Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Knee protection for dryslopes

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone wear knee pads when on the dry slope.
Was at a dryslope last week when I ejected out of my left ski while mid way through a right turn while doing a run of dynamic turns on 1 mat width. Looks like I overpowered the ski due to hired only being able to out at 4.5din (am 6ft2 and 110kg)

Needless to say have cut my knee to buts and a load of bruising to the inside of my knee but I am not dead yet so planning to go back when I can walk up or down a set of stairs with no pain (next week hopefully) and use my own skis as I can set the din higher.

Does anyone have a recommendation for knee pads or elbow pads for when I do push it a bit hard and fall again. Will standing skating pads do the job or mountain bike ones?

Also when do you know when to up the DIN. Normally use a 7.5 on my skis but am now carving and putting alot more pressure through the skis in a turn and don't want to be ejected every week.
Only had 3 falls in last 2 years on dry slope1 while race training in march 1 last Friday and 1 when I was on my first lesson.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have used volleyball knee pads by Ruccanor. Some have said they come pretty tight compared to their sizing guide. I found this also to be the case.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We have skate boarding knee pads that we give out to the snowboarders.
Surely they must have had rental skis with bindings that set to more than 4.5? That's dangerous.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks.
No 4.5 is the highest they can set them at the dryslope.

I just didn't want to ruin my personal skis but now they are dryslope skis and I will have to buy a new set.

What a shame
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Surely not.

If, for example, the standard DIN setting tables say that for your size, boot length etc. the DIN setting should be 6 and they set it to 4.5 and you come out of the skis whilst turning (even on a gentle, slow dry slope this is possible) and you break an arm then you would have a undefensible negligence case against the dry slope. I cannot imagine a responsible dry slope operator doing this.

A few years ago I watched a young lady coming out of the start gate at a dry slope race and come straight out of her skis and tumble down the slope. Her dad had set the DIN settings too low. She did not sue him.

ps I have my dryslope skis set at 6 whilest my snow skis are set at 5
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ghostlybadge, What are you doing on the dryslope? If you are Race Training you will need your own skis, helmet etc soon anyway. Even if you aren't, then you will want skis with sharp edges --- which rental skis very rarely have. Look on EBAY for a cheap old pair of slalom or piste skis, keep the edges sharp and the bases waxed and they'll last a good while.

I wear MTB padded undershorts to protect my hips, and (when racing) a slalom jacket.

As far as the DIN goes, without your weight/height/age/shoe size and experience hard to comment. I'm a 60kg old git -- my race skis are on 8 (so I don't come out at the start), my "teaching" skis are on 5. I never come out of either -- and my Telemark skis don't have a release setting at all. Whilst 4.5 is quite low, not sure if that's equipment ior user error.....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll keep out of the din specific numbers, apart from adding that it was not the OP knee joint that broke from not releasing, that's a positive in my view.

Suggestions for protection though, if you don't find accessory pads etc useful. These https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/products/oneal-matrix-racewear-black-grey-pants?variation=380363&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7fHwpoivgAMVZodoCR2z9QA9EAQYAyABEgJOL_D_BwE Moto-X pants/trousers have excellent quality for abrasion, impact around knee, short above boot design etc to make them attractive wear with boots, that's the product generally and not specific to that one in link.

There's significant front of knee protection usually, not only for crash impact but for flying rocks etc in racing. Also they ordinarily have side protection in a guitar plectrum shape covering hip to waist and down femur area to offer decent impact protection there too. Usually they're cool rather than insulated, having venting etc, also very robust materials that are fine in any weather, dry to soaking conditions.

Perhaps worthy of consideration.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski wrote:
@Ghostlybadge, What are you doing on the dryslope? If you are Race Training you will need your own skis, helmet etc soon anyway. Even if you aren't, then you will want skis with sharp edges --- which rental skis very rarely have. Look on EBAY for a cheap old pair of slalom or piste skis, keep the edges sharp and the bases waxed and they'll last a good while.

I wear MTB padded undershorts to protect my hips, and (when racing) a slalom jacket.

As far as the DIN goes, without your weight/height/age/shoe size and experience hard to comment. I'm a 60kg old git -- my race skis are on 8 (so I don't come out at the start), my "teaching" skis are on 5. I never come out of either -- and my Telemark skis don't have a release setting at all. Whilst 4.5 is quite low, not sure if that's equipment ior user error.....

Was a private lesson. With ski race training use my own skis I had left my skis in work where I store them so didn't have them the lesson.
It's just a pain with my small car lugging the skis around instead of just picking up a hire set when in open practice or coaching. Given up on race training this year as I was 20 years older than everyone else and the time didn't quite work with getting there from work
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Surely not.

If, for example, the standard DIN setting tables say that for your size, boot length etc. the DIN setting should be 6 and they set it to 4.5 and you come out of the skis whilst turning (even on a gentle, slow dry slope this is possible) and you break an arm then you would have a undefensible negligence case against the dry slope. I cannot imagine a responsible dry slope operator doing this.

A few years ago I watched a young lady coming out of the start gate at a dry slope race and come straight out of her skis and tumble down the slope. Her dad had set the DIN settings too low. She did not sue him.

ps I have my dryslope skis set at 6 whilest my snow skis are set at 5

I can assure you they will follow the chart they have on the wall that states for a 172 ski for an advanced skier it is set at 4.5 and the techs will only follow the guide on the wall
My skis are set at a 7.5
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ghostlybadge, you are a big chap. Are you not afraid that if you set the DINS very high and fall, the forces on your knees, in particular, could do a lot of damage?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

It's just a pain with my small car lugging the skis around instead of just picking up a hire set when in open practice or coaching

I quite understand. I once tore a ski rack of the roof of my Fiat Panda 'cos I was in too much of a hurry. Wondering of you would mind sharing which slope this was?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I haven't been on a dry slope for 30 years. Is the Din setting any different than for snow?
At 69kg I just looked at a Din chart and it said I should be at 8 but that seems a bit high now since I am over 70. I ski on 7. 4.5 is stupid for a maximum.

Impact isn't the only problem on dry slopes, I once fell and cut open my leg on a cleat
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@snowball, The current (Salomon) chart shows a reduction in DIN for those above 50....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
@Ghostlybadge, you are a big chap. Are you not afraid that if you set the DINS very high and fall, the forces on your knees, in particular, could do a lot of damage?

Well most calculators put me on a 7-8 for DIN so a 7.5 is pretty much in the recommended range for me. It's a balance with the weight I have I also have more weight going through my feet in a turn so need to balance from enough din to keep my feet in the skis when doing a powerful turn and also low enough that they release if I fall.

This was first time using hired skis since last year when I have been on my own skis on the slopes and the 1 fall I had to they released easily with no damage.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ski wrote:
Quote:

It's just a pain with my small car lugging the skis around instead of just picking up a hire set when in open practice or coaching

I quite understand. I once tore a ski rack of the roof of my Fiat Panda 'cos I was in too much of a hurry. Wondering of you would mind sharing which slope this was?

I will private message you the name if you want to know but the thread has detoured away from the original issue of knee pads Very Happy

I got nothing bad to say about the dryslope other than the din setting chart that I will raise with them separately or find out who's guidance they are using for the chart
ski holidays
@Ghostlybadge, If you are doing race training then you will want shinguards, they will protect your knees from the matting during a fall as well.
snow report
ski wrote:
@snowball, The current (Salomon) chart shows a reduction in DIN for those above 50....
I ticked "over 60" on the chart
snow report
Looking on the internet at various charts and questionnaire to be clicked on I should variously be on din5.5, 6.5, 7.0, 8.0, 8.0, 8.5
ski holidays
Just about any mountain bike pads should do the job. Generally lighter and better to move in than skateboard or MX pads. Something with D3O or the POC "clay" protection will be very flexible and still give good protection. Look around at different models depending on what you want. "XC" or "Enduro" pads will generally be lighter and have less side protection but will be very comfortable and flexible and can easily be worn under ski trousers. Downhill pads will be bulkier and more rigid with more protection on the sides.
snow report
@stevomcd, thanks
latest report
@Ghostlybadge, Sent you a reply....Thanks.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy