Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Europe could suffer catastrophic climate collapse by 2025

Poster: A snowHead
A new study suggests the gulf stream could collapse as early as 2025, bringing drought to Africa and India and making Europe bitterly cold with average temperatures dropping up to 10C

What Paris could look like in 2025

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jul/25/gulf-stream-could-collapse-as-early-as-2025-study-suggests
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best get some winter tyres.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All those low lying ski resorts are back in the game!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
must find some 2nd hand cross country kit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I quote from the article "Evidence from past collapses indicate changes of temperature of 10C in a few decades, although these occurred during ice ages."
We are in the current ice age.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
LOL
some 'expert' must be looking for another round of funding.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aberdare becomes ski-in ski-out
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
While we all joke (snowier Scottish winters fine by me) the current heating in the Atlantic is absolutely unprecedented.
Scientists seem to have no idea what is going on, nor the potential impact on Europes climate - which is rather scary when you think about it....

The North Atlantic is experiencing a ‘totally unprecedented’ marine heat wave
https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/20/europe/marine-heatwave-north-atlantic-climate-scn-intl/index.html

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mike Pow, no need to build the dome at Merthyr any more
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
swskier wrote:
@Mike Pow, no need to build the dome at Merthyr any more

That will be for Summer Wink

Year round skiing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@davidof,
That's one of the promotional pictures for "The Day After Tomorrow..." all the premiere release cities got one - London's shows Big Ben half buried in snow and ice.

Anyhoo, the study says it could happen between 2025 and 2095, so a fair window, seeing that the threat to the Gulf Stream is well documented from freshwater melt from Greenland and the increased flow of fresh water from the arctic tundra regions into the Arctic Ocean. Primary concerns are more related to the reduced growing season on the Atlantic coastal nations, increased fuel dependency with corresponding increase in emissions, and the increase in unstable weather.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
it's a study by a mathematician and a statistician....Wouldn't trust the beta-nerds too much on such complex matters. Especially not end of July....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok, so that's all right then. Let's continue to fiddle while Rome (or at any rate Rhodes) burns.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Ok, so that's all right then. Let's continue to fiddle while Rome (or at any rate Rhodes) burns.

Well, maybe it is better here to focus on wintersports, where climate-change is all too obvious already for some years....and every new snow-cannon is adding to that.....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The climate of our planet is a global system, like it or not. Instability and unpredictable change is on its way.
snow conditions
Just think of the world children of today will be living in when they’re adults.
ski holidays
The irony of you all using the internet to discuss energy waste is amusing.
The internet accounts for approximately 7% of electricity consumption
snow report
This bit of it doesn't. It's mostly powered by hot air.
snow conditions
What has been a revelation for me recently, is the carbon output of beef production.
Mind you, it’s nothing compared to the Snowflake’s avocado getting flown in from Mexico
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@davidof,
That's one of the promotional pictures for "The Day After Tomorrow..." all the premiere release cities got one - London's shows Big Ben half buried in snow and ice.

snow report
pam w wrote:
This bit of it doesn't. It's mostly powered by hot air.

and eco friendly hamsters

anyway it has snowed today

snow conditions
A commenter on the FT's equivalent article linked to something really interesting:

"The notion that the Gulf Stream is responsible for keeping Europe anomalously warm turns out to be a myth"

https://www.americanscientist.org/article/the-source-of-europes-mild-climate
latest report
... the related article I read suggested the effect on GDP 'could be' 20% over that time period.... an observation which was soundly debased as most GDP forecasts are inaccurate.
As an aside, does anyone have a reliable accurate forecast for the weather next week? for anywhere? At the moment, where I am (Cervinia, not that it matters particularly), Accuweather is realiable for about 6 hours into the future, and 'roughly' reliable for tomorrow.... as for 2-5 years time, or further, forget it. (and Accu is the best tool I've found...).
latest report
hamilton wrote:
as for 2-5 years time, or further, forget it. (and Accu is the best tool I've found...).

I don't think I have ever seen anyone attempt to model the weather with a prediction for 2-5 years time.

Climate change does get modelled at that interval and further out. The models are constantly being refined with increasing accuracy.
latest report
hamilton wrote:
As an aside, does anyone have a reliable accurate forecast for the weather next week? for anywhere? At the moment, where I am (Cervinia, not that it matters particularly), Accuweather is realiable for about 6 hours into the future, and 'roughly' reliable for tomorrow.... as for 2-5 years time, or further, forget it. (and Accu is the best tool I've found...).

Nobody is claiming that they can predict the weather on a particular day 2-5 years (or longer) in the future.

What most scientists are saying is that there will be changes to the climate (a different thing to the weather) on a scale that has never been seen before in our lifetimes or in recent preceding generations.
snow report
@Haggis_Trap,
Why is it scray?
Anomalies happen all the time.
latest report
Extremophile wrote:
Just think of the world children of today will be living in when they’re adults.

The same world we/they live in today.
latest report
pam w wrote:

Not reported widely on MSM but authorities on Rhodes believe it was arson
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, I'd heard that on the news. Not sure how it changes things. There is consensus amongst climate scientists that the present extent of wildfires could not have happened without human-induced climate change.
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
pam w wrote:

Not reported widely on MSM but authorities on Rhodes believe it was arson

I’ve never really understood the supposed link between hot weather and wildfires.
Leaving aside lightning strikes, does grass, etc just catch fire spontaneously, even at ambient temps of 45C? Or is the link more between dry weather and wildfires (obvs, hot dry weather is likely to make for more easily combustible material than cold dry weather)…?
snow conditions
Red Leon wrote:
Or is the link more between dry weather and wildfires (obvs, hot dry weather is likely to make for more easily combustible material than cold dry weather)…?

It's all about fuel AFAIK. Sustained hot weather obviously dries out grassland and scrub (and tends to be assoicated with high pressure so not much rain). Certainly in the US Sierras which are usually a decent wildfire hotspot, deadfall can be tinder dry even in winter. Then it only takes a single lightning strike, a careless camper, a smoker, a BBQ.
snow report
@Red Leon, why would you leave aside lightning strikes? There are thousands and thousands of strikes over the summer, and they frequently start fires. If the forest is dry, and it doesn’t need to be completely dry to catch, it just goes up faster.

When it is very dry, it doesn’t take much to start a fire. A spark from a car, a broken glass bottle, even birds are sometimes the arsonists Shocked
ski holidays
inthecold wrote:
A commenter on the FT's equivalent article linked to something really interesting:

"The notion that the Gulf Stream is responsible for keeping Europe anomalously warm turns out to be a myth"

https://www.americanscientist.org/article/the-source-of-europes-mild-climate

Fascinating. Turns out that the UK is mild because it’s on the wrong side of the Atlantic and is exposed to predominantly warm air masses importing sub tropical warmth. Switching off the Gulf Stream would then make little difference.
But would that not also disrupt the jet stream leading to longer periods when the Uk is exposed to cooler air from the north and east? Albeit the artic and continental air is never particularly cold these days.
latest report
Scarlet wrote:
@Red Leon, why would you leave aside lightning strikes? There are thousands and thousands of strikes over the summer, and they frequently start fires. If the forest is dry, and it doesn’t need to be completely dry to catch, it just goes up faster.

When it is very dry, it doesn’t take much to start a fire. A spark from a car, a broken glass bottle, even birds are sometimes the arsonists Shocked

I said, “leaving aside lightning” because it’s an obvious way for a fire to start rolling eyes
Anyway, your response and others pretty much confirm what I was suggesting, ie. that wildfires are NOT started by high ambient temps but are (obvs) more associated with dry weather.
I’m just not sure why the news reports bang on about the high temps being the cause of the fires.
latest report
Gored wrote:
Extremophile wrote:

Lol. The same planet, yes, but not the same civilisation. I know it’s an inconvenience for you to think outside of ‘the universe according to Gored’ but do try.
ski holidays
Extremophile wrote:
Gored wrote:
Extremophile wrote:

Lol. The same planet, yes, but not the same civilisation. I know it’s an inconvenience for you to think outside of ‘the universe according to Gored’ but do try.

If my 56 years of memory; passed down family 'lore'; and photographic evidence is anything to go by, the climate in Wales has stayed remarkably consistent throughout that time

We had and still have four seasons, the length of each fluctuating each year but not markedly
We have cycles where the Summers are much warmer than those the 5 or so years before them or after them
We have cycles where the Winters are much colder than those the 5 or so years before them or after them

If we get a consistent spell of cold weather in the Winter, then snow will fall at low altitudes. Even at sea level

It rains consistently every month of the year and the temperature range for most of the calendar year is quite narrow (in comparison with other parts of the world) of around 20C. Between around 5C and 25C

I grew up in an industrial Welsh valley which had mining and iron production in the near vicinity

During my childhood we had the Phurnacite Plant producing smokeless coal fuel for the bigger UK cities

The production process filled the valley with pollution and there were many days when you could not see one end of the valley from the other (a bit like modern day China)

There is no heavy industry in and around my valley at present and nature has done a remarkable and natural job of greening the valley

Children born today are born in to a far better environment from the the one I was born into

I don't see that regressing back to 1966 levels in the next half century

And for those saying 56 years is not a long enough time period to base 'science' on, the scientists are not working with that much more data (in relative terms) than me

They're basing their forecasts on records which go back to 1884, that's 139 years

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 27-07-23 13:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
I grew up in an industrial Welsh valley which had mining and iron production in the near vicinity

During my childhood we had the Phurnacite Plant producing smokeless coal fuel for the bigger UK cities

The production process filled the valley with pollution and there were many days when you could not see one end of the valley from the other (a bit like modern day China)

Was that the Phurnacite plant at Abercwmboi?
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Yes, I'd heard that on the news. Not sure how it changes things. There is consensus amongst climate scientists that the present extent of wildfires could not have happened without human-induced climate change.

Causation and correlation are not the same thing

Greece is hot and dry for much of the year

This provides the fuel

But without the human 'heat' of arson or stupidity then the wildfires don't exist

And the expansion of humans and infrastructure into previously uninhabited areas which do traditionally experience natural wildfires are now more significant than they were 40-50 years ago

The same goes for flooding
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Was that the Phurnacite plant at Abercwmboi?

Yes
ski holidays
OMG

A push back by scientists on science

https://archive.md/LE6rM
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy