Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal ski/TUI ski carriage reduces to 15kg?

Poster: A snowHead
I was looking at booking a ski holiday for the coming winter and was playing around on Crystal ski website. I noted the ski carriage now says 15kg (previously it was 20kg). Just wondering if people spotted that too? Bit sneaky. I typically bring two pair of skis with me (one for me one for my OH). From memory they are in excess of 15kgs (but less than 20kg). Debating if I should fork out another £50 and get ski carriage for both of us.

I also think they have reduced the check in luggage allowance from 23kg to 20kg (although less sure on this).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just take the bindings off one or both pairs and pop them in a normal check in bag. I would think that would get you ski bag below 15kg if only 2 pairs are involved.

I get four pairs in a ski bag under 23kg by doing that, albeit one pair is a kids pair.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My memory - which could be wrong - is that Ski Carriage has been 15kg for some time (Maybe 5 years or more).

Standard Luggage allowance is 20kg. You can pool luggage, as long as no one item is more than 25kg. If you are staying in a Crystal Finest Hotel (or upgrade to Premium Club), then it goes up to 23kg.

One set per bag is to do with insurance - if skis are damaged/missing, then only one set covered. Also:

For any reason, should your carriage fail to arrive on your flight, the charge will be refunded and skis forwarded to you in resort free of charge. We will also arrange hire for you until your skis arrive. For each pair of skis/board that you have paid carriage for and that does not arrive, you will receive hire for 1 set of skis and/or snowboard.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 25-07-23 9:57; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I get 2 sets of skis and poles in our bags for under 15kg for double bag. Although we knly have 3 adults skis, one is a juniors.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Old Fartbag, +1.
I’m sure it’s been 15kg for quite some time now.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ster wrote:
Just take the bindings off one or both pairs and pop them in a normal check in bag. I would think that would get you ski bag below 15kg if only 2 pairs are involved.

I get four pairs in a ski bag under 23kg by doing that, albeit one pair is a kids pair.

Thanks - out of curiosity my skis don't have insert can I just take the bindings off like that?

Seems that everyone thinks it's been 15kg so I must have mis-remembered. I'll have another go tonight weighing the skis + sportube (which is quite heavy on its own)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Easyjet is 15kg, so probably brought it inline with budget airlines.
15kg is plenty for 2x
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i always thought it was 10kg, so a win for me....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gored, Easyjet are 20kg for skis...

https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/baggage/sports-equipment
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Old Fartbag wrote:
One set per bag is to do with insurance - if skis are damaged/missing, then only one set covered. Also:

For any reason, should your carriage fail to arrive on your flight, the charge will be refunded and skis forwarded to you in resort free of charge. We will also arrange hire for you until your skis arrive. For each pair of skis/board that you have paid carriage for and that does not arrive, you will receive hire for 1 set of skis and/or snowboard.

Thats always the risk in cramming more that one pair in, but does not preclude you claiming on your own travel insurance.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
euanovsky wrote:
ster wrote:

Thanks - out of curiosity my skis don't have insert can I just take the bindings off like that?

Not sure what you mean by “my skis don’t have inserts”, perhaps my lack of technical knowledge. But all our skis (bar the youngest’s current model) have bindings on rails so they just slide off, in various fashions.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ster wrote:
euanovsky wrote:
ster wrote:

Not sure what you mean by “my skis don’t have inserts”, perhaps my lack of technical knowledge. But all our skis (bar the youngest’s current model) have bindings on rails so they just slide off, in various fashions.

Thanks my skis are flat mounted (so no rails) guess bindings can't come off then!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The heal piece will unwind off
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@euanovsky, maybe not and doesn’t sound like they’re screwed in with those fancy screw’s everyone raves about on here then?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ster wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Thats always the risk in cramming more that one pair in, but does not preclude you claiming on your own travel insurance.

Are you sure it doesn't?
snow report
We always take 2 pairs of skis in a double ski tube (under 15kg) but always pay for 2 ski carriage- just in case there is any issue.

An extra £50 on top of what already paid for a ski holiday isn't really much and would rather know I've got my own skis after rubbish experience booking rental through Crystal (just because I'm a lady doesn't mean I want really short skis! Booked advance ones and that appeared to be piste skis only rolling eyes )
latest report
It depends which airline they have placed you on. If with easyjet for example it would be 20 Kg , with TUI only 15 kg.
https://www.crystalski.co.uk/help/travel-info/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy