Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I book my flights already?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey everyone,
I'm going skiing in January in France in Val d'Isere and Tignes and yesterday a new flight to Lyon popped up that is less than half the price of all other flights and of what I was prepared to pay. The catch is that it arrives at nearly 23:00 on Saturday and I'm booked so start skiing from Sunday morning.
I was wondering if it'd be an issue to find a shuttle to Val d'Isere since as of now, neither Ben's Bus nor altibus nor Snowcab have any timetable announced.

So basically, I would like to book my flight and secure these prices as it definitely can only increase from here, but I want to make sure that I will be able to find a shuttle of some sorts before I do so, otherwise I'll miss a half day skiing or so and that is probably not worth it... Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hakko, you should rename the thread to "Can I get a transfer from Lyon to Val D at 23:00?"

But anyhow, even if it were possible (and I doubt it) you would be getting into your accommodation around 3am - and I'm not sure that would work either.

There is a good reason the flight is so cheap!

The general advice on flights is book them as soon as they are released - although January is probably less of an issue than peak times.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hakko, doesn't sound like a great plan to me! can't believe you'll find a transfer.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not a chance unless you fork out for a private transfer in the order of 7-800€.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Layne wrote:
@Hakko, you should rename the thread to "Can I get a transfer from Lyon to Val D at 23:00?"

But anyhow, even if it were possible (and I doubt it) you would be getting into your accommodation around 3am - and I'm not sure that would work either.

There is a good reason the flight is so cheap!

The general advice on flights is book them as soon as they are released - although January is probably less of an issue than peak times.

Yeah I should have probably chose a different title for the thread lol, I assume it can't be changed now (?)

The flight was released yesterday, hence why it's so cheap I suppose... Personally, I wouldn't mind getting to the accomodation at 3am and get one night of suboptimal sleep if it meant saving a 100€ but I guess if it would be impossible to find a shuttle at that time then it's obviously immediately out of the question...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hakko, you can edit the thread title if you edit your first post (using the scissors button). But I think you already have your answer, any saving on the flight will be lost because of the lack of cheap transfers at that time.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Doubt you would get a transfer at that time, unless cabbie wants to VdI for collection early on Sat morning & happy to sleep in the vehicle!
Rental desks would be closed by then.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hakko, I have never had to look at transfers from Lyon but - generalising - Geneva has a much more developed transfer infrastructure and I'm reasonably sure I couldn't get myself home to Chamonix from Geneva at that hour!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hakko, could sleep at station and catch a train first thing, arrive resort via taxi late morning? Only miss 2-3 hours skiing, potentially worth it, not ideal but could work.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29 wrote:
@Hakko, could sleep at station and catch a train first thing, arrive resort via taxi late morning? Only miss 2-3 hours skiing, potentially worth it, not ideal but could work.

At which stage the €100 saving on the flight is more than gone
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@Hakko, I have never had to look at transfers from Lyon but - generalising - Geneva has a much more developed transfer infrastructure and I'm reasonably sure I couldn't get myself home to Chamonix from Geneva at that hour!

Would think France's 2nd biggest metropolis area have a very good developed infrastructure.
I prefer Lyon to Chambery. Transfers are not that much longer, plus you get an international airport compared to a cow-shed.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Markymark29, The Swiss take a dim view of that sort of thing!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How would you get into your accommodation at 3am?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, what sort of thing is that?
snow report
@Markymark29, sleeping in stations?
latest report
Fly out the day before if still same price get a cheap hotel somewhere then get an early transfer following morning and ski by 10am.
snow report
@Gainz, "cheap" hotel in Geneva?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
@under a new name, presumably @Gainz was referring to getting a cheap hotel in Lyon?
snow conditions
Is it worth checking Friday night flights to see if they are as cheap?

Still got the issues of late transfer/arrival at airport but you could stay over Friday night near airport and get morning transfer.

Won't miss any skiing time, and will give you a few hours to relax on the Saturday.
latest report
@Alastair Pink, @Markymark29, ooops! I seemed to have reckoned it was Geneva ...
snow report
@Hakko, Wait until BA do a (usually short) "Sale" period. There can be great prices on a substantial number of European airports in striking distance of ski resorts including Val/Tignes. If you can, try to avoid main change-over days - Sat/Sun, lots of congestion.
ski holidays
@under a new name, my nephew found a cheep hotel in Geneva where apparently you could rent rooms by the hour
ski holidays
@johnE, sounds dodgy wink
snow report
@skimastaaah, but “booked to start skiing Sunday” …
ski holidays
Sorry I did mean Geneva. Found cheap hotels in the past. Maybe they're more expensive now but still viable option.
ski holidays
The "Stars" hotel (ex Formule 1) near the barbed-wire fringed road exit from the French side of Gva is pretty cheap.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy