Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl Vs Selva Wolkenstien

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

Trying to pick between two resorts and made a pros cons list. We haven't been to either ski area before and are a group of intermediate/advanced skiers skiing for a week in Feb/March. Can anyone who has been before offer any further insights as to which to pick.

Ischgl

Pros
Large ski area with a good selection of intermediate/hard runs
Great lift infrastructure
More snow sure than Selva?
Better offpiste
Cons
Expensive
We dont generally do much apres ski so its not a draw

Selva

Pros
Large ski area
Great lift infrastructure
Cheaper than Ishcgl
Cons
Not as snow sure
Runs a little tame
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're not going to take part in the apres at Ischgl look at staying up/down the valley, rather than in Ischgl itself. Will trim your costs and you can either drive or catch the frequent, free buses that run up and down the valley during the day (upto something like 19:00/19:30).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you Mjit. Good tip.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've skied several times in both areas but not actually stayed in either. Most often in Feb.
As pointed out above Ischgl can be done more cheaply by staying in one of the nearby villages which we have done.

I don't think you would be dissapointed with either they are both great places to ski.
I wouldn't call Selva not snow sure unless you are intending to ski the off piste, the man made snow is so extensive and of very high quality that for piste skiing the snow cover is as reliable as anywhere.

There is probably a bit more challenging skiing in Ischgl with the ski routes, though there are plenty of enjoyable well pisted blacks around and near the Sella Ronda.

In my experience at very high season there tend to be rather more queues around Selva than at Ischgl, particularly if doing the Sella Ronda around the Val di Fassa. though there can be queuing at Ischgl it is more readily avoided.

For scenery and mountain restaurants the Dolomites are pretty unbeatable.

Both places are excellent and if you go to one you can always try the other another year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Both of the places are not snow sure but skiing sure.
If you know how to move and dont bother with sella Ronda selva is relative ok...
Ischgl dont know really. Since 2012 Was not there
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Both excellent ski areas though we stay in Arabba rather than Selva
If you are going late March I would opt for Ischgl though the last couple of years the best sone came to both late March.
I would ski both areas again, actually I am this winter Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy all now booked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ischgl or more specifically Paznaun Tel for me, the runs are more suited, and they do an excellent job of snow management, but I'd stay in Galtur as its more cost-effective. The free buses run into the evening so if you do decide to join the Apres anywhere you can still get back with ease.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Garfield wrote:
If you are going late March I would opt for Ischgl though the last couple of years the best sone came to both late March.
I would ski both areas again, actually I am this winter Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy all now booked

Is there a reason you prefer Arabba? I picked Selva as it looked a good sized area that was linked on the Sella Ronda circuit.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you for all the tips everyone
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@turboblackbeard, Arabba is higher than Selva with some of the 'tougher' runs in the Ronda - but, it is little more than a hamlet.

Having said that - it is a SnowHeads Favourite, hence the base for the Birthday Bash

=======

The food is better in Selva/Dolomites than Ischgl snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@albob, Thank you again for the information.

Food is quite high on our priority list Neh Neh

If we were staying in Arabba would you go halfboard or just eat out each evening? We are not interested in self catering. Some of our group is vegetarian if that effects your response.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arabba is very well positioned on the Sella with easy access to the Marmolada beating the queues that can build up if coming over from Selva at a choke point just above Arabba. Also can ski over the war route which is good fun but a bit of a tight schlep from Selva, The Val Gardena skiing is fairly accessible from Arabba though Alpe di suisi would be a fair bit of travelling but it is fairly gentle stuff once you get there and probably not the most interesting for most skiers beyond earlyish intermediate. (Alpe di Suisi that is the rest of Val Gardena is fine)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
turboblackbeard wrote:
Garfield wrote:

Is there a reason you prefer Arabba? I picked Selva as it looked a good sized area that was linked on the Sella Ronda circuit.

Mainly we like the hotel (Evaldo) also handy for Marmolada and Alta Badia
We also found sometimes Selva can be a bit of a bottle neck for the two main lifts out of town.
It's just my personal choice and I have stayed in Selva in the summer and liked the place.
There's not a lot of nightlife in Arabba if that's a requirement.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 10-07-23 22:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@turboblackbeard, I think your +/- analysis is close, though Selva's lift system isn't as modern as Ischgl's (few are). And while the Dolomites are not naturally snow-sure, their massive snowmaking system protects us, as it did me during last season. You do have to look a bit more for steep runs, but you can find them. And the laid back attitude and the food make it easy for me to suggest you go to Selva, or another place in the Dolomites. If you can make use of an Ikon pass somewhere else in addition to this trip (you get 5 days in Dolomiti Superski) that might be a tie-breaker for ya. I typically enjoy going out for dinner but I'm sort of a convert to the half-board thang. It works really well in the Alps, especially if the town/village is unfamiliar. No stress finding/getting into restaurants, and its way easier to eat semi-healthy that way, too, as they typically have a salad bar.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stay in Galtur, plenty of good hotels. I stay in the Alpenhotel Tirol. 15 minutes on the free bus to Ischgl, get off at the tunnel, a few minutes walk to the Fimbabagn or Pardatchgratbahn. Minimal queues.
snow conditions
Don't be tempted by the cheapskate options of the 'down the valley' places near Ischgl. If you go there, stay in the village itself.

Whether you enjoy or endure the 'atmosphere' at least you won't be commuting on the ghastly bus which is the worst possible way to start and end each day
ski holidays
Having stayed in the valley on numerous occasions I disagree.
Usually used a rental car rather than a bus but in no way was it ghastly or something to endure.
snow report
We had 2 weeks in Kappl last April and used the ski bus every day we went to Ischgl, rather than driving (we had a car with us). Using the ski bus was pretty similar to using a ski bus when staying in resort but a way away from the lifts - i.e. a bus every ~10 mins, so just rock up, and it takes 10-15 minutes. However, this was late/low season, and we got a seat almost every trip, whereas in peak season (Feb, or early Mar), I expect the busses will be a lot fuller
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
Don't be tempted by the cheapskate options of the 'down the valley' places near Ischgl. If you go there, stay in the village itself.

Whether you enjoy or endure the 'atmosphere' at least you won't be commuting on the ghastly bus which is the worst possible way to start and end each day

Non taken!!!!

As for the "ghastly bus" the twice I've stayed at Galtur, getting on the bus in either direction is never an issue on a morning. Avoid getting on the bus at the Silvrettabahn (avoid anyway) and get on at the pedestrian tunnel.
ski holidays
Ischgl will definitely be better for off piste. It gets more natural snow and is higher. Off piste is unreliable and even frowned upon in parts of the Dolomites.
Selva normally has better weather than the Austrian alps with more sunshine and good shelter in the trees. It has a lower likelihood of lift closures or poor visibility although that is a lower risk in late February. Selva is reliably connected to a larger ski area with more variety of day trips available (over 500kms). As mentioned previously the food and atmosphere of the Dolomites is also excellent.
Choosing between the two is a nice problem to have.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy