Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Started booking!! DIY not package - Going by train £88 Eurostar return Saturday in Jan

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quick question when are the French trains bookable?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 17-08-23 21:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like a weekend in Paris (sans skis) might be a goer. Nice find.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Lucywuk, last year the trains for January to March appeared for booking on I think 9 November. (Dec trains somewhere in Oct). I think the snowcarbon site have the exact date a bit nearer the time.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Lucywuk, often 90 days before travel
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shakira wrote:
@Lucywuk, last year the trains for January to March appeared for booking on I think 9 November. (Dec trains somewhere in Oct). I think the snowcarbon site have the exact date a bit nearer the time.

Thanks currently trains to the 9th dec are showing. I am sure it was October last year. But we needed up with a disappointing Travelski booking.

Prices at the moment for the French side train in Dec are around €100 return, so total travel cost will be around £200 pp which i think is a bargain. Transfers are about €18 return too!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Lucywuk, am I dreaming things, or did you write all this info in for the journey then delete it all and change the question? Either that or i'm going mad! Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Lucywuk, there is a timetable change on 10 December - I think it depends a bit on when they get that finalized.

From a thread last year, the dates were:
Wed 05 Oct: For travel from 11 Dec 2022 to 02 Jan 2023
Wed 09 Nov: For travel from 03 Jan to 26 Mar 2023

(I'm assuming you're heading to the Tarentaise - tickets for the Turin line that serves e.g. the Milky way were available earlier last year.)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
swskier wrote:
@Lucywuk, am I dreaming things, or did you write all this info in for the journey then delete it all and change the question? Either that or i'm going mad! Laughing

I was editing the title and managed to delete all the info Eh oh!

Anyway it’s a bargain booking the Eurostar now.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shakira wrote:
@Lucywuk, there is a timetable change on 10 December - I think it depends a bit on when they get that finalized.

From a thread last year, the dates were:
Wed 05 Oct: For travel from 11 Dec 2022 to 02 Jan 2023
Wed 09 Nov: For travel from 03 Jan to 26 Mar 2023

(I'm assuming you're heading to the Tarentaise - tickets for the Turin line that serves e.g. the Milky way were available earlier last year.)

Amazing thanks. I seem to recall this happening. I am confident they will have trains on the Saturday from Paris to moutiers. They always have had in previous years!!

The train is just so much nicer (and not really slower) and less stressful than flying. And it’s way cheaper too, with quick transfers.

We’ve driven too. But that’s more ££ with just 2 people. Even self catering the train was east we took a few essentials and that was enough
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
They definitely will. In early December I had to change change in Chambery, but in the main season there'll be direct trains. Agree on the transfers: I hate that 3-hour minibus ride from Geneva!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Has anyone done this and the direct one? How do they compare?

So it would be St Pancras International to Paris and then Paris to Moutiers (with or without a change at Chambery)? Saturday - Saturday?

Once in Moutiers what options did you take for getting to resort, coach, taxi, alpibus etc..?

Just trying to work out in my mind how much hassle it all is and cost. The direct one worked well and was part of a package. It left on Friday evening and then you had skiing on that day. The seats were very uncomfortable though - even the Premier Standard ones. I mean the Eurostar part will still have the same seats, but the ongoing connection would be different, I think.

Outward journey seemed 'tough' but the return one felt great! Of course one was overnight, the outwards one and one was from mid-morning, the return one.

Would going out late on a Friday and then getting a connection from Paris work at that time? So replicating the direct travelski train offering?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 18-08-23 14:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I haven't done travelski to compare, and I don't much fancy the overnight train on normal seats. (We used to do the couchettes from Paris before they stopped the route to most resorts).

Last January I went to Meribel: I got the 18.30 Eurostar on the Friday night, ate in Paris and stayed in a hotel at Gare de Lyon. I took the direct TGV at 6.30 am, and was in Moûtiers for about 11 am. Altibus up to Meribel, quick change, and was skiing at 1pm.

Obviously not a full day of skiing, but 3 hours to get ski legs back worked quite well.

To reverse the journey we got a taxi to Moutiers then the 9.45am train to Paris. I think we got to St Pancras about 6pm. I assume the direct train is quicker.

One thing I didn't like: the train home starts at Bourg, so there was no luggage space left by Moûtiers. But perhaps that happens on travelski too.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shakira wrote:
I haven't done travelski to compare, and I don't much fancy the overnight train on normal seats. (We used to do the couchettes from Paris before they stopped the route to most resorts).

Last January I went to Meribel: I got the 18.30 Eurostar on the Friday night, ate in Paris and stayed in a hotel at Gare de Lyon. I took the direct TGV at 6.30 am, and was in Moûtiers for about 11 am. Altibus up to Meribel, quick change, and was skiing at 1pm.

Obviously not a full day of skiing, but 3 hours to get ski legs back worked quite well.

To reverse the journey we got a taxi to Moutiers then the 9.45am train to Paris. I think we got to St Pancras about 6pm. I assume the direct train is quicker.

One thing I didn't like: the train home starts at Bourg, so there was no luggage space left by Moûtiers. But perhaps that happens on travelski too.

Cool, thanks for sharing. Yes, the overnight train was very uncomfortable!!

I guess doing it DIY means you can leave on the Friday, ski on the Saturday and check in to the property on Saturday after a bit of skiing - we were on the slopes by around 11am with the Travelski train!! It was a bit surreal with hardly any sleep!! But good to get the kit on and out on the slopes. Smile

To be honest I think the direct train faffed a bit.. In my mind it left St Pancras at 8pm and we arrived at 6am.. (minus 1 hour) Return... was ... Actually let me check the actual booking info!!

So...

Out 19:45 (GMT) - 6:12 (CET)

Back 9:34 (CET) - 16:13 (GMT)

Times are local ones though.

Although I think those times slipped a little, but not by much and I think the outbound journey would have been quicker but I guess the coach transfer drivers wouldn't have wanted us to turn up at 5:30am! it makes quite a bit of a difference, for them Smile

Lots worked well, plus as we had Premier Standard we had tea, coffee and a meal (think airline style) on the way out and return. Which saved us a lot of hassle and finding stuff en route.

Luggage space for us didn't seem to be a problem, but we were in Premier Standard, so fewer people in those carriages, so less luggage.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@eps, I would never use Travelski again and as I understand this years option you have to change train anyway.

I have done the London/Paris/moutiers by OG Eurostar both day and nights. I have done Travelski. And I have done my own bookings and changed in Paris.

I would only go DIY now.

We don’t want the extra ski days, as I have a dodgy knee 6 days is all good. So we stay at the premier inn hub at Kings cross £84 for the bigger room.

7:31am Eurostar
10:46 arrive Paris

12:40 approx is usually a direct train to moutiers. Or there’s one that changes in chambery.

We have had private transfer at £35 per person to La Tania. Booked via our chalet. Another time a free transfer from the chalet.
Another time we went to bourg and we’re staying Arc 1600 so used the funicular.
Moutiers to Les menuires there is a bus at €18 return. Depends on when you arrive

Lots of taxi options and buses to various resorts.

Currently the French trains are not booking but we’ve managed to get first class at not much extra. More space for luggage as well as comifer seats

Eurostar return I’ve booked at 19:12. Arrives London 20:30 to give us loads of time to get across Paris and maybe have a good meal in paris. Total Eurostar is £88
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cool, thanks for sharing Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy