kind offer Laughing

On a separate note to everyone - as the subject of boots came up, what is a ballpark £ figure these days for a reasonable (ie not fancy!) pair of boots with those jelly-footy-setty custom insole things? I think I paid £300 for my last pair but that was over 10 years ago...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ratechaser, my son and missus are going to S4F 12th Sept so could let you know then. I'm expecting ~£500 a piece.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne, excellent, thanks. Was hoping more for something around £400, but... cost of living eh! Can't complain if they will do me another 10 seasons.

For that matter, if I last that long, that would be good too...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm enjoying this thread! Lucky kids and I hope you all have a fab time.... one of our long term reasons of taking the kids skiing so much is so they will want to come on holiday with us when they have a choice.

Also - Profeet in Fulham were really good for me, including alterations 12 months on
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

the subject of boots came up

you're not going to buy them all boots, are you? wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ratechaser, my boots aren't your standard boot, they're a race boot, but with the consultation fee, footbeds and race lifter sole with a discount for being an instructor, I paid £687.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Soozm, yes that's my thinking as well - they still want to come with us on the "good" holidays!

@pam w, NO!! Shocked
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ratechaser wrote:
@swskier, indeed. Can't imagine why we never found it in our past trips, but then we were always staying at the Strass, with slightly younger kids, so they were quite happy if they could get in to the Eis Bär next door, and then go for a swim or strudel.

Quite polarised reviews of the place, some love the vibe and cheesy apres music, some hate the attitude of the staff. Will have to see for ourselves, but it sounds like a good base for New Years Eve...

I cant get the point of it when you have the lovely scotland yard pub around the corner. I think the bruck hotel is next door to the apres so not like the old days of the strass / sport.....I went to the bruck apres once and there was more of a club vibe than cheese and couldnt get served a beer for love nor money.
latest report
@Layne, just following up on your earlier post - what did your son/missus end up paying for their boots?
ski holidays
@ratechaser, £1300 for the two of them.

A considerable increase in cost since I had mine - £470 5 years ago.

I could probably provide models purchased and breakdown of cost if that would help you.
snow report
@Layne, blimey, and I'd just about reconciled myself to £500 Shocked

Oh well, if that is a fair price I guess it is what it is... my current boots aren't fit to wear any more. If you do get a moment then details of the boots would be appreciated - assume they came with the custom insoles?
latest report
The last couple of New Years have been really busy compared to previous years - not sure why. Best avoided imho if you have youngsters to look after.
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, we were in Zell am See last new year and didn't sense it any worse than usual (there are certain lifts that are a good benchmark of what to expect and they were no more or less busy than prior years).

And as for NY 21/22, well that certainly wasn't busy for us in Italy as it was still so damn hard to go anywhere. It required quite a bit of determination, not to mention FFP2 masks, testing ad nauseum, and a pristine vaccine record. Once we were there, it was fabulous!

As for 'youngsters', no one under 18, and the newbies will be having lessons for at least the first couple of days so it will be fine. Mayrhofen's another place we know well, so if there are crowds, we'll cope. Can't be worse in the mornings than before they upgraded the main Penken gondola.
snow report
ratechaser wrote:
- any suggestions for good resorts where there may be some hotel availability (off the beaten track sort of thing) - needs to work for beginners and intermediates and have some reasonable apres/nightlife. Looking for half board in at least 3* standard hotels.

If money's no object then you can fit in most places at arbitrary dates, given a suitable hotel, e.g. Hotel Blizzard in VdIsere.

If you're on a budget, then, as per usual, I recommend Chamonix, which has plenty of inexpensive accom. for non-Sat/Sat stays, e.g. https://www.hotelcroixblanche-chamonix.fr/ or https://www.hotel-le-chamonix.com/

But, those are 2*. Here's a 5* for comparison: https://www.hameaualbert.fr

NB I've stayed at all four of these hotels.
snow report
@crosbie, thanks, ones to look at in future perhaps. As you'll have seen though, I'm already sorted now, and very very happy with what we got for the money (and hoping that view won't change after we arrive!)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy