Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Colorado map for 4week trip

Poster: A snowHead
We have Been to Colorado several times but only to main resorts. We are no longer restricted to employed holiday leave and want to plan a 4 week trip around the smaller resorts of Colorado in 2024, Some places maybe 1 day and others 2- 4days skiing each. I have googled ski resort maps but interested if anyone has already looked into or already done a similar trip and found a good map for planning this type of trip.
I had a link for epic ski.com which was my Colorado go to but this no longer works and web site seems to have vanished.
I was planning on hiring a car for the duration(pretty sure this is needed) but if anyone had done this without a hire car I would be interested to hear.
Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colorado Gems pass

https://www.coloradoski.com/passes-and-deals/gems-card/

But almost everywhere else is tied up in Epic or Ikon. More or less impossible without a car. Just use Google maps.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MogulMonkey,
Ask the Colorado state tourist office if they can help
https://www.colorado.com/colorado-ski-resorts
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MogulMonkey, We just use google maps to plan our roadtrips, easily done - sorting the passes can be interesting though. We were down that way in 2019

Some good B+B places to saty around the smaller ski areas - if you drop down to Wolf Creek, go a little further into New Merxico to Taos. Around a 2 hr drive and easily done. forecast is for a good season there in 2024, as well as southern CO.

Purgatory is 'interesting' but Durango is a great little town Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A Ski Cooper season pass (Cooper not Copper) is affiliated with Powder Alliance, Freedom Pass and Indy Pass.
https://www.stormskiing.com/p/indy-pass-declares-war-as-ski-cooper?utm_source=substack&publication_id=7871&post_id=132985074&utm_medium=email&utm_content=share&triggerShare=true&isFreemail=true
3 days at 74 ski areas.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Interesting..didn’t know about the gems card or cooper card. This is the type of info I was hoping for so thank you.. I plan to add this to a large print out of the area.. I like military style planning Eh oh! ..
Also hoping someone has some good tips on hotels etc @Kenzie, I will check out the tourist office as well which I hadn’t thought about.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@MogulMonkey, I like to stay in the towns as opposed to resorts. I quite like Glenwood Springs. A good spot if skiing Sunlight. Also good if you want to lash out with a ski day in Aspen or just a tourist day checking out the rich people.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sbooker wrote:
A Ski Cooper season pass (Cooper not Copper) is affiliated with Powder Alliance, Freedom Pass and Indy Pass.
https://www.stormskiing.com/p/indy-pass-declares-war-as-ski-cooper?utm_source=substack&publication_id=7871&post_id=132985074&utm_medium=email&utm_content=share&triggerShare=true&isFreemail=true
3 days at 74 ski areas.

That's an unbelievable deal

Some great hills on that pass
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spent the Winter of 2005/06 instructing at Keystone and had the opportunity to ski a lot of the Colorado areas

Cooper
Sunlight
Monarch
Loveland

Were all great fun and would gladly return

There's a massive geographical spread to consider along with vastly different weather patterns and micro-climates

Might be worth grouping resorts and ski areas into mini-loops and decide closer to the time where you're going to play

It's always about the snow for me so I'd rather have better ski days in a smaller number of resorts over knocking off as many as I can in a month

Your take may be different

Also combining a geographical area like Southern Colorado and Northern New Mexico might work out better

Monarch
Crested Butte
Silverton
Telluride
Durango Springs
Wolf Creek

Red River
Taos
Angel Fire
Sipapu
Pajarito
Ski Santa Fe
Sandia Peak
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
MogulMonkey,

We've done a Colorado road trip 3 times now and would recommend it strongly, particularly the smaller, off the beaten track, ski resorts.

You may be interested in my report of our 2020 trip, which includes some lesser known resorts:-

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4575755&highlight=colorado#4575755

Silverton is our favourite "resort" in Colorado and should be on anybody's to do list! wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Durango Springs

No such place. Durango is a town, the local ski area is Purgatory about 30 minutes north. Purgatory does have "interesting" terrain but has great views, a friendly vibe, and decent prices.

Quote:
Red River
Taos
Angel Fire
Sipapu
Pajarito
Ski Santa Fe
Sandia Peak

Sandia Peak has not operated the past two winters. Pajarito, Red River, and Sipapu are very small resorts. Pajarito is not open every day, and has limited if any snowmaking.

Gems card is the way to go!

Smaller resorts:
Ski Cooper
Monarch
Ski Sunlight
Powderhorn (further west but truly a hidden gem)
Wolf Creek
Purgatory

Bigger resorts but must visits if you haven't already (both on Epic Pass):
Crested Butte
Telluride

If you like hot springs you are in luck!

Glenwood Springs: Glenwood Hot Springs
Glenwood Springs: Iron Mountain Hot Springs
Ouray: Ouray Hot Springs
Ouray: Wiesbaden Hotel
Durango: Durango Hot Springs Resort and Spa (recently renovated and expanded to 32 pools!)
Pagosa Springs: The Springs Resort
Buena Vista: Cottonwood Hot Springs

There are others, here is the complete list:
https://www.colorado.com/articles/colorado-hot-springs-quick-guide
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
To follow up on what is listed above... you could do something in Southwest Colorado that includes Purgatory, Telluride, Hesperus (if open... small local's hill near Durango, night skiing though), Silverton (if you are an experienced advanced/expert off piste skier... think CO's version of La Grave), Wolf Creek (best snow record in CO) and you could possibly pair that with a jaunt to Taos which is known for its steep terrain.

I'm also a massive fan of Crested Butte and it offers a lot to someone with off piste experience as inbounds advanced/expert terrain is probably the best in Colorado. It is also a bit more challenging to get to than the traditional I-70 resorts so it is less crowded. Snow record is not as pristine... better around February/March. The main town (not the slopeside town) is fantastic.

Our two scheduled trips this year are to Taos and Crested Butte.

If I were to look for "smaller" mountains closer to Denver, I would look into Loveland and Arapahoe Basin. Loveland and A-Basin have no lodging. Just great mountains that steer towards advanced skiers and above treeline skiing like you would see in Europe. Altitude is higher. The base elevation at A-Basin is about 3,300 meters. Has exceptional lift-served terrain and some hike to chutes and couloirs. I have not skied Loveland but I hear good things. Not frequented by tourists. Eldora is a front range mountain that is more frequented by people from Boulder and Denver... not touristy. Winter Park is not far from Denver... big mountain... great skiing. You have to driver over Berthoud Pass to get to Winter Park and the area is famous for backcountry although avalanche prone skiing. There used to be a small lift operation there but it shut down in the 1990s. If you like backcountry skiing, you might like the area. You'll see skiers hitchhiking on the road on the way to Winter Park. Further down that same valley is Granby Ranch which is popular with families but looks exceedingly boring to me.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh... if you go to Crested Butte, you can also ski Monarch Mountain. You pass it when coming from the east towards Gunnison to then go to Crested Butte. Smaller high elevation mountain with back bowls and pretty good snow record.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A-Basin/Powderhorn/Sunlight/Wolf Creek/Telluride - all highly recommended.
Ski Cooper not so much.
https://www.fall-line.co.uk/little-hills-big-thrills-powderhorn-usa/
https://www.fall-line.co.uk/little-hills-big-thrills-sunlight-mountain-resort-colorado/
https://www.fall-line.co.uk/pallavicini-chair-arapahoe-basin-colorado/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snow report
MogulMonkey wrote:

I had a link for epic ski.com which was my Colorado go to but this no longer works and web site seems to have vanished.

Not really. The heart (the members) mostly re-convened on Ski Talk: https://www.skitalk.com/forums/
ski holidays
wiigman wrote:

Ski Cooper not so much.

Catch it on a mid-week powder day and you'll have it all to yourself

Mellow but very enjoyable
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
wiigman wrote:

Ski Cooper not so much.

Catch it on a mid-week powder day and you'll have it all to yourself

Mellow but very enjoyable

Might be a bit busier on $30 Thursdays (Jan/Feb if you book more than two days in advance), but surely that's the cheapest in Colo?!
Whaaaaaaat! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy