Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European Resort Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

I'm planning an extended (4-6 weeks) trip for myself, my wife and my dog.

Requirements -
-Close (ish) to Geneva as we'll be driving from the UK
-Around 1000m accommodation altitude (Dog struggled in Val d'isere)
-Mid-Large piste area on our doorstep and not relying on buses
-Alternative piste area that's a short drive/ bus ride away
-Other activities to do outside of skiing
-British/British-friendly crowd

Initially, I looked at Bourg St Maurice as there is the funicular that takes 7 mins to get to Les Arcs and La Plagne is drivable. However, for the same price, we can stay at a resort and not have to rely on the funicular daily.

Secondly, I looked at Chamonix which seemed to tick all the boxes with the exception of maybe having to rely on buses daily if you were to stay centrally. Alternatively, staying in Le Rosiere, Les Praz or Les Houches you'd have good skiing on your doorstep but have to travel to the centre for more activities/ nightlife etc.

Has anyone got any advice/ pointers for me? Much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@joskii, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

You might care to look at La Clusaz. The town itself is at an altitude of about 1000 metres but has skiing up to 2600 metres.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@joskii, sounds like you've just described Morzine pretty much, or St Jean d'Aulps
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not far from La Clusaz you have Praz sur Arly and the Espace Diamant. Within easy reach of much-more-expensive Megeve and its large linked area. And, indeed, La Clusaz.

They're both pretty French though, being mercifully free of big crowds of British package tour visitors. wink

If you want lots of Brits, maybe Morzine? Very easy from Geneva, though if you're driving for 6 weeks (what a great idea!) an extra hour or so surely doesn't matter?

Serre Chevalier is another idea, though I don't personally know it, it always sounds nice.

I'm never sure what people mean by "non ski activities". When we were in our apartment, for months at a time, during the winter season when we weren't skiing we were generally shopping, cooking, eating, reading, watching TV and going for walks. All of which you can do anywhere.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all, much appreciated! I think we'll go with Morzine
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
All good suggestions but I'm curious why you need your be close to Geneva if you're driving ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
May need to fly back for the odd day
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@joskii, I think you can be more specific in your wish-list, given you have quite a few places to choose from.

For example:
-How close to Geneva? Would you use your own car (very flexible) or want a good choice of transfers available?
-What counts as a mid-large ski area to you? You mentioned Les Houches which has about 80km if I remember right, and Le Praz which has the whole 3V (400km+). Are you talking about blue/red cruising, or concentrating on tough blacks and off-piste?
-What do you count as a "short" ride to another area, and would you prefer public transport connections to driving?
-Are there any particular non-skiing activities you are looking for?
-How British? Morzine always seems to me about 80% British, but many other places have a reasonable community.

Of the places mentioned already, Bourg St Maurice would be favoured over any of the Les Arcs resorts on the basis of altitude not price, though you might find long lets more readily available there at competitive prices; as well as direct access to Les Arcs/La Plagne (400km+) it is not that far from La Rosiere (250+) and feasible to Ste Foy and Tignes/Val d'Isere. Le Praz has gondola access into the Courcheval end of 3V, and you would have to time visits to the other valleys so that you could still return; it also isn't far from the Champagny access point to La Plagne. Chamonix is a very international town, though as you know it consists of a number of disconnected ski areas whose value it greatest for those looking for tough/off-piste skiing ("gnarly" seems to be an adjective often used on Snowheads). Morzine as stated above is very British, and has direct access to two ski areas which are otherwise not connected; the total skiable area is huge though it is a bit strung out for easy access to everything. Praz sur Arly is a very interesting suggestion, not on the mainstream UK travel operator list but gives access to the Espace Diamant area (200km), has close access to Megeve and Combloux (300km+ combined) and as @pam w says feasible driving distance from La Clusaz. However if you wanted the Megeve-accessed area you would be better in St Gervais the other side of the hill, less expensive and you still have the 250km common area with access via navette across Megeve to Combloux (nearly 100km), plus easy bus or car access to Les Contamines on the same ski pass (about 130km) and also direct "back-door" access to Les Houches (different pass, though you can buy a combined one) as well as a feasible driving distance to several of the other Chamonix valley ski areas. Serre Chevalier was mentioned, but that isn't somewhere with close access to/from Geneva.

(Piste distances are approximate from memory, you can check them all out on resort websites).

Good luck, it sounds an exciting trip to plan. And for every candidate place you will find quite a few people here with close knowledge to advise you.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just to check - as you say you are driving from the UK, why do you need to be close to Geneva? "Close to Geneva" is a top priority for people who are flying and facing expensive transfers. But for the that length of time the Alps is your oyster. Lots of great Italian options, for example. Or Serre Chevalier.

Another consideration - WHICH 4 - 6 weeks? If you're going to France, do try to avoid the 4 week French winter holidays.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Verbier? The village is at 1500 metres, but otherwise fulfils your criteria. Or you could stay in Le Chable, below Verbier.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does München airport offer enough flexibility in terms of getting back? The Tirol snowcard offers lots of skiing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, asked and answered above.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megeve, is quite low & close to GVA, is Arc 1600 too high? You could look at it from the opposite direction, stay in Arc 1600 & see the funicular as a means of easy access to other areas via BSM buses
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
adithorp wrote:
@pam w, asked and answered above.

OP said needed to be near Geneva airport for quick access back during stay. München offers lots of flights daily back to the UK, throw in Innsbruck, Memmingam airports also. All suggestions so far had been France.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We stopped in Bourg last season for 2 weeks and found it OK but a bit of a faf ...the Funicular takesyou up tp Les Arc 1600 but its quite a didtance from there to get anywhere..anyway it broke down for 4 days and we had to look for other ways up ...We found that getting on at Piesey Villandry the best option ..so much so that we are stopping at Landry down at the bottom ..a short drive up to either Piesey for Les Arcs or Montchavin for La Plagne ..
snow report
May I throw La Tania into the mix? It's next door to Le Praz but more central to the 3V and I'd say has a slightly more British vibe. Also good value for money.
Its 1400m though so not sure about pooch. If 1000m actually is your limit then Bourg has to be in the running. Can't comment on Morzine as I've never been but that sounds like it ticks all boxes
ski holidays
Ryunis wrote:
If 1000m actually is your limit then Bourg has to be in the running. Can't comment on Morzine as I've never been but that sounds like it ticks all boxes

yes, he said that 1000m approx is a deal breaker, start there and work backwards. I would look to Austria as it is colder so more choice at 1000m or Norway!

For the French Northern Alps this is a rough starting point

Chamonix, Orelle, Meribel, Brides les Bains, Oz en Oisans, Les Sybelles, Morzine, Samoens, Moriilon, Megeve, Montriond, Areches Beaufort, Chatel, le Grand Bornand, Correncon, Les Houches, Thollon, Aillons Margeriaz, Le chapel d'Abondance, St Jean d’Aulps, St Pierre de Chatreuse, Les Brasses, Autrans

∩ convenient for Geneva

Chamonix, Brides les Bains, Samoens, Moriilon, Megeve, Montriond, Areches Beaufort, Chatel, le Grand Bornand, Les Houches, Thollon, , Le chapel d'Abondance, St Jean d’Aulps, Les Brasses

∩ Mid-Large piste area on our doorstep and not relying on buses

Megevel, le Grand Bornand, Les Houches, St Jean d’Aulps

// I don't know every resort on my initial list so feel free to add or remove

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 30-07-23 11:56; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
Ah yes, sorry, I missed the "might need to fly back for the odd day".

There are SO many places that I think we might need some more criteria - as @j b suggested.

His St Gervais is a great suggestion, if "ski in/ski out" is not an issue.
snow report
Samoens?

700m altitude, 1 hour from Geneva. Some nice non-skiing stuff to see/do. Decent skiing in the Grand Massif.
snow conditions
Not sure if you are after European or French suggestions? If a wider spread than the French resorts near Geneva (nothing wrong with them) then you might want to consider places within easy reach of Zürich, it is a more pleasant airport than Geneva and probably has more scheduled connections to the UK (though less Easyjet etc). It is also very easy to access via the train even from Western Austria. Lots of places in Switzerland too though I would guess budget starts being an issue. In Austria there is the obvious option of the Arlberg, though cost might be an issue. For a less "high end" choice maybe the Montafon area, which is a number of villages linked together not far from Bludenz (direct trains to Zürich), sort of similar to PdS though not as big. Snow record for western Austria is as good as anywhere in recent years (Arlberg is generally the snowiest spot in the alps). Drive from Calais pretty easy too.

From your description it sounds as if the Dolomites would suit but longer drive from UK and not so easy to access an airport for a quick trip back to UK
latest report
I’m thinking of doing something similar to the OP this winter and spend 4-6 weeks skiing. Does anyone have suggestions for companies or websites that offer long stay accommodation?
I would probably stay in the Portes du Soleil but am open to others.
latest report
@bompey, Have a look at :: https://www.livetheseason.com/
snow report
Thanks, will take a look
snow conditions
1. La Clusaz
2. Les Carroz
3. Megeve
ski holidays
It definitely sounds as though you have described Morzine. It might also be worth considering Samoens or Les Carroz.
snow report
@joskii, if it’s of any help-we have a dog (a 2yo lively and fit Jack Russell) and he copes fine with coming and going to our place at 1450m. Mind you, he’d chase marmots at any elevation! Laughing
snow conditions
Another vote for Verbier or Le Chable, down in the valley. Both have good public transport links if you want to go on a non-ski excursion without the car. Le Chable has cheaper accommodation and is less of a ‘resort’ with its own railway station and 7am-11pm gondola link up to Verbier’s centre at Médran.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy