Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner planning 23/24 season

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm currently planning the 23/24 season and looking for some advice. Back in January, my wife and I went on our first ski trip. We had a brilliant time but we (or rather I) should have picked a more beginner friendly resort (we went to Zermatt, which I've posted about previously). To set things right, I was hoping to book a couple more trips before the end of the season, but things didn't work out sadly. We haven't skied since.

Looking to 23/24, we've got 2 full weeks and a long weekend to play with. So far we've booked Courchevel 1850 with Crystal for the week before Feb half term, and we're undecided on the when and where of the other trips. I'm currently thinking of doing the long weekend in December or January to find our feet before Courchevel, then do the other week in March having hopefully progressed quite a bit in Courchevel. From a leave point of view, only Christmas is problematic. What would you do?

In terms of resorts and budget, we're pretty flexible. We'd like to go at least one non-French resort, and we'd prefer to keep the long weekend as cheap as possible. Our closest airports are Liverpool and Manchester, though we'd always prefer to fly out of Liverpool. From what I've read so far, Les 1800 (recommended a lot in other threads!), Saalbach, and Trysil look very good. And, as per my other thread, I'd really like to do Wengen.

Talking personally, I've been wanting a new hobby/obsession for some years and I think I've found it in skiing (and my wife is willing to indulge me!). If we can end the season confident, parallel, and on some reds, I'll be delighted. The sooner I can start looking at off-piste/backcountry, the better (though I'm still navigating this topic with my wife!).

Thanks for any help!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are some excellent ski schools in Courchevel - and doing intensive lessons during that week will best enable you to progress. Getting the right instructor is more important than getting the right resort, though Courchevel has plenty for everybody. Your Courchevel trip is the first week in February? Great choice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, thank you. Can you recommend a ski school? We are planning to get some private lessons.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My first thought - which I'm not sure whether it's Brilliant or Daft - is building on what @pam w has said.

Courchevel does have some really good Ski Schools and the slopes are ideal for people who are advanced beginners. As such, I would consider staying with it for your other week as well.

There is method to my madness - You will get the lay of the land and become familiar with the Ski School you use. If you take Private Lessons and like your Instructor, book them for the second week and you will have continuity. Also, if you like the rental skis you are given - then you know what to get again and where to get them.

Depending how adventurous you are - you might easily be happy with the "Courchevel Only" lift pass for the first week....and presuming decent progress - get the full 3V pass for the second week. The area is so big, this will be like having access to 3 other resorts.

Using the long weekend as a scouting mission, might also be sensible.

The downside to my suggestion - Courchevel 1850 is not cheap.

There are several threads on here giving advice on Schools and Instructors....and if you need further advice in this area, I'm sure it will be forthcoming.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 20-07-23 20:09; edited 4 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
inthecold wrote:
@pam w, thank you. Can you recommend a ski school? We are planning to get some private lessons.

This is typical of a thread on the topic: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=150633

I would recommend Supreme Ski. We used an Instructor called Scott Frew, who was excellent. https://www.supremeski.com/france/courchevel-ski-schools

Others to consider:

New Generation
Oxygen
Sweet Snow Sports
BASS

Whoever you use, try to go for native English Speakers.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Old Fartbag, that’s great, thank you. (By the way, I didn’t mean to come off as somebody who can’t use a search function, I hadn’t got to the point of thinking about ski schools yet so when @pam w mentioned it I figured I’d ask.) Funny you suggest extending Courchevel, as I had considered it. Crystal let you modify bookings online so I pulled the date forward by a week and checked the price… about 30% higher than the original week (original price included discounts so I guess it makes sense). No thanks! Also, not sure if fatigue will set in at this point: we weren’t tired at the end of the Zermatt trip but we did do a day of hiking and cut a couple of days short to do other things.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you've not been to Austria, you must try it. It's completely different to France. Not better not worse just different(we prefer Austria though).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I enjoyed New Gen but it was years ago - people here will have much more up to date suggestions.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The issue with trying another country when you are taking lessons is that countries may follow slightly different teaching patterns, so some will teach something in say week 1 that others leave until week 2.. By swapping around you may do some techniques twice, but not cover others at all! The risk can be reduced with private lessons everywhere, but that can get expensive.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
After a long chat, we’ve decided to mix it up. Cancelled Courchevel, and have Les Arc 1800 booked for mid January and Lech booked for early March. Just deciding on the long weekend.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy