Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alternatives to Val Cenis

Poster: A snowHead
For the last few years we've been to Val Cenis for our family ski trips. It ticks a lot of boxes for our family - hotels on the slopes, good snow record, good setup for kids, great value ect. I'd be happy to go again, but last time we all agreed that we'd like to try something different.

In the past I've been to a different resort each year, but struggling to think of a place that offers the same sort of setup for a reasonable price.

Does anyone have any bright ideas? Bonus points are on offer for somewhere in Austria.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can’t help with Austria but similar area in France you could try Valmeinier, Valloire or Les Sybelles - all good family ski areas with good accommodation at reasonable prices.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is a lot of options in Austria, but it will be more expensive, ski passes start from 50eur per day for majority of resorts, reaching to 72EUR for large popular places like Ischgl. however the ski lift infrastructure and accommodation is completely different level (compared to 6pers in 20sqm).
Also in many cases its rare to find on piste accommodation in Austria, and often driving to the base station is required.
Could also consider Italy, like Pila, living in Aosta, then visiting nearby resorts.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
look on sunweb, all accomodation comes with lift passes

went to Plagne Soliel in Feb and stayed in fab new appts (white pearl) with pool and spa, right on piste
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The other Maurienne resorts are the obvious candidates - @andmelffion's suggestions, plus St Francçois Longchamp / Valmorel. Val Cenis lift passes are among the cheapest you can get for a decent size ski area though, so it would be difficult to match.

Other French options could be Chamrousse, maybe Les Sept Laux, or Villard de Lans Corrençon (less reliable snow at this last one). Portes du Soleil also usually does 50% off lift passes for January if you book on Black Friday, and accommodation is fairly reasonable, especially around Chatel.

All the above have skis that a similar size or bigger than Val Cenis. If smaller is OK then there are even more options.

Further south there are several resorts which tick all your boxes except maybe the snow reliability one - Superdevoluy, Espace Lumiere, Les Orres...

As @ed48 says, Austrian lift pass prices are unlikely to be competitive - ditto for accommodation. (Often better quality, but higher price.)

I think you'd struggle in Italy too - Via Lattea might be the closest match. Never mind Switzerland!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dependent a little on when and how you get there @DaveyBoy76, Praz de Lys could be a good alternative.

We've been as a family to Val Cenis, appreciated and know it the same as you for those attributes. Some very good weeks there skiing for us too.

Praz de Lys is smaller, but with very good access fully into village for snow, excellent eating choices, easy access (we usually drive, and so based on this) and fairly close to travel overall. Lift pass prices gery good, some drag lift that collect skiers from peripheral accommodation, but generally chairlift otherwise, good mix of slopes (generally a blue access across mountain) considering it's not a vast area, although plenty of between piste availability to use too and depending on family skills etc.

Ideally, only if area was considered limited (I don't feel it is for a family week) there's easy access to PdS via Les Gets and GM via Morillon for a different day out, both in about 30mins drive and with easy parking. Like VC vehicle access and parking is not onerous in it's control here.

Very friendly, good access and good on mountain costs. Worthwhile alternative in my view and skied there as family too with kids from young age.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As many people have already discovered, France doesn't have to be 6 people in 20 sq metres. rolling eyes Masses of options available, often very good value with outfits like Sunweb and often close to the skiing.

You could look at the Espace Diamant, @DaveyBoy76. Would you be going in peak school hols?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scrub Chamrousse and Pras de Lys off your list.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think nothing beats chalets located on the slope in France, especially in the beginning of the season, but you have to have 10-12 group. Before covid we did 6 rooms chalet for 1200 eur and 50% off skipasses in Alp d'Huez, been lucky with lots snow in November Cool
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
Scrub Chamrousse and Pras de Lys off your list.

What an extraordinarily useful and informative post rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It might well be useful, as @davidof knows those resorts well. wink Not that informative, though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
It might well be useful, as @davidof knows those resorts well. wink Not that informative, though.

Of course there's opinion welcome, but doesn't really serve the OP well. I've contributed to a thread in which he visited Va Cenis, also reading his feedback, skied Pra e Lys with family, extended family and friends that live locally (Giffre valley) Samoèns, and hopefully give reasonably more fabric to the view of that ski area. That post seems to offer a facile view at first appearance, wondering if it added any particular value to OP.

Perhaps an elaboration from him would be appropriate Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’m not a huge fan of Val Cenis as I don’t like resorts where all slopes have the same aspect although at least in the case of Val Cenis the slopes are all north facing so it holds its snow late season.

Anyway I’d recommend Montgenevre which is slightly more expensive but an excellent resort all round. I also like Les Saisies and the rest of l’espace diamant. Les Contamines would also be worth considering ( the evasion Mont Blanc log pass is expensive but there might be a cheaper one for Les Contamines only)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="ski3"]
pam w wrote:

Perhaps an elaboration from him would be appropriate Very Happy

Just saving useless hot air and hamster legs.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@davidof, no, 'twasn't me, it was @ski3.
latest report
Thank for the replies everyone, It's given me something to think about and at least it seems I was right about Austria.
ski holidays
Le Corbier.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Le Corbier.

Verbier.

St Anton.

Zermatt.

... you're back!
snow report
Laughing
snow conditions
DaveyBoy76 wrote:
at least it seems I was right about Austria.

with regards to?
do you usually stay in an appartment, hotel, b&b chalet?
drive or fly? lunch in a restaurant or pack lunch?

is Auatria really more expensive than France like for like?
snow report
@Whitegold, where have you been?
latest report
Mother hucker wrote:
DaveyBoy76 wrote:
at least it seems I was right about Austria.

with regards to?
do you usually stay in an appartment, hotel, b&b chalet?
drive or fly? lunch in a restaurant or pack lunch?

is Auatria really more expensive than France like for like?

No. Austria uses much more cheap imported labor for their service sector, so hotels tend to be cheaper. Quite a lot actually. As the resorts mostly (if any?) aren't purpose-built from the get-go, on-slope accomodation is rare and therefore always expensive.
latest report
@Tristero, Thats exactly what ive found and the level of service to be higher in Austria. To say the labour cost are less, is that correct? the staff should all be paid the minimum wage at least legally in the country
snow report
@DaveyBoy76, what accomodation do you usually stay in? self catering, hotel, chalet???
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
@DaveyBoy76, what accomodation do you usually stay in? self catering, hotel, chalet???

Says hotel on the slopes in the original message
snow report
If to stay in Val Cenis somewhere like "CGH Résidences & Spas - les Chalets de Flambeau"
Then for same money possible to find in Austria close to gondola with "5 min" walk.
Mayrhofen, Solden, Ischgl, St Anton, etc
latest report
I guess hotels are an expensive option anywhere, but there seems far more choice of hotels in Austrian resorts than in French ones (generalisation, but I think it's true). France has apartments to rent at every price point, and in just about every location - the smallest will be very small and basic but also very cheap! The Sunweb style "accommodation and lift pass" deals are probably hard to beat. Food and drink on the mountain seems cheaper in the average Austrian resort than the average French resort but because so many skiers in France are self-catering and can eat (and drink!) very well without having to pay restaurant prices - especially with kids when you can save a lot if you take them back to the apartment for a simple lunch at supermarket prices.

I don't think there's any evidence that either France, or Austria, is "more expensive" than the other. It all depends. A holiday in a swish rented chalet in Megeve and food in that resort's Michelin starred eateries will probably cost more than most holidays in Austria. But intelligent and well planned self catering with a piste-side apartment for four from Sunweb will probably be cheaper than most Austrian alternatives.
snow report
pam w wrote:
I guess hotels are an expensive option anywhere, but there seems far more choice of hotels in Austrian resorts than in French ones (generalisation, but I think it's true). France has apartments to rent at every price point, and in just about every location - the smallest will be very small and basic but also very cheap! The Sunweb style "accommodation and lift pass" deals are probably hard to beat. Food and drink on the mountain seems cheaper in the average Austrian resort than the average French resort but because so many skiers in France are self-catering and can eat (and drink!) very well without having to pay restaurant prices - especially with kids when you can save a lot if you take them back to the apartment for a simple lunch at supermarket prices.

I don't think there's any evidence that either France, or Austria, is "more expensive" than the other. It all depends. A holiday in a swish rented chalet in Megeve and food in that resort's Michelin starred eateries will probably cost more than most holidays in Austria. But intelligent and well planned self catering with a piste-side apartment for four from Sunweb will probably be cheaper than most Austrian alternatives.

That's a bit short sighted. The question always has to be, why is that?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mother hucker wrote:
@Tristero, Thats exactly what ive found and the level of service to be higher in Austria. To say the labour cost are less, is that correct? the staff should all be paid the minimum wage at least legally in the country

Of course they will! Austria is very much a law abiding country. At least other than paying taxes... To make things a little easier, there is no mandatory minimum wage in Austria... Stuff accomodation is another useful handle to play with.
Have you ever asked yourself how the 20 year old sons of mountain resto owners finance their Cayennes and GT3s?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 2-08-23 13:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Back on topic, scenery-wise Val Cenis is the best of all the larger Maurienne resorts. If you account for skiing, my order would be: Grand Domaine > Sybelles > Galibier-Thabor.
snow report
I’m thinking, my travel expenses are often 50% or more of total skiing costs. I could save 100-200 eur on ski passes skiing in Val Cenis, but paying little bit more I would get much better skiing experience in Austria.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy