Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Schools Courchevel

Poster: A snowHead
Hi SnowHeads,
I’m looking at Courchevel 1650 in March. Second week skiier although not hugely confident yet. I’ve looked at a couple on Google, but they were either 5 days or no adult group lessons. I’m travelling solo again so I’d prefer a group for company. I don’t fancy committing to 5 days, would rather book 3 and see how I go (flexibility to ski alone or add on a private.)

Any recommendations please?

Also had quotes for: Chalet Rikiki, Golden Eagle, Eagles Nest, Cascades. Any thoughts on these? Prices are all much of a muchness, with Rikiki slightly higher.

Thanks guys!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I liked Ski Supreme, when I was there....both for us and our kids. Our Instructor was called Scott Frew (spelling?).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MissBambi, I think being close to the escalators that take you to/from the main gondola is a big plus.
Cascades I think is the Ski Total chalethotel. More or less directly opposite those escalators. We stayed there and it was OK. A room on the back, overlooking the valley, is best. Front rooms can be noisy.
Don’t know the others.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski NewGeneration are always very good, used across a few resorts. Never let us down.

https://www.skinewgen.com/ski-schools/courchevel-1650/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks folks.

I shall check them out Very Happy

I think I’ve ruled out Cascades, I think it will just be too hectic (dining etc) and noisy...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@MissBambi, the dining room in Cascades we found noisy. Good location though.

+1 for New Gen...do they start lessons out of 1650 though? Or 1850? Worth confirming.
snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We used SnowLimits for private lessons and they were fantastic (we had Andy, who was great fun). They also run adult group lessons but there's not much info on the format. Worth dropping them a line though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@MissBambi,
Quote:

Chalet Rikiki, Golden Eagle, Eagles Nest, Cascades.

IMO, of those Le Ski chalets, Rikiki has a slightly better location. Handier for the piste for skiing back to. A bit off centre, but not too far a walk to Arondiaz gondola. The chalet is fairly standard for French Alps....smallish rooms, cosy. Being the bigger of their 3 chalets, 22 guests, more chance of finding mixed groups and people you'd get on with.
The other 'Eagle' two are down the hill from centre, adjacent each other. Not too far a walk there and back each day. But a stiff uphill walk each morning, or alternatively a level walk then a first long escalator ride, before crossing the road for a second short escalator ride up to the gondola.

Cascades, run by Ski Total, is an altogether larger affair and probably has the best location of the four. It's one minute walk from the front door to the short escalator up to the gondola. It's also very close to the bus stop, for free buses to take yo to, for example, Courchevel 1850 and Aquamotion leisure centre/pool. But I can confirm from staying there it gets noisy and I wouldn't like a room on the 1st floor overlooking the main road. However, the rear rooms are quieter, with good views.

Personally, if there's a single room going in Rikiki at a reasonable price I'd snap it up fast.
snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Go for Rikiki. It's a nicer location and if it's still run by LeSki then you're in the best hands.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PeakyB wrote:
@MissBambi, the dining room in Cascades we found noisy. Good location though.

+1 for New Gen...do they start lessons out of 1650 though? Or 1850? Worth confirming.
snowHead
They start lessons in both villages. Back when NewGen first started up they were based in 1650, only expanding to 1850 a few years later.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ryunis wrote:
Go for Rikiki. It's a nicer location and if it's still run by LeSki then you're in the best hands.
+1 (Le Ski are by far one of the very best ski operators around).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks again guys, I’ll check out the ski schools in more detail. Rikiki sounds the best in terms of size. Nightmares of being stuck with naughty kids or hooray henry’s for the week in a small chalet! (They’d probably think I’m the nightmare if I overdo it on the schnapps by accident - easily done, but horses for courses!)

Is it +£200 better option though as that’s the price difference and only catered 5/7
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="PeakyB"]@MissBambi, the dining room in Cascades we found noisy. Good location though.

Definitely out then for me. I don’t want to feel like I’m away on a school trip. I like a bit of peace in the evening (until I don’t but that’s another story) Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rob@rar, thanks for confirming New Gen start lessons both in 1650 and 1850.

How do you rate them?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
They're a bit more diverse now but New Gen used to be almost entirely BASI 4's and Trainers so ideal for Brits. Ski Supreme in 1650 is/was the Baxter family i.e. Alain and Noel, the world cup racers.
snow report
We used Ski New Gen and Rikiki. Both excellent but it was a long time ago. My OH had the late, great Ali Rainback. I'd go for 5 days lessons at your stage, not swap around. The continuity will be valuable.
latest report
PeakyB wrote:
@rob@rar, thanks for confirming New Gen start lessons both in 1650 and 1850.

How do you rate them?
Generally good. Obviously it depends on the individual instructor you are given, but they should all be good. They have lots of Italian instructors working for them now (previously it was almost exclusively Brits), but all fluent in English and good teachers.
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
Ski Supreme in 1650 is/was the Baxter family i.e. Alain and Noel, the world cup racers.
Was. Sue and Kenny sold up about five years ago I think.
latest report
pam w wrote:
My OH had the late, great Ali Rainback. I'd go for 5 days lessons at your stage, not swap around. The continuity will be valuable.

Ali was a gem. Desperately sad he died at such a young age.

Agree about the continuity of five days of group lessons. The instructor will almost certainly have things that he wants to cover across the five individual sessions, and if you skip one or two of these you are likely to miss the opportunity to develop important skills.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Raceplate wrote:
Ski Supreme in 1650 is/was the Baxter family i.e. Alain and Noel, the world cup racers.
Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure they were still there. I think I'm getting old - I was in 1650 as a punter when Alain got his bronze and there were celebratory banners outside the school before they had to come down. Did my L2 with Noel. All seems a long time ago!
snow report
Raceplate wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Raceplate wrote:
Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure they were still there. I think I'm getting old - I was in 1650 as a punter when Alain got his bronze and there were celebratory banners outside the school before they had to come down. Did my L2 with Noel. All seems a long time ago!

It was just after that I was there. Our Instructor Scott (who is still there), knew the Baxter family well - this explains why. I knew it was a small Scottish concern, but I didn't know who owned it.
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Raceplate wrote:
I think they both teach still, I saw Kenny last winter, but they decided to sell up to Aaron Tipping and a couple of other ex-GB team guys who were keen to expand to other resorts. I skied with Supreme (when it was called Masterclass) in the mid 90s when Alain was beginning to compete in Europa and World Cup events. That really makes me feel old!
latest report
pam w wrote:
We used Ski New Gen and Rikiki. Both excellent but it was a long time ago. My OH had the late, great Ali Rainback. I'd go for 5 days lessons at your stage, not swap around. The continuity will be valuable.

Thanks Pam, great advice.
snow report
Another school you may want to check out is Marmalade
snow report
Another vote here for New Gen. I think they are based next to the bakery at the top of the escalator in the centre of 1650.

They have taught both my kids and were great. Very well organised and the kids enjoyed the variety.

My wife also had refresher lessons which were in small adult groups. She really progressed and re-gained her confidence.

Finally we had a private lesson through them with a brilliant Italian instructor called Valerie. She was great fun and helped iron out some bad habits!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy