Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transfer / Eatery Recommendations Val D'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Just booked Val for March, and we're looking for any transfer company recommendations from Chambery, 4 adults, and one big ski bag. Similarly, a lot of the reviews for Val on here seem pretty old, does anyone have any up-to-date recommendations for food/drinks, both mountain and towns, french fair, good 'value' whether it be a decent pizza for €15 or a Michelin * meal for €100 all suggestions welcome!

Ta!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I was in EK in Jan, I thought food prices on the mountain had taken a considerable jump in price since I was last there - so most days went back to the room for Bread/Cheese/Coffee etc. I think I payed €22 for a bowl of soup!

From years ago - we liked Chez Paulo Pizzeria at Rond Point des Piste (near where the bus stops and beside the Rond Point Apartments)...but have no idea what it's like now.
https://www.seevaldisere.com/restaurants/chez-paolo-restaurant-val-d-isere-val-d-isere-centre-60360

We also liked the value in the Cafe in that "Square" near the beginner lifts (ESF at the bottom of that square)....It was half way down on the left (ski rack outside). Again, it's been a while.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Old Fartbag wrote:
When I was in EK in Jan, I thought food prices on the mountain had taken a considerable jump in price since I was last there - so most days went back to the room for Bread/Cheese/Coffee etc. I think I payed €22 for a bowl of soup!

From years ago - we liked Chez Paulo Pizzeria at Rond Point des Piste (near where the bus stops and beside the Rond Point Apartments)...but have no idea what it's like now.
https://www.seevaldisere.com/restaurants/chez-paolo-restaurant-val-d-isere-val-d-isere-centre-60360

We also liked the value in the Cafe in that "Square" near the beginner lifts (ESF at the bottom of that square)....It was half way down on the left (ski rack outside). Again, it's been a while.

I remember paying €14 for a slice of lemon merage on Piste near Tignes 8-10 years ago and felt really ripped off, as i say, looking around the site it seems all the EK posts are from that era, not sure why though. Looked at transfers and it's similar to getting a car and driving from Chambery, just a pain when you need a big car to fit bags / ski's in.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Best value for coffee on the mountain is at the top of the Solaise (best view from a urinal too).
Reasonable value food on Bellvarde area at the Marmottes restaurant.

Both @chocksaway, and @Steve Angus, have long running EK threads in "snow reports..." section. Just be sure to go to the latest pages, not the early ones wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chambery Airport is about 150km to Val d'sere. About 2 hours by taxi. Quite expensive I imagine. Might be cheaper to hire a car, though I'm not sure about parking. Or bus to Chambery station, then train to Bourg St Maurice then bus again would be by far the cheapest.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If the weather is good - Tignes Cuisine in Le Lac, and in any case the neighbouring Loop Bar
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
adithorp wrote:
Best value for coffee on the mountain is at the top of the Solaise (best view from a urinal too).
Reasonable value food on Bellvarde area at the Marmottes restaurant.

Both @chocksaway, and @Steve Angus, have long running EK threads in "snow reports..." section. Just be sure to go to the latest pages, not the early ones wink

Thanks started trawling those for any suggestions! Transfers I've got a quote for €600 which is similar to car + parking tbh (again needing a car big enough for the planks)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball wrote:
Chambery Airport is about 150km to Val d'sere. About 2 hours by taxi. Quite expensive I imagine. Might be cheaper to hire a car, though I'm not sure about parking. Or bus to Chambery station, then train to Bourg St Maurice then bus again would be by far the cheapest.

Yeah, we're happy covering the costs, just whether there are any suggestions for good transfer companies for Val, i would have thought there would be loads but I've only come across 2... Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Levi215,
Go onto the Snow reports forum and check the first post on the Tignes and Tignes- Val d'Isere thread for transport companies.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you want cheap n cheerful on mountain, there are a couple of very good value self serve restaurants in the Val sector - La Cascade right up on the glacier, and Les Marmottes which is down from the Bellevarde going back toward La Daille etc.

Both have (imo) remarkably cheap food - simple fare, pasta etc but decent enough, very cheap coffee and pichets of vin rouge. It can be a bit of a scrum at busy times, but you takes your chances etc......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
the best value place on the val side is by the Borsat lift, but cascades in the le fornet also a good shout for that part of the mountain..... avoid the signal, used to be good now a clip joint / tourist trap...... Tignes cuisine best value for lunch on tignes side / jam bar also good on rue de la poste...... if the sun is out though tignes cuisine is the way to go
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If over tignes val claret side do NOT go to Le Palet at the top of the tichot chair for anything other than a soft drink - which were reasonably priced last year- i double checked the price list when we left.

Last season, we ended up there not by intention when i needed to rest my knee after the piste was in absolutely horrendous condition. 2 coffees cost us over €12 euros, and when i asked for sugar he gave me one, so i asked for more and he gave me one more… i wouldnt have minded if the coffee was good but it wasnt… it really wasnt… it was tiny, watery, bitter, and not very hot, and you have to pay 20c for the loo.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Best restaurant in town is in the Avancher hotel . Not cheap but very good.

We also had a cheaper meal in Le Barillon at La Daille for more traditional environment and fayre . Plus you can have a pre dinner drink at Rosees bar next door.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the slopes, the Datcha restaurant over on the Solaise isn't a bad option.

+1 for the Lounge at the top of the Solaise gondola. Great for a coffee, hot chocolate or a pastry at a decent price. It can be a nice sheltered spot on the decking in the sunshine.

+1 also for Tignes Cuisine and the Loop bar.

Also in Tignes is The Corner, literally tucked away in the corner at the bottom of the Tuffs lift, home cooked style food and great for a pie or sausage roll.

Down in La Daille, Les Tontons Grilleurs has been really good for the past couple of seasons. It is having a refit over the summer and so hopefully will be even better as they are extending the kitchen and moving everything onto the top floor. The food is cooked in an ember oven and good quality. Probably one of my favourites and is also dog friendly.

For Asian fusion, Le Hibou in the Portillo building is good for something to eat post apres. Small menu but all pretty tasty. Busy bar with a good vibe.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kenzie wrote:
@Levi215,
Go onto the Snow reports forum and check the first post on the Tignes and Tignes- Val d'Isere thread for transport companies.

Lovely thanks!
snow report
GreenDay wrote:
If you want cheap n cheerful on mountain, there are a couple of very good value self serve restaurants in the Val sector - La Cascade right up on the glacier, and Les Marmottes which is down from the Bellevarde going back toward La Daille etc.

Both have (imo) remarkably cheap food - simple fare, pasta etc but decent enough, very cheap coffee and pichets of vin rouge. It can be a bit of a scrum at busy times, but you takes your chances etc......

Noted thanks for the help!
ski holidays
Extremophile wrote:
If over tignes val claret side do NOT go to Le Palet at the top of the tichot chair for anything other than a soft drink - which were reasonably priced last year- i double checked the price list when we left.

Last season, we ended up there not by intention when i needed to rest my knee after the piste was in absolutely horrendous condition. 2 coffees cost us over €12 euros, and when i asked for sugar he gave me one, so i asked for more and he gave me one more… i wouldnt have minded if the coffee was good but it wasnt… it really wasnt… it was tiny, watery, bitter, and not very hot, and you have to pay 20c for the loo.

Added to my avoid list snowHead
ski holidays
sheffskibod wrote:
Best restaurant in town is in the Avancher hotel . Not cheap but very good.

We also had a cheaper meal in Le Barillon at La Daille for more traditional environment and fayre . Plus you can have a pre dinner drink at Rosees bar next door.

Will give them a go, good to see a fellow sheffielder in the snowheads!
latest report
sno trax wrote:
On the slopes, the Datcha restaurant over on the Solaise isn't a bad option.

+1 for the Lounge at the top of the Solaise gondola. Great for a coffee, hot chocolate or a pastry at a decent price. It can be a nice sheltered spot on the decking in the sunshine.

+1 also for Tignes Cuisine and the Loop bar.

Also in Tignes is The Corner, literally tucked away in the corner at the bottom of the Tuffs lift, home cooked style food and great for a pie or sausage roll.

Down in La Daille, Les Tontons Grilleurs has been really good for the past couple of seasons. It is having a refit over the summer and so hopefully will be even better as they are extending the kitchen and moving everything onto the top floor. The food is cooked in an ember oven and good quality. Probably one of my favourites and is also dog friendly.

For Asian fusion, Le Hibou in the Portillo building is good for something to eat post apres. Small menu but all pretty tasty. Busy bar with a good vibe.

Grilleurs sounds perfect! right up my street
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy