Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where should we go?!?

Poster: A snowHead
Planning for next year, and looking for some good ideas of where to go snowHead
I'm a confident piste skier, preference is mile munching reds/blues, and going solo - might if the conditions look great get a private lesson/guide to take me on more of an adventure!
My partner has now been on 3 trips with me to Zell-am-See, Soll and Saalbach - they're pretty confident up to reds now, and liking exploring more, and like having a group ski school all day to look after them and teach them and be social with - so looking for somewhere with good ski school, ideally with plenty of other english speakers

We prefer to sort our own thing (although if TO has a great deal will take it!), so ideally somewhere with public transport to an airport. Want to stay half board, ideally with pool/spa - not fussed on a big apres scene. Budget is OK, but would prefer to save some pennies!

I lean towards Austrian resorts (think the whole set up there works better for us, and flights there are a bit easier), but not completely set on them

We'll be going either late jan/early feb or late feb/early march (basically hopefully avoiding the worst of the school holidays!)

Zell, Soll and Saalbach have been perfect for us, but now looking for new ideas of where to go next!

Places that I'm thinking of are Mayrhofen (or somewhere else in Zillertal?), Kitzbuhel (or Kirchberg?), maybe somewhere in Ski Amade?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 1-08-23 21:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the whole of the zillertal is in play if you decide on the hoff, its really easy to get to Kaltenbach und zell am ziller. loads of skiing in all of that
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@redwakatuna, if you're after tonnes of miles, the dolomites area would work too, especially around the Sella ronda area.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Milky Way or SkiWelt?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 2-08-23 12:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is recommended to avoid February since these are the busiest weeks. During this month, Austrian, German and Dutch schools all have their semester holidays. Usually the first and third weeks are the busiest.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
redwakatuna wrote:

Zell, Soll and Saalbach have been perfect for us, but now looking for new ideas of where to go next!

Places that I'm thinking of are Mayrhofen (or somewhere else in Zillertal?), Kitzbuhel (or Kirchberg?), maybe somewhere in Ski Amade?

Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Your suggestions in Austria are all good. As @Mother hucker said the Zillertal also offers good skiing at Zell am Ziller and Kaltenbach/Hochfugen which are easy to get to from Mayrhofen on the Zillertalbahn or ski bus which are free with your skipass. Kirchberg is slightly cheaper than Kitzbuhel but offers easy access on the Fleckalmbahn gondola to the Kitzbuhel slopes. You mentioned pool/spas, Kitzbuhel has the Aquarenawhich is well worth a visit. Ski Amade also a good call e.g Wagrain, Flachau, Schladming etc.

Also as swskier suggested have a look at the SellaRonda in the Italian Dolomites. Outstanding scenery, immacutely prepared pistes and mountain restaurants with great food and very reasonable prices. Many sHs go on the annual Birthday Bash to Arabba staying at the Hotel Portavescovo or the associated and somewhat cheaper Garni Bellavista (where you take breakfast there but take dinner at the Hotel Portavescovo and have full use of the facilities there including the pool). If you stay in accommodation in Arabba then the Arabba tourist board do a subsidised coach transfer service from the two Venice airports (Marco Polo and Treviso).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What about the Arlberg? St Anton easy to get to on public transport.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1. Lech
2. Davos
3. Sauze d'Oulx
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Speaking of Austria:
1. in Zillertal, Fugen has a great spa
2. Stubai is easiest public transport from Innsbruck
3. Solden, huge Spa in Längenfeld, must visit
4. Kaprun has also great spa, but the pool on the roof in not included Smile
5. Ischgl and new spa
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

late feb/early march (basically hopefully avoiding the worst of the school holidays!)

Definitely not France for late Feb/early March = big school holiday weeks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

late feb/early march (basically hopefully avoiding the worst of the school holidays!)

Definitely not France for late Feb/early March = big school holiday weeks.

Early March OK (2/3-9/3 2024 only one French zone on holiday)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hmm. I'd go the following week - accommodation prices will be far lower. Snow levels not much. I just don't see any point going to France in school holidays if you don't have to.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Even when there's only one zone on holiday, when it's zone C, avoid!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Hmm. I'd go the following week - accommodation prices will be far lower. Snow levels not much. I just don't see any point going to France in school holidays if you don't have to.

You are quite right, 9-16 will be quieter (but full of “lads’ trips”). Not everyone can pick the best week and 2-9 will not be so bad. I’ve done the equivalent week in the PDS a few times.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Even when there's only one zone on holiday, when it's zone C, avoid!

True, but it’s B next year and i’ll probably be there.
snow conditions
@DJL, yes, sorry - I misread the list. Zone B till 10 March. The week following 10 March would be my choice if I could only spend one week in the Alps next season! Really good combo of longer days, more sunshine, and good snow depth.
latest report
Thanks for all the comments - sounds like we are on the right lines, probably Austria, although Italy sounds interesting (transport not so ideal for us by the looks of things unfortunatley), couple of extra places to add to the maybe list Smile
snow report
@redwakatuna, if you're planning on flying to Innsbruck for somewhere like the Zillertal, then it's not too bad a journey to somewhere like Val Gardena in the Dolomites.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy