Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 confirmed non-operational lifts for this coming season

Poster: A snowHead
I haven't been able to go skiing for most of 4 years now for assorted personal/family/health reasons, so have been consciously not keeping track of what is happening in all the different resorts.
I am hoping to get a couple trips in Europe this coming season and was wondering if there are any major lifts or ski areas that are not expected to be running this coming season that would have been 5 years go?

Specifically looking at "bigger" resorts like the three valleys, le plagne, serre chevelier, etc but it may be useful to others if anyone has information about other resorts...

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 4-08-23 13:47; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@TJ1, I don’t think so … not sure why there would be?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
@TJ1, not sure why there would be?

"welding torch" + "Grand Montets cable car"? Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are thinking of global warming that might be a problem for low resorts in the future but nothing serious for now, as far as I know.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is the Saulire Cable Car in Courchevel open again - it was meant to be "Summer 2023".

@TJ1, unfortunately closures can sometimes happen at short notice - the Saulire being a case in point.

Grand Montets, Chamonix still closed until 2024.

Other than that I'm not aware of any closures for the main French resorts.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
3V all fine
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Serre might have a couple of issues in the Villeneuve sector if they have issues with the new Pontillas lift and there were rumours that once that's running they'll close Frejus. Might take a season to settle down, but will not be too dramatic hopefully?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some European resorts may shut 5-10% of their lifts in low or mid season, due to eco reasons or high energy prices.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowdave, in fairness, the GMs just makes the time cut Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In an effort to reduce energy use, a few lifts in the Grand Massif - especially in the Flaine area - were closed midweek and only ran at the weekends in the 22/23 season. Others (notably the DMC gondola in Flaine) was running slower than normal. You could alwyas get the same point served by the lifts, just perhaps via a longer more circuitous route. I'd expect that practice to continue in 23/24 and for other resorts to be doing likewise as Whitegold suggests
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep, a lot of lifts in the PdS were run at a slower speed last season too - reducing the speed of the chairs by 10% drops the power usage/costs by more than 10% and most people don't even notice.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Question without question marks

Whoever invented question marks must have been super bored. It’s totally unnecessary, waste of space…
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
@TJ1, I don’t think so … not sure why there would be?

Any number of possible reasons, just off the top of my head:
- newly discovered structural issues with lift towers, foundations cables, etc
- avalanche damage
- delays with parts preventing maintenance or replacement lift infrastructure
- Operating economics

Thanks for the information on the others, good to know that there isn't much that is expected to be out of action.
Grand Montets, Chamonix - still closed.
Saulire Cable Car, Courchevel - I have had a look but couldn't see anything definitive, is this confirmed anywhere as having sorted?
Pontillas, Serre Chevelier - is this new lift looking likely/possible for this season? I thought I saw a date of December 2024 being suggested previously?

Slower lifts in non peak times in the interests of energy efficiency seems perfectly reasonable/appropriate to me.

abc wrote:
@TJ1, Question without question marks

Whoever invented question marks must have been super bored. It’s totally unnecessary, waste of space…

If that (like the 'topic subject), is the title of a subject that you want to discuss, then perhaps a forum relating to grammar might be the best place for it? rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TJ1 wrote:
abc wrote:
@TJ1, Question without question marks

If that (like the 'topic subject), is the title of a subject that you want to discuss, then perhaps a forum relating to grammar might be the best place for it? rolling eyes

Usually I'd agree, but in this case the missing question mark is particularly misleading, because it reads like a headline asserting that there *are* major lift closures this coming season. I was therefore lured to this topic with a sinking heart and under false pretences, and probably wasn't the only one wink

It would be helpful to add the question mark - you can edit the thread title by editing your first post.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Grammar, like punctuation, is equally useless. Why can’t everyone figure out the meaning of the sentence without those wasteful filler words? rolling eyes

Black Americans have it right. “I be the one. Love she”. Immigrants from Non-English countries figure that one out too. Just lump the verbs and nouns together, everyone can guess and guess again until they figure out which permutation makes sense in the current context.

3 year olds all speak like that and their mothers understand. No problem. wink
snow conditions
Quote:

in this case the missing question mark is particularly misleading, because it reads like a headline asserting that there *are* major lift closures this coming season. I was therefore lured to this topic with a sinking heart and under false pretences, and probably wasn't the only one

Ditto.
latest report
@abc, Given your tenuous grasp of spelling and grammar, your view is hardly a surprise Very Happy

The rest of us find it quite beneficial.
snow conditions
abc wrote:
Grammar, like punctuation, is equally useless. Why can’t everyone figure out the meaning of the sentence without those wasteful filler words? rolling eyes

Because:
There's a difference between "helping your uncle, jack, off a horse" and "Helping your uncle jack off a horse".
There's a difference between "knowing your poo-poo" and "knowing you're poo-poo".

Even Bauhaus only thought capital letters were pointless (not like there's any difference when someone speaks the noun "Mark" vs the verb "to mark") and didn't have an issue with punctuation.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

in this case the missing question mark is particularly misleading, because it reads like a headline asserting that there *are* major lift closures this coming season. I was therefore lured to this topic with a sinking heart and under false pretences, and probably wasn't the only one

Ditto.

Same here! Laughing
snow report
MorningGory wrote:
@abc, Given your tenuous grasp of spelling and grammar, your view is hardly a surprise Very Happy

I thought the English get irony while American don’t

Or is it context some English don’t get?
latest report
abc wrote:
MorningGory wrote:

Why do Yanks assume everyone in the British Isles is English?
snow conditions
TJ1 wrote:

Thanks for the information on the others, good to know that there isn't much that is expected to be out of action.
Saulire Cable Car, Courchevel - I have had a look but couldn't see anything definitive, is this confirmed anywhere as having sorted?
Pontillas, Serre Chevelier - is this new lift looking likely/possible for this season? I thought I saw a date of December 2024 being suggested previously?

On the topic of closed lifts...

I have been informed by Courchevel Tourisme that the Saulire Cable Car from Courchevel will NOT be running this winter.

I think that's now 2 'major lifts' that are confirmed as going to be closed this season.
Saulire Cable Car, Courchevel - closed this coming winter.
snow conditions
Kenzie wrote:

most nations do
ski holidays
@TJ1, given the Grands has been closed for 5 years and not likely to be operational till 2025 at least, its not really a "closure" & is hardly news (or a surprise?)
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@TJ1, given the Grands has been closed for 5 years and not likely to be operational till 2025 at least, its not really a "closure" & is hardly news (or a surprise?)

Agreed, but still disappointing. Not everyone knows the up to date information on these things hence the initial question.
It is however still shown on plenty of piste maps and therefore I was considering it relevant to include in a list of not operational lifts.
snow report
Kenzie wrote:
abc wrote:
MorningGory wrote:

MG is in Clevedon so maybe it's a fair assumption and to be fair you have just assumed that ABC is a yank just because he is in new york...or is this a play on the irony thing..hold on...
latest report
abc wrote:
Quote:

Black Americans have it right. “I be the one. Love she”. Immigrants from Non-English countries figure that one out too. Just lump the verbs and nouns together, everyone can guess and guess again until they figure out which permutation makes sense in the current context.

3 year olds all speak like that and their mothers understand. No problem. wink

as an immigran from Non English country really dont geht it
I be the one. Love she = I be the one who Love she or I be the one who she love?

PS i have to admit that grammar was not my strongest think in the school...and that counts also for my mother language. Ironically i have to learn the German Language where the grammar is more difficult as in my mothe Language
snow conditions
On the positive side, the Gabelou chair in Châtel has now been fixed, having run at 1/4 capacity last season after the rain-induced failure before Christmas, and the Foillieuse replacement cable car here in Morgins is apparently all on track for December opening as well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Legend. wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
abc wrote:
MorningGory wrote:

MG is in Clevedon so maybe it's a fair assumption and to be fair you have just assumed that ABC is a yank just because he is in new york...or is this a play on the irony thing..hold on...

ABC is Chinese and lives in NY. English is not her mother tongue
latest report
TJ1 wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Agreed, but still disappointing. Not everyone knows the up to date information on these things hence the initial question.
It is however still shown on plenty of piste maps and therefore I was considering it relevant to include in a list of not operational lifts.

All fair points, I will accept.
snow report
@Kenzie, we don’t.
snow report
So all this to find 2 non-operational lifts for the season? Thats a whole two across all the “bigger” resorts noted above? I doubt that knowledge is going to change anybody’s decision on a destination.
snow conditions
If it helps anyone:
https://www.bbc.com/pidgin
snow report
TJ1 wrote:

On the topic of closed lifts...

I have been informed by Courchevel Tourisme that the Saulire Cable Car from Courchevel will NOT be running this winter.

As I understand it they're looking to put a 2 stage gondola in, similar to the Saulire Express up from Meribel. If I recall the idea is a complete refurb of La Croisette and all 3 lifts getting replaced (Chenus, Verdons, Jardin) with Verdon's becoming the two-stage up to Saulire. It makes it a bit awkward with the other lifts coming up from Village / Le Praz on the other side so maybe they're thinking about what to do with those (it'd be good if they were a tad more connected but I guess it's not a deal breaker really.

I think the Saulire Cable Car in its current form is a write-off, a full replacement is needed rather than just a repair.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy