Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alleghe in Summer

Poster: A snowHead
Many sHs will be familiar with Alleghe from the preBBWUW. I'm currently on a motoring tour and have just arrived in Alleghe for a two night stay. I was unable to get into the Sporthotel Europa as they are full, but am staying at the Hotel Alleghe (situated just below the Bierstube for those who know Alleghe). I thought sHs would be interested to see the Sporthotel view of the lake when it's not frozen over, so here's a short video I took just now. snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/u19d1uHCqvc
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Alastair Pink, for the first time in perhaps 20 years I'm not at the Ciclimino hotel down the valley a bit in Sala. I have to confess this is my normal view of Alleghe, warm sunny weather and violent thuder storms. I've never been in the winter. As you have noticed the Dolomites are e very very popular destination, especially this week. You were lucky to get into any hotel.

What are you doing while you are there - any via ferrata? Be careful up on the Civetta. Some friends almost lost their lives when struck by lightening. If you take the telecabine up beware, it closes quite early and is a long trek back. I know I missed it one.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@johnE, I booked the hotel Alleghe several weeks ago, the Sporthotel Europa was booked up even then. No intention of doing any via ferrata, I don't have a head for heights! Skullie Will probably take the cable car up to the top of Marmolada tomorrow.

Incidentally, a bit of serendipity is that tonight there is a fireworks display on the lake at 10:30 pm, something I knew nothing about when making the booking. Hopefully it will be a good show. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Alastair Pink, ooh, fireworks on the lake, how lovely. Look forward to some video! I do so love Alleghe (sorry to repeat myself Embarassed )
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jealous! Forecast is rain tomorrow in Galloway.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is a national holiday on August 15 and most of Italy appears to be on holiday that week so no suprise about the fireworks display. On the Monday itself they often have WWI reenactments around the Cinque Torre, though I'm not sure if they actually point guns at Hexenstein where the Austrians were encamped. . From the dam at the end of lake Fedaia there are a lot of WWI trenches, field kitchens etc worth visiting.

The traffic and parking can be horrendous. Last year we tried to do a climb on the Sella Towers but parking anywhere near there after 9:00 was impossible.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Having a pre dinner Aperol in the Sporthotel bar, the bar looks a bit different in Summer with gelati available. Madeye-Smiley

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Incidentally the Sporthotel currently has a sign up saying the restaurant is only open to residents, however Massimo said we could eat here tonight, the power of snowHeads! snowHead Madeye-Smiley

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Alastair Pink, Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cue name change! Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alastair Pink, say hi to Massimo!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE wrote:
There is a national holiday on August 15 and most of Italy appears to be on holiday that week so no suprise about the fireworks display. On the Monday itself they often have WWI reenactments around the Cinque Torre, though I'm not sure if they actually point guns at Hexenstein where the Austrians were encamped. . From the dam at the end of lake Fedaia there are a lot of WWI trenches, field kitchens etc worth visiting.

Likewise in Austria and Germany, the Assumption of Mary public holiday. In Hippach where we're now living they had the Schützen Bataillonsfest on Sunday 13th, and a Battalion from Süd Tirol were the "honoured guests" this year. We actually missed the event, but got held up with the road closure going to view an apartment.

Busy week here just north of the border too.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Alastair Pink, snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
@Alastair Pink, ooh, fireworks on the lake, how lovely. Look forward to some video! I do so love Alleghe (sorry to repeat myself Embarassed )

Here you go:

http://youtube.com/v/irAbrzOby8k
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Alastair Pink, Very Happy Very Happy
latest report

23/8 last year Very Happy it was actually quite quiet on the roads.
snow report
The top of the Marmolada looking a bit different in summer....

ski holidays
Piani di Pezzè (the top of the first gondola up from Alleghe)....

http://youtube.com/v/iGV7-bpwllE
snow report
The short 4 person chairlift at Piani di Pezzè is used for a kids tubing run....

http://youtube.com/v/qTUt0TnyUW8
snow report
And shock, horror the circus tent no longer has its red and white roof(I think it's furled up in the central pole you can see).

snow report
Of course when in Alleghe it would be remiss not to have a beer in the Bierstube, the Civetta ale was as good as ever....

latest report
@Alastair Pink, I've still never had a drink in there. But then I'm not a beer drinker. The wine bar up the hill from the Sporthotel is my fave drinking hole.
snow report
@Alastair Pink, never seen it in Summer. Lucky you - looks very enjoyable Very Happy
snow conditions
And of course the dolomite rocks above Alleghe put on their usual orange glow at sunset. Madeye-Smiley

snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, gorgeous
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
@Alastair Pink, I've still never had a drink in there. But then I'm not a beer drinker. The wine bar up the hill from the Sporthotel is my fave drinking hole.

Bierstube is good. Never been in the wine bar (oddly) but the cafe across the square is good for coffee and cakes, with the right company.
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

Bierstube is good. Never been in the wine bar (oddly) but the cafe across the square is good for coffee and cakes, with the right company.

You mean some cakes like this? Madeye-Smiley

snow report
I'm not keen on Italian puddings and cakes (too sweet for me) and I can't drink coffee. Just as well, the pizzas are temptation enough! Cue the pizza photo you posted on fb, Alastair.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@adithorp, The wine bar is good. Just the place to sit outside in the sun on arrival day! Nice wine too Cool
ski holidays
@Hurtle, You can get other drinks in the Bierstube and it’s well worth a visit. I managed to visit the wine bar this year and it’s excellent, so will be back.
ski holidays
Love the wine bar
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
I'm not keen on Italian puddings and cakes (too sweet for me) and I can't drink coffee. Just as well, the pizzas are temptation enough! Cue the pizza photo you posted on fb, Alastair.

Yes, last night I went to the pizzeria Rudatis (the pizzeria just on the left hand side of the road that goes left after the bridge near the gondola station and goes up a slope in the direction towards the church). The pizza della casa (tomato and mozzarella base with gorgonzola, mushrooms and smoked ham) was delicious, and great value for €12!

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy