Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for different resort where my wife can go winter hiking

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
buchanan101 wrote:
BigJin wrote:
Yes there is a 5 minute bus ride at the bottom of KiWest (each way) and they are frequent. There is a planned lift - but no sign of when it might materialise.

Ellmau to Paß Thurn and back is reportedly doable in a day - just. When I did Hopfgarten to PT, we had a 30 min coffee stop and an hour lunchstop. So can see the extra distance to Ellmau would be doable, if going non stop.

If you managed to get as far as Soll, then I think (but double check!) there are busses back to Ellmau.

The furthest point, by road, is the Hollersbach mid station. About 45 mins from Ellmau. So a taxi back won't bust the bank. But busses from there to Kitzbühel would cut the cost. Westendorf would be the longest away without bus help - about 30 minutes.

In a similar vein, if there's an early morning bus to Soll, that would give you a jump start.

Thanks for that. I start early and don't stop much (an early lunch to avoid queues). Will be on the 8am Gondola from Ellmau. I did the Sella Ronda in both directions one day last March in quite soft conditions, plus a couple of detours (Selva>CW to Selva>CCW to Selva) with time to spare. 34 lifts and 65km skied

Not sure starting from Soll helps that much.

There is a website (can't find it now) that shows tours of the combined area, but that includes valley runs, which is daft (and seems way too long to do in a day).

The slow 3 man and longish T bar on the way back from Pass Thurn have now been replaced which helps...

Going from Söll cuts out quite a few lifts, it's one run down to Brixen from Höhe Salve (albeit on blacks). But may not shave enough time to make the hassle of bussing worth it.

I normally ski Kitzski from Hollersbach so the three man and T-bar don't tend to have queues, as most of the traffic is the other way. But replacing the T-bar is long awaited, it was a real deterrent to snowboarders when I've taken a mixed group!

Detours: do do the run down to the Hollersbach mid-station, not only because it takes you to the far end of the area, but it's a great piste, and nice gondola ride back up.
Do take the red run down to the chair at Paß Thurn, again a lovely run.
Don't take the long blue down to PT, it's a long, sometimes slow, blue track, with an annoying little climb up to the lift at tge end. Use the top chairs instead.
Maybe save for another day, but the Streif to the Hannekam is definitely worth it! You can use the family run, unless you're insane and really want to try the Mausafalle!
Also do do 26 into 25b heading towards Kirchberg, but diverting off to the FleckalmBahn - fantastic blue run. It's normally open until the last day of the season in late April, where you have the surreal experience of skiing on a long, narrow, strip of white across green fields, with cows at the side of the slope munching on spring flowers! Even on days with temperatures in the mid 20s they keep it open, with surprisingly good snow!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@BigJin, yes the Red down to PT is great. Best runs in kitz up there for conditions but mostly short. There’s the usual pile of snow sitting under plastic and insulation (see webcams) on the short red so Kitz can be the first non glacier resort to “open”

I’ve done the Streif before - one year with awful snow - used to do it a couple of times on a loop before meeting SkiClub GB (as they always start so late…). Just about given up skiing with them. Too much waiting.

Actually looking at the map it’s Hollersbach run I’m saying is great.

Should be fairly quick from Ellmau to Brixen at 8am. No queues. I’ve only done 3 days in SkiWelt (well, since back the 80s). I might have missed a better way but I couldn’t avoid that pair of old clanky 4 man chairs in going towards Soll. I think it’s only a gondola and 4 chairs to get the 1A to Brixen though. That’s barely an hour…
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Trying to make out lifts and runs from GoogleMaps I may have missed a way on the south side of the SkiWelt ridge using a blue path to avoid the twin 4s and save a lift…

We’ll see..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Has anyone walked in winter on the Alpe di Siusi by Ortesei? Looks to be a lot of walks there, but don't know how safe they are.
Will have a look at Soll, St Moritz and Adelboden area. Thanks guys
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DixieDean wrote:
Has anyone walked in winter on the Alpe di Siusi by Ortesei? Looks to be a lot of walks there, but don't know how safe they are.
Will have a look at Soll, St Moritz and Adelboden area. Thanks guys

OH has walked in Selva - a lovely walk up one of the valleys to the north of Selva- but she should have had poles and things on her boots as a bit icy. Lots of very safe walks up and down main valley towards Ortiesi
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
buchanan101 wrote:
... she should have had poles and things on her boots as a bit icy.

Thanks, yes, she has poles and micro spikes for her winter walking boots.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Rogerdodger, Thanks for that tip, I'll have a look. Moneywise, a trip to Wengen this year is about £1400 each and £1600 if we went to Ortesei! So Switzerland is cheaper.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy