Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tokyo airports

Poster: A snowHead
doing some initial research on Tokyo flights for a trip in January. Plan is to fly in to Tokyo for few days before flying up to Hokaido. My options are a morning BA flight from Heathrow to Haneda or a KLM flight to Narita from Cardiff ( we live in Cardiff) . Dilemma is -KLM flights much cheaper but Narita not as convenient for Tokyo. I suppose my main question is how much more of a pain is it to get into central Tokyo from Narita. Thanks in advance !
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easy to get to Tokyo from Narita.

Sky liner train goes from the airport direct to Ueno. All signposted in English. Takes about 30 minutes. The sky liner station at Ueno is about 200m from the main Ueno station, so no problem to jump on the subway or Shinkansen from there. Ueno is a nice place to stay in Tokyo anyway.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's not that much of a pain!
May be a little more expensive the otherside for transfers though.

Guessing KLM is via schiphol? So you may want to check the connection timings.

If you live in Cardiff & can fly from Cardiff, then it's a no brainer. If you flew back into London, would you really want to drive another 2 1/2 hours? Getting out of Heathrow would be around 8pm - If your body clock is still in Japan, then that is 5am!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Myfanwy, I’ve been to Tokyo loads and use Narita and Haneda.

There are some price reducing options on BA.

Would you mind posting dates and prices and I can see if some of my wee tricks work.

Regarding the airports, they are both similar times. As @hang11, mentioned Fast train to Ueno and go to location from there.

Or use the Narita Express into Shibuya.

I always stayed in Akasaka which is not in the centre but good bars and the hotel was 4 mins walk from the metro.

It depends really how Much gear you have to humph around.

A slightly off piste thing is to look at accommodation that has a coin laundry so you can stick a washing on one evening to reduce the amount of clothes that you have to carry.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agreed

Cardiff every time if you can
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone.
@GlasgowCyclops, intrigued by price reducing options with BA. Our dates are 25th Jan,return on 20th Feb (provisional and flexible)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Myfanwy wrote:
Thanks everyone.
@GlasgowCyclops, intrigued by price reducing options with BA. Our dates are 25th Jan,return on 20th Feb (provisional and flexible)

Well, your dates overlap my trip. I have avios booked flights using a 2-4-1 voucher. £1500 & 150,000 avios for business class.
I guess from Cardiff with BA flights you may need a hotel the night before & night after. Throw in airport parking or trains, compared to travel from local airport, your savings are probably wiped out.
So KLM prob. makes more sense
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Myfanwy, AS the other have said it is no problem getting into central Tokyo from Narita but check the flight back. Flying into Haneda and out from Narita would be a pain, but I suspect you'll be on the Air France flight back from Haneda anyway. Also check you can check your luggage in at Chitose all the way back to the UK.

Whatever you do pack all your ski stuff in one bag and carry your Tokio tourist stuff in a carry on bag. Then send all your heavy luggage onto Hokaido by Takuhaibin. We used Yamoto. The price is very good and it's great not having to lug skis and skiing equipment around Tokyo.

Quote:

I guess from Cardiff with BA flights you may need a hotel the night before & night after. Throw in airport parking or trains, compared to travel from local airport, your savings are probably wiped out.

Plus ULEZ charges as well
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@johnE, ULEZ certainly now an added consideration.
thanks for the Takuhaibin tip!
our flights will be UK-Tokyo , Tokyo Chitose, Chitose - Osaka then Tokyo back to UK ,which I presume would all work out of Narita.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Our flights to chitose were to and from haneda. I suppose it depends on the airline, but there were airbus 350s doing the route every hour or so. Given the volume of traffic I suppose a lot will also go from narita. We interrupted our trip by going to Kyoto for a few days by Shinkansen. Very memorable
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haneda = train / monorail
Narita = train / monorail / limo bus
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When you check flights for Osaka, check the airport, as sometimes they bundle in Kobe as an airport option for Osaka.

Lots of flights for Tokyo to Chitose & I guess it does not mater which airport you fly out for that (Peach, Jal, Ana, Jetstar, etc) . Just make sure it aligns with your transfer option (assuming bus).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Definitely worth sending gear via black cat from the airport to accommodation if you have a couple of spare days at each end, just be careful of snow disruption delaying it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Myfanwy, if on the way back from Narita if you do t want to get up early then I stayed at a hotel near there. I used the Niko Narita. A crap hotel but has a fantastic restaurant on the top floor. The room was about £50 but the meal wa about £60 but was one of the best I’ve ever had in Japan.

I may be late with reply’s because I’m on jury duty this week.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Myfanwy, are you open to a couple of days in Seoul (worth it and I know it is Korea) or Osaka?
latest report
I see @Gored, beat me to the Osaka trick. Sometimes a lot cheaper to KIX.
latest report
I always flew back from NRT because the 11 am and 11.40 flight get me to Glasgow at a reasonable hour and meant the jet lag was negated.
snow report
thanks for all the helpful info.
snow conditions
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@Myfanwy, are you open to a couple of days in Seoul (worth it and I know it is Korea) or Osaka?

Yes, visiting Seoul for a few days is definitely an option worth considering! South Korea has excellent ski resorts, and Seoul is a convenient gateway to some of the country's best skiing destinations https://www.torntackies.com/ski-resorts-korea-near-seoul/

You may also get more ideas about Seoul and other things you can do at https://gowithguide.com/blog/seoul-tourism-statistics-2023-the-ultimate-guide-5535

Osaka, on the other hand, has some ski resorts that you can reach within a few hours by train or bus. The Kansai region, where Osaka is located, has options for skiing during the winter months. However, it is not traditionally known as a prime destination for skiing due to its location and climate

Either way, hope you have a great time! Little Angel
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy