Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What shall I buy?

Poster: A snowHead
As part of my retirement present I was given a £300 Snow and Rock gift card. However, I can't think of anything to buy. I only ski one or two weeks a season so I don't need a new jacket or ski trousers or base layers and cba buying skis. Boots were bought just before covid so have only had a few weeks. Goggles were new for last season and helmet still in good nick. Socks and gloves a possibility but not £300 quids worth. I'm a bit stumped.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@halfhand, Maybe a wheelie bag e.g https://www.snowandrock.com/p/snow-and-rock-100l-vacation-wheelie-I4134238.html?colour=3633
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@halfhand, I'd buy some Icebreaker base layers. They last for ages and are really good quality. Get some lightweight t-shirts you can wear in summer too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The clue is in the word "retirement". Up the number of ski weeks, drive out for a couple of weeks at a time and buy some skis. Admittedly this enables you to spend £300 but costs £1000s but hey how.

Failing that good goretex shell will serve you year round in NW rain.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@halfhand, good quality heated gloves / socks would come in around that price
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Doesn't matter what you go for, get the red one.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do you have the option of spending it at Cotswold Outdoor? If so, that may give you more options, depending on how you intend to spend your retirement.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@halfhand, Give it to the Australian Batsmen, so they can be stumped. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dakine Heli backpack & a Dakine Split Roller luggage
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What kind of boots have you got? Do they need sole protectors like cat tracks?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@halfhand, May I suggest a climbing harness, a via ferrata set, some waterproofs, rucksack, helmet and lightweight boots. Then spend the summers doing via ferrata in the Dolomites as well as skiing in the winter. You'll need guide books, maps and compass as well but you are retiring so can expand your horizons.

Enjoy retirement.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@halfhand, I got a similar amount for my retirement gift from work and bought an avalanche transceiver, shovel and probe, think big for later life Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

The clue is in the word "retirement". Up the number of ski weeks, drive out for a couple of weeks

This!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What about a backup Ski Helmet? Luggage and spare goggles also a possibility.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have to say, @Old Fartbag, that a "back up ski helmet" is one of the daftest ideas! Laughing For a more productive idea, how about putting the gift cad up for sale on Snowheads. Let people bid for it! I'll start with a bid for £100.
snow report
Get a snowboard
snow conditions
Quote:
good goretex shell will serve you year round in NW rain.

Second that.

A ski jacket that is good enough to be used day in and day out even when not skiing.

(My first ski jacket, I loaned it to my Mom when she forgot to bring her jacket to a walk in the park on a chilly drizzly day. After, she asked sheepishly if she can keep it because it’s so light yet so warm. Sure Mom, I’ll buy a new one for myself Toofy Grin )
snow report
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm unlikely to be able to increase my skiing time (SWMBO would freak out) although I wonder whether admin might let me use it as part payment for a bash wink . Narrowing choices down to gloves, luggage, icebreaker base layers.

Cheers all. Very Happy
latest report
pam w wrote:
I have to say, @Old Fartbag, that a "back up ski helmet" is one of the daftest ideas! Laughing For a more productive idea, how about putting the gift cad up for sale on Snowheads. Let people bid for it! I'll start with a bid for £100.

It is....but my thinking was this - If you have a gift voucher and can't think of what to spend it on....get a state of the art MIPs helmet, which replaces the current one (assuming it's superior). The one not being used can be put away, in case the helmet you are using needs replaced for any reason.
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag, Actually, that's not a bad idea, thanks.

To answer some of the other suggestions:

@hang11, A Snowboard? The Devil's choice and I'm an angel.

@Seahoob, Don't think I'm up for gnarly off-piste any more but thanks.

@rjs, Have cat tracks thanks.

@abc, Got lots of non-ski jackets suitable for the horrors of a NW UK winter - but good suggestion thanks.
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Actually, that's not a bad idea, thanks.

Can I have a note to give Pam w, to show that I'm not quite as daft as I may initially seem? Skullie
snow conditions
Fancy ski luggage? S&R do a Sportstube double for £200.
snow conditions
@halfhand, Cat Tracks break. If you are going to be skiing more then maybe get a couple of spare sets.
snow conditions
If you really don't want/need anything do you have any friends/family who do? If it's something they were going to buy anyway you could buy it with your voucher/they could give you the cash equivalent. They have the kit they wanted for the price they'd have paid anyway while you then have £300 cash to spend where/how ever you like.
snow conditions
Just buy a poor random snowboarder a new snowboard. Enjoy the warm fuzzies.
latest report
@hang11, Laughing
latest report
Sell giftcard on eBay.

Use cash to buy flight to a ski resort.

Do a season.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy