Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurostar and airbags

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone. Going to St Anton in January and considering using Eurostar and trains. I’ve got a Alpride gas airbag with the two small single use cylinders. Does anyone know if it’s OK to take on Eurostar and what’s their policy? I’ve already searched on here and elsewhere but no reasonably recent answers. Thanks in advance for any answers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No problem ... Found it easier recently than the recent flight journeys. On a plane there are conflicting security requirements between the airlines and airport security (nearly missed a flight because of this), and you will not be able to take 2 cylinders (officially). Train is easier all round, and you take all your luggage with you so where you pack the cylinder is not an issue. I try to avoid flights now, not least because us skiers know more than most the harm of carbon footprint. Also I like the train: what's your planned route to St Anton?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can only book Eurostar bit at the moment. Have to wait till prices and timetable are released. Considering Interrail 4 days in 1 month for €232 (over 60 Eh oh! ️). Seat supplement payable on Eurostar and TGVs in France. Perhaps Brussels then through Germany. It covers train down to St Pancras as well.
I say bring back the Skitrain - Ferry (drink), sleeper train with ‘Disco Carriage’ (loads more drink), then wake up in St Anton at 8am Saturday morning Eh oh! . Extra 2 days skiing (leave next Saturday evening). Oh to be 25 years old again Eh oh!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@SeanH1, nightjet Amsterdam to Innsbruck, then on to St Anton?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If not going via the normal Paris route, I would also be wary about taking your skis/board.

I have no experience of Brussels, but had issues last year doing the night train back from Innsbruck to Amsterdam and then Eurostar home. Amsterdam Eurostar check-in people were adamant that ski carriage was not possible unless you were on the ski train, despite what it says on the website. Only after much discussion did they phone the train manager and get a 'special one-time-only exception' for me to take skis on board.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
oops

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 18-08-23 10:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was wondering about skis on trains after I noticed GWR's luggage policy which allows pre-booked bikes (and sometimes not pre-booked) but skis would be oversized and 'officially' not allowed. Its bizarre - can't imagine being stopped and have always found skis (even in large roller bag with clothes) fit comfortably enough in overhead luggage rack (albeit difficult to put up) - or upright in luggage / bike slots. No problem at all on Eurostar, they are well used to skis
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pisteoff, I had no issue with GWR when I did Yatton-Hintertux back in December. On my way back, the train guard got me to chuck them in the bike store section, but on the way to London I just had them up in the overhead shelf. Things may have changed since then of course.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am not sure the interail option will be cheaper with the additional supplements. Eurostar is £88 returns at weekends.

Snowcarbon suggests London Paris Zurich st Anton. No needs for overnight.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don’t know why I hadn’t seen that - Paris it is then Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's worth pricing up your onward journey over a few different sites (do it as one trip though, Brussels to St Anton or whatever you end up doing) as prices can vary and savings can be significant. The Austrian operator oebb.at is often cheaper, but sometimes it's DB who has the deals.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lucywuk wrote:
I am not sure the interail option will be cheaper with the additional supplements. Eurostar is £88 returns at weekends.

Snowcarbon suggests London Paris Zurich st Anton. No needs for overnight.

It depends where you're starting from. For a lot of people it will be a significant saving once they add in the UK part of the journey. For me, it's on the cusp and depends if it's a cheap or expensive day for Eurostar (and how early I book).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarlet wrote:
It's worth pricing up your onward journey over a few different sites (do it as one trip though, Brussels to St Anton or whatever you end up doing) as prices can vary and savings can be significant. The Austrian operator oebb.at is often cheaper, but sometimes it's DB who has the deals.

Yes I made this mistake and booked everything via the trainline, and paid way over the odds vs DB/ÖBB
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swskier, never buy from trainline. Its fine to use their site to get an idea of the overall trip, possibilities and connections etc.. But they jack up the cost something rotten vs buying from the train operators’ own websites.

Even when in the UK for domestic only travel, Trainline charge fees/commission whereas the U K train operators are fee free.

(And their Indian based Customer agents, won’t call it “Service”, are crap)

Rip off merchants!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ster, yes, made that mistake once, not again. Also fell foul of their "service" agents as well on that trip to Hintertux...
snow conditions
Seat61 is your font of all information. He will tell you everything it is to know about train travel in Europe and where to book to get the deals.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy