Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2023/2024

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for the tips guys. I will let you know how we get on. Tomorrow and Thursday are expected to be sunny but I haven't found one weather forecast that's actually been correct yet lol
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JulieAimeLeSki wrote:
https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39175
This lift, if I understood correctly on the radio.

Love this lift on a powder day, can just lap rochu/bellecote and the faces underneath the chalet de bellecote chair.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another great day. Snow high up on piste is fantastic. Lower down. I skied the Roche lift twice early afternoon and snow holding up well and less icey than Monday. Pistes coming down from glacier veru good. But best overall was Inversens both this morning and late this afternoon.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
polo99 wrote:
… but I haven't found one weather forecast that's actually been correct yet lol
Meteo Tarentaise on Facebook is usually very good for short term forecasts.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
French forecasts are as accurate as English ones! I'm sat here on the Hampshire coast looking at an almost cloudless blue sky with brilliant sunshine _ the forecast yesterday evening for this morning was rain drizzle and grey cloud!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone in the know about the plans for the rest of the bellecote glacier? I.e now the gondola is running are they planning on linking up any of the old pistes with chairlifts to the new station?

Feels strange to have lost skiable pistes with the new gondola. Especially when it's hot and slushy and most people are cramped onto the one red.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ruswit, afaik it was done that way on purpose - to protect what is left of the glacier.

TBH in my many trips I've hardly ever been up there. It was always such a faff for relatively little skiing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pretty certain Layne is correct. You will note on the Yuge map how the Glacier de la Chiaupe area has been disappeared.

Meantime, for all the moans about this season it has been good to see skiers going down Andre Martzolf, when it and Emile Allais were closed all last season. And I've not seen Rochu and Bellecote open so much for a long time. Even Derochoir is still open. So up high is good.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Aye the black runs up there have been closed loads my last few years here, so a nice change to be sure! I guess that makes sense r.e preserving the area, guess there's always a balancing act with ski resorts wanting to market themselves as snow-sure but bringing machines and thousands of skiers into the area will have an impact on the area.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jonpim, yesterday both Emile Allais and Andre Andre Martzolf were fine after lunch so a thumbs up to conditions at present. Spent today in Les Arcs, also good
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Of course, after all the nice things I said yesterday, Rochu and Bellecote were closed today. Sad
Didn't stop a lot of people going down anyway, and from what we could see from Chalet de Bellecote sector the slopes looked just fine - certainly the between-piste-off-piste there was yummy, so presumably further up would have been lovely too.
Anyway, we've had a super day, helped by threatening clouds keeping the crowds away. Off to the side of Inversens being particular highlight.
That, and 3 hour lunch at Carlina Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We skied Bellecote yesterday but I wouldn’t say it was pleasant. Derochoir certainly wasn’t. We did it years ago when it was just an itineraire and can remember lots of bushwhacking but not the steep mogul field before the runout. At the bottom we saw a lad in a stretcher and while we ate our picnic a chopper arrived to take him away. As it passed over trees further down the valley I watched, what I guess was, a ski pole sail down from the aircraft. Naughty!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had a fun week in varying snow conditions on and off piste.

Pretty heavy going yesterday and some rain lower down. But looks like it has snowed maybe 20cm overnight at Plagne Centre level which wasn't on the forecast so that should improve things a bit for people arriving this week.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well done altis for bravely trying. My more experienced fellow skier thought the skiers coming down Bellecote and Rochu didn't look like they were having fun.
The orientation of Chalet de Bellecote slope may keep it more in the shade and hence retained some soft snow.
Certainly Derochoir is often full of unpleasant surprises.
Today with the trees all white does look rather enticing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
They were all closed again today although there we’re plenty of folks giving it a try. We spent much of the day doing laps on the Chalet de Bellecote chair. The snow is usually good in there and today didn’t disappoint. With so many routes down we managed fresh tracks much of the time too.

We had our picnic lunch sat on a pile of concrete blocks near the top. While we were there a pair of gypetes came cruising past no more than 30m away. Highlight of the day.

Weather for Monday doesn’t look good. Might be another day off.
ski holidays
@Jonpim, @altis, they both looked open yesterday afternoon but being on my own didn't fancy trying as the mogul fields looked daunting from the bottom of the chair both the red and blue variants and a little side were about the best bits of the afternoon. The morning Best runs were Frete as a complete freshy and Inversens still relatively untouched
snow report
@altis, currently raining in Plagne Centre. Not looking promising out there.
ski holidays
@sugarmoma666, ditto this side tho forecast is better for this afternoon.

https://my.meteoblue.com/images/meteogram?temperature_units=C&wind_units=mph&precipitation_units=mm&iso2=fr&lat=45.4545&lon=6.6932&asl=1212&tz=Europe%2FParis&apikey=jhMJTOUVRNvs25m4&lang=en&location_name=Champagny-en-Vanoise&windspeed_units=mph&sig=b0dc0dbd5c939bec6869d39f63fb97bd

We’re planning on driving over to Pralognan later and then skinning up to the Refuge de Col de la Vanoise with a view to attempting the Pointe de la Rechasse tomorrow - in the sunshine!
ski holidays
altis, just looked up your route. We know Prolognan for skiing, but we are no way as adventurous as you. Your route listed as "difficile" on Altituderando.com, so best of luck and stay safe.
snow report
I went out to ski this morning. Before 9 am it was pouring in Bellecôte. Very few people about at lift opening time. Everything looked deserted. Visibility was mostly not too bad. I had some GS runs on the stade de slalom de Belle Plagne. At the top of the stade it was mostly snowing from about 10.30am onwards, at the bottom part of the stade it stopped raining hard at around 11 maybe, with a drop here and there afterwards. We came home over lunchtime, my partner changed into a dry set of clothes and went out again. I'm still drinking a cup of tea. It seems a lot less wet outside though. Snow was very sticky all morning. We waxed yesterday evening but the feeling of being stuck and doing everything slowed down was very present.
ski holidays
We’ve postponed our departure for a day. Sat here in our apartment looking out at the fog and the rain we reluctantly decided that today is not the day. It’s been raining most of the time and sometimes we could see no further than the other side of the street. Up high the forecast showed freezing rain.

The Col de la Vanoise is a nice hut but the prospect of turning up drenched and frozen does not appeal.
latest report
Currently staying in sunny Champagny, absolutely roasting temps here. 1st day here for 3 weeks. Super slush this afternoon but snow got better and better the further and higher we went towards Roche di Milo etc.
latest report
Gorgeous weather today. Sunshine and blue skies. Morning training over in Champagny. Levasset at 9.10 am was very weirdly prepared, with big differences in height between the different piste bully tracks. The stade was in good condition. From 10.30-11am on Borseliers was its usual busy self. In the first hour after lift opening slopes were deserted though, people were probably still digesting yesterdays weird weather where it poured, slowed down a bit in the afternoon and the sun broke through at 6pm.
snow report
Does anyone have any recommendations for a bootfitter in La Plagne or Champagny? preferably one that can do punch outs or even grinding if necessary? Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions! (my current boots have a punchout and have had a bit of grinding, but unfortunately there is a crack in the shell at the instep, which is not getting smaller)
snow conditions
alanski wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for a bootfitter in La Plagne or Champagny? preferably one that can do punch outs or even grinding if necessary? Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions! (my current boots have a punchout and have had a bit of grinding, but unfortunately there is a crack in the shell at the instep, which is not getting smaller)

Belle Plagne Sports at Belle Plagne (Skiset shop in center village), ask for Lucas from Kléa's parents
ski holidays
@thierryd, thanks!
ski holidays
@Jonpim, we’re down safely after two days of perfect weather up there. Very little wind and sunny but with a little high haze to keep the power out of the sun.

There were no great difficulties except a couple of kick turns required a deal more precision than the usual fudge. But it does cross a glacier - probably benign - but you really ought to have appropriate gear and the knowledge so that does up the ante a bit.

At least that’s a couple of daemons off our backs. It was our first venture back into the high mountains since before Covid. And we got to use our glacier gear for the first time. I wasn’t going to bother but we caught up 25 squaddies who we just gearing up so, while we had to wait for them, we thought we might as well too.

In the refuge we also met a group of Eagles who had been touring the Vanoise and were on their way out.

Our log (click on map to see our route):
https://go-wellness.epson.com/neo-run/user/view/shareWorkout.html?shareId=023042023307495500000000000
latest report
Grim day here in Champagny

After the euphoria of the last two days we were late out this morning. By the time we’d clomped across the landing and up the steps to the lift I was already hot. In the bubble I shed a layer and when we got to the top we were walking in slush. Going up the lifts to the Roche de Mio we could see that things had changed a lot since we were last here 4 days ago. New sluffs had come down all over the place and the top of the Mio was claggy and incredibly warm. We only had a village pas so headed back down Levasset. The snow was very soft and grabby and we had to use almost the full length of the rope tow. We continued on down Levasset Bas. I had a shufty at the ravine on the right. We’d done it a previous year but now there were sluffs all down the LHS. Not this time I thought. Then, round the corner, we found a helicopter stopped next to the piste. That’s an odd place to park a chopper, I commented. Then, just a bit further on, we saw the reason why. A moderately large sluff had come off the LHS and run into the valley below. Right next to the piste, this is quite a common playground for off piste adventurers. There were three lines of perhaps 10 pisteurs probing the run out. Our hearts sank. There were plenty of folk who stopped to watch but felt too sick to linger. I have a 3m probe in my sack and could have helped but I felt I’d have been politely waved away. What’s the etiquette? We proceeded down and, with little inclination for much, headed to the Salle Hors Sac for lunch. We didn’t say much. After lunch, just as we were putting our skis back on, a snowmobile approached pulling a pisteur who was guiding a sledge. Inside, under the usual orange cover, was a black bag. It could have contained gear but, judging by the way the headed straight for the lift, it probably didn’t. We managed 3 more laps on Rossa and called it a day.
It must be one of those tough days to be a pisteur and even tougher for the friends and family of the victim(s) who we can only hope rest in peace.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 21-03-24 19:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow! Quote a post altis. It was good to know your pralognan la vanoise jaunt went ok. Very sad to read about the Champagny event.
We've been away for the resort for a few days, so missed the super warm weather - lovely down here in Drome.
We return for the big drop in temperature on Saturday. Commiserations to any one involved in the avalanche.
latest report
@altis, thankfully we with our 2 young boys didn't see that. Champagny and everywhere was slush from the get go. Hot and think rained overnight/ this morn? Saw a number of other callouts for sledges, imagine the super slush on pistes catching quite a few out. Looking forward to the drop in temps on sat. We're here till 10th April. Drove down to ekosport albertville this afternoon to look for bargains, got the boy some skis but still looking for myself! The volkl racetigers I'm on at mo didn't appreciate the slush!
ski holidays
Sad to hear about the avi incident. I was skiing in that area today but didn’t see anything.
It was not all bad today. If you like practicing moguls it was ideal as they were very soft. Even the big ones at the top of runs like Bosses were both grippy and forgiving. If only they were that easy when cold and solid.
snow conditions
We’re flying out tomorrow and the weather forecast looks like a mixed mag for the week ahead.

Does anyone have any local news on what’s forecast ?

Pistes definitely look quieter this week on the webcams, so hopefully not too bad on that front as well.

Crystal rep rang me from resort yesterday which was a nice touch and allowed us to get some much needed information in advance of traveling.

Sorry to hear about the accident which was awful to read about, however the information does need sharing so we can all be aware of the risks/dangers but it still leaves you feeling sick in your stomach for those involved.
snow report
Looks like there was no injuries/fatalities in the slide yesterday thankfully….

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0S9wL9aKCz5pGzKm37V6exdjoTvENFmYfxq3m6yzCz1qmmJGshnD6qtdDHhA3wd3Vl&id=100084046698865
snow report
Great news and thanks for sharing that.
snow conditions
Snow is forecast for tomorrow (Sat) morning with temperatures down below zero (rumoured to be -10c on Sunday). Rest of the week changeable. Pistes are not bad up high. One or two closures due to avi risk on high ground above. There have been numerous sluff slides this week. Etroits, Morbieu, Coqs & Palsembleu all closed because the steep slope on the other side of the valley has slid in several places. Same story for Kamikaze in the Champagny sector. Can still ski down to Roche and Montalbert but the pists down to them have been (enjoyable) slush-fests.
snow report
@chopkins13, glad to be wrong on this occasion.

We passed the scene late this afternoon and there was no evidence of any digging. However, there were several tracks across the debris already and a new, even bigger slide just a few hundred metres further down the same slope. It’s only been risk level 2 but I’d suggest caution off piste while it’s so warm.

Despite all that we had a good final day bouncing around in the slush before our early start tomorrow headed for Calais.
snow report
@altis, the avalanche in Les Arcs today that slid across a piste (twice) shows how difficult to predict this stuff is.
snow report
@sugarmoma666, I find it hard to understand why it’s level 2 at the moment with so much stuff coming down all over the place.
snow report
@altis, it was Level 3 on the boards I noticed in Les Arcs today.
snow conditions
If you are heading out here today, it’s currently snowing at 2000m
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy