Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crit air stickers

Poster: A snowHead
This topic has come up regularly https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/aug/09/rac-reminds-british-drivers-they-must-show-clean-air-sticker-in-french-cities . Nothing particularly new in the article though apparently there is due to be camera enforcement in the not too distant future. I guess it will apply to transit on urban Autoroutes.

Cant blame Sadiq Khan Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The link in that article didn't actually give a list of the places where one of these is required. Does anyone know?

I haven't got one of these, and have no idea whether I should.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you look on somewhere like the RAC site there is a load of info re the areas, together with the different levels of stickers.@j b, @j b,
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Info on here re. zones affected
https://www.ecologie.gouv.fr/zones-faibles-emissions-zfe
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another one of those things which you will probably never need, but for a few Euros likely to save you a fine or discussion with police in the event you do need it!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There are lots of scam sites around. Make sure you buy from official French Government site:

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
munich_irish wrote:
. I guess it will apply to transit on urban Autoroutes.

Not yet. If you are just going skiing no need for one but some ring roads will be included in the future
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks @SLB79, it looks as if one or two of the places where we have stayed or might stay en route to the Alps are on the list to introduce the requirement. I'm not worried about our trip in a few weeks' time but it is probably worth getting one before next year.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:
If you are just going skiing no need for one but some ring roads will be included in the future

What about Grenoble? I remember that being a bit of a pain a couple of years ago - I think it covered the road through Vizille towards Alpe d'Huez.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
If you are just going skiing no need for one but some ring roads will be included in the future

Has there been a kickback against the original expansion plans in France? Wouldn't be unusual...

I could have sworn that Reims was due to expand its ZFE zone to a much larger area and only allow Cat 0, 1 & 2 vehicles from January 2024. The current zone is only the very centre, the main road in and out to the centre, and Cat 3 is allowed.

It mattered to me because the expanded zone would have covered Tinqueux where the nearest Ibis to the A26 is and is a place I sometimes stop overnight. It would have also covered the big Carrefour opposite where I sometimes buy cheap Cava on the way back.

But looking online now, it suggests that the area is no longer being expanded from the centre and the Cat 3 exclusion has been put back to January 2029.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
davidof wrote:

Has there been a kickback against the original expansion plans in France? Wouldn't be unusual..

Yes but even before urban motorways were largely excluded.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BBC join the bandwagon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66449514

As it’s a small sticker and mines quite faded, I guess it will be APNR against the database camera system rather than a pic of the sticker itself.

Just be careful where you stick it as if you follow the French rules for the correct side for them you can fall foul of UK MOT rules, luckily only my Tignes Car Pass did this and Kev the MOT moved it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
Has there been a kickback against the original expansion plans in France? Wouldn't be unusual...

Yes, in Dijon it looks like their air is clean enough and the city won't need a ZFE after all:

https://www.bienpublic.com/environnement/2023/07/10/le-gouvernement-revoit-sa-copie-dijon-echappe-a-la-zfe

Which is good news as Dijon can be quite handy as a lunch stop.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Je suis un Skieur, you stop in Reims to buy cheap CAVA ??
Reims? I mean...WTF?
Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rungsp, ha ha, fair point! Doesn't have to be Reims, any big hypermarket will do. I'm fond of Frexinet Brut for champagne cocktails, no point paying £30+ for a bottle of Moet or whatever when you're going to stick Angostura Bitters in it wink

Frexinet is usually £11/bottle in the UK, it's £4 in most French supermarkets. Hard to find mind, usually buried at the back of a shelf miles away from the Champagne section. The French really don't want you to buy Cava! Laughing
snow conditions
You can get a nice Cremant De Loire for 4-5euros!
latest report
chocksaway wrote:

Just be careful where you stick it as if you follow the French rules for the correct side for them you can fall foul of UK MOT rules, luckily only my Tignes Car Pass did this and Kev the MOT moved it.

Swiss and Austrian vignettes also require placement bottom right of windscreen. I have all three and MOT pass, but may not be possible on all screens!
snow report
Mine is self adhered to a piece of clear plastic as I was getting annoyed buying a new one with each windscreen.....
snow report
@BigJin, in Austria its top left. ASFINAG States 'Attach the toll sticker - fully removed form the carrier foil - in a visible location on the inside of the windscreen (our recommendation: at top left or near the rear view mirror).'
snow report
Does anyone know how big the controlled zone around Paris is? Our campervan has it's sticker, but it's quite a high number (2011 diesel). Planning on heading for Spain in October, and shortest route is via Paris to pick up the A10 southwards - would we have a problem?
ski holidays
European driving is soon going to need a car festooned with stickers: environmental ones for France, Germany, ... motorway vignettes for Switzerland, Austria, .... (Plus probably quite a few more I don't yet know about!)
latest report
RobinS wrote:
Does anyone know how big the controlled zone around Paris is? Our campervan has it's sticker, but it's quite a high number (2011 diesel). Planning on heading for Spain in October, and shortest route is via Paris to pick up the A10 southwards - would we have a problem?

Are you planning on parking in the Bois du Boulogne or something?

ski holidays
dunc999 wrote:

There are Crémants from all over France - it's the modern term for anything produced using the Champagne method - but I reckon that the Alsace ones are head and shoulders above anything else, holding their own with some Champagnes, IMO. 20 years of living there may have rubbed off, but I like to think it's just given me the opportunity to try lots of it.

Lidl and Aldi own brand versions are currently just over 5 Euros and are both very very good. Some of the other supermarket ones aren't quite up there, but it's been a while since we scoured round to do the comparisons. 10 Euros or more can get you something really special, equivalent to some Premier Cru Champagnes. Wolfberger Prestige rings a bell, but it's been a while.
snow conditions
BigJin wrote:

Swiss and Austrian vignettes also require placement bottom right of windscreen.

Err, no. The Swiss one, at least, can be anywhere out of the driver's view. In the past on some cars I've tended to put it behind the rear view mirror, on others way down on the bottom left. Bottom right is also acceptable, of course.

In any case, this will be the last year we use them, the new E-Vignette now being available from this month. January will be the last time I have to do the old scrapy-scrapy removal of the old one.
latest report
Skiyeah wrote:
Mine is self adhered to a piece of clear plastic as I was getting annoyed buying a new one with each windscreen.....

Yeah, but do be careful Bond. If that is spotted you'll be in for a very hefty fine.
snow conditions
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
dunc999 wrote:

There are Crémants from all over France - it's the modern term for anything produced using the Champagne method - but I reckon that the Alsace ones are head and shoulders above anything else, holding their own with some Champagnes, IMO. 20 years of living there may have rubbed off, but I like to think it's just given me the opportunity to try lots of it.

Agree 100%. I often have an overnight stop in the beautiful Alsace village of Eguisheim, and always make a point of buying some bottles of local Crémant. Very Happy
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, I guess you'll have found time to visit the Wolfberger visitor's centre then? It's been a while, but I recall sampling quite a lot of splendid wine for free, not just the Crémants but other stuff including Reisling and Gewurztraminer Vendange Tardives and Graines Nobles, the latter being an absolute essential to accompany the fois gras also produced in that area.
latest report
@Chaletbeauroc, I think I may have been to Wolfberger's, certainly several caves in Eguisheim for a dégustation. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alastair Pink, I realise now that the one I'm thinking of is not the Eguisheim one, but Colmar. Huge great modern structure out of town on the 'bypass' at the foot of some vineyards. Wolfberger are the producer and négociant for many of the smaller growers around that area, and certainly the biggest name in Crémant d'Alsace.
ski holidays
@Chaletbeauroc, did you read that somewhere? The fine for not having one is only 60 quid, and the email while you wait to receive one says the letter is evidence. So considering low likelihood of being stopped in first place, demonstrated willingness to display the correct sticker which has my registration printed on it, I struggle to imagine this realistically an issue for my twice annual grenoble hypermarket. Gues I take my chances!
ski holidays
@Skiyeah, Not sure where you got that number from, but the fine is actually 200 francs for a first offence. Falsifying the vignette is apparently viewed as forging an official document, which has a maximum penalty of 5 years in prison. Shocked
https://en.comparis.ch/carfinder/autofahren/autobahnvignette
https://www.fedlex.admin.ch/eli/cc/54/757_781_799/en#art_245

But sure, feel free to continue taking your chances, by all means.
snow report
@Chaletbeauroc, are you talking Swiss motorway vignette and @Skiyeah is talking about French critair sticker, the fine for which is €68?
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, Furry muff, the comment was in between several posts talking about placement of the Vignette, so in the context I hope they'll forgive the mistake.
snow report
Skiyeah wrote:
@Chaletbeauroc, did you read that somewhere? The fine for not having one is only 60 quid, and the email while you wait to receive one says the letter is evidence. So considering low likelihood of being stopped in first place, demonstrated willingness to display the correct sticker which has my registration printed on it, I struggle to imagine this realistically an issue for my twice annual grenoble hypermarket. Gues I take my chances!

Yes you may well be taking your chances as automatic number plate recognition cameras are being brought in at the beginning of next year, not sure how that will work with foreign registered cars but for just over €4 delivered is it really worth it..
ski holidays
Hah, yep I was talking crit air. I could have been clearer, no biggy. On vignette, is a non stuck vignette a forge?

Back to critair, I would be good on automatic camera as all will look normal from outside (if a camera can really detect a sticker through a window....which i doubt) and my number plate is registered. Also if we do not have traceability back into the the UK for speed cameras (to my knowledge) reckon the threat of a crit air fine making its way back to UK residents not very likely.
snow report
@Skiyeah, I think you will find that the UK has now done a deal with most European countries (I dont think Switzerland) to exchange numbers for speed cameras etc. See endless whinges about London Congestion Charge bills to French, German etc registered cars. However given the Crit Air sticker is registered to a number plate surely the point is moot if you have bought one?

For the Swiss one a small amount of Vaseline or similar on the windscreen before lightly attaching it means it can be removed with a bit of care and transferred to another vehicle, given it is not registered to a particular vehicle I cant see how it could practically be detected.
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
@Skiyeah, I think you will find that the UK has now done a deal with most European countries (I dont think Switzerland) to exchange numbers for speed cameras etc.

Switzerland too. Been the case for many years now, although it wasn't back in 2001-2002 when I was still driving here on UK plates.
munich_irish wrote:

For the Swiss one a small amount of Vaseline or similar on the windscreen before lightly attaching it means it can be removed with a bit of care and transferred to another vehicle, given it is not registered to a particular vehicle I cant see how it could practically be detected.

Sure, only if you were physically stopped and inspected, but bear in mind my earlier comments about fraudulent use being viewed as a forgery.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, "think you will find" that is no longer the case post Brexit. Mutual recognition and sharing driver details went with Brexit

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoexpress.co.uk/consumer-news/100444/uk-drivers-escape-eu-speed-camera-fines-due-brexit%3famp
snow report
Quote:

Vaseline

Now we are talking!
snow report
Quote:

However given the Crit Air sticker is registered to a number plate surely the point is moot if you have bought one?

That's my thinking also.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy