Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter sports are no longer a mainstay of tourism

Poster: A snowHead
This maybe Germany but i remember many of us Dutchies skied used to ski over here every winter at the weekends ...

In Central Germany, too little snow falls in the winter sports resorts. As a result, a lot of revenue is lost. How can winter sports resorts reorient themselves? And what does sustainable tourism look like in Central Germany?

In the Harz Mountains (Lower Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt, and Thuringia), alternative offers have long been part of the industry, according to the tourism association.

Regardless of snowfall

"There are actually no longer any businesses that can exist solely from winter sports," says the managing director. The companies have all switched to alternative supply structures. Companies that equipped skiers in winter would offer alternatives in summer.

One example is the lift operators. According to Schmidt, they now bring mountain bikers to the mountains in the summer months, create downhill trails and offer hiking tours.

Compensate for losses

Schmidt says you'll probably have to live with the fact that winter sports days continue to decline. This makes it all the more important that winter sports resorts offer all year round. In this way, the losses caused by the mild winters could be compensated. In the Harz region, there are numerous cultural offerings and indoor activities. New, modern activities such as monster scooters, e-bikes, tree suspension railways, the suspension bridge and other activities that can be used all year round are also a useful addition.

Schmidt is sceptical about pure winter sports facilities: "Only multifunctional year-round usage concepts for facilities make economic sense."

https://www.mdr.de/nachrichten/deutschland/wirtschaft/wintersportorte-tourismus-zukunftstour-100.html

Its a warning of whats coming to the Alps diversification will need to be speeded up to attract customers to Alps in the Winter when there is no snow................ Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There’ll be snow for the foreseeable future in the higher resorts - hence the massive influx of Swiss money into Tignes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having calendar diversification has always made sense. Some places are better at a summer offer than others though and the sudden cliff drop of facilities etc being open at the beginning of September always seems to me to be a bit self defeating in terms of extending the summer season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A quick Google suggests the top of the biggest resort in the area is only at 1000m. Was it ever really snow sure there? Further south and even lower than Scottish resorts.

Diversification seems to be the norm now anyway. Don't think there are too many resorts that simply close for summer.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@boarder2020, latitude and height aren't the only factor affecting snowfall though. Germany's winter weather has far more of a continental influence. Not that I'm saying that it is reliable for snow!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And I've consistently had great snow conditions in March and April

The season doesn't finish at half-term or Easter
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Your all missing the point....

There are far more wintersports tourists (Europe) who visit the the lower lying, less well known cheaper & local areas than the massive higher expensive ski areas....

If these lower areas dry up with snow and they are !!... The current visitors to these areas will have to move up to the higher resorts if they can afford it or just quit the sport ..

Many will not even go to these higher areas as they are far to expensive & they do not want the international vibe ...only local & traditional ..

However, the larger areas are FULL in terms of accommodation & restrictions on building and more Hotels etc ...

What it means in the longterm that these larger ski areas will just get saturated and prices will increase massively with the demand..

Its not a good look for the future...

BTW.. If nature is not doing enough to produce snow & ice .... Take a look at Solden ... They are bulldozing away the Glacier Shocked Shocked

Over on Dutch Forum

https://www.wintersport.nl/nieuws/02/07/2023/rigoreuze-renovatie-van-world-cup-piste-in-solden
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes I suspect there are many people dropping out of skiing across Europe now. Long ago we passed the point where commercial skiing could exist without snowmaking. I can imagine the next milestone being the point when snowmaking becomes unreliable. Given the speed of change that might be sooner rather than later. Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Europe is a VERY big place

Look beyond the usual suspects for great skiing at very affordable prices
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Peter S, that milestone will be a gradual one rather than absolute. Certainly in some lower or more Atlantic-influenced resorts snowmaking was unreliable for parts of last season, such as Portes du Solely / Flaine. Plus Scotland obviously!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Changes in climate, costs and different attitudes to sustainable development are all stacking up the odds against snowsports as a driver of mass tourism.

Fewer new young entrants to the market than in recent decades. If they’re struggling with mortgages, rent, heating, education fees etc, how many can afford high price holidays?

Also, I imagine a high proportion of regular snowsports tourists started in the 1980s and 1990s, when package trips became affordable to many. That cohort is obviously getting older, with many less active.

The industry needs to adapt to its changing market. If it doesn’t, will winter sports tourism revert back to a luxury for the most affluent, like it was 50 years ago?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton wrote:
...but i remember many of us Dutchies skied...

Did they always ski on the left hand side? ..... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PeakyB wrote:
Changes in climate, costs and different attitudes to sustainable development are all stacking up the odds against snowsports as a driver of mass tourism.

Fewer new young entrants to the market than in recent decades. If they’re struggling with mortgages, rent, heating, education fees etc, how many can afford high price holidays?

Also, I imagine a high proportion of regular snowsports tourists started in the 1980s and 1990s, when package trips became affordable to many. That cohort is obviously getting older, with many less active.

The industry needs to adapt to its changing market. If it doesn’t, will winter sports tourism revert back to a luxury for the most affluent, like it was 50 years ago?

There are hundreds of European destinations where you can enjoy a 7-day (6 days on snow) holiday for under £1000 per person all in

To me that's not a 'luxury for the most affluent' cost
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'm sure cost is a factor for some. However, how many want to ski? I have a few friends involved in athletics clubs and they are struggling to get youngsters involved. We know teenagers are on average becoming more obese and less active. For those that are fit enough to want to do 6 days of exercise and have the money, there are now so many alternative holiday choices out there. For example some of my early 20s friends decided to do a mallorca cycling holiday this winter, one did the Seville marathon, some are giving up winter holiday to save some money/annual leave for bigger summer trips (everest base camp hike, canada road trip). There is a lot of competition and skiing is not necessarily top of everyones list - cold, weather dependent, perhaps these days not considered "exotic" or interesting enough for some.

Also a quick google suggests that the average brit holiday abroad costs around 1000gbp. Obviously that doesn't tell the whole story, and I'm sure some are priced out. However, a skiing holiday doesnt have to break the bank, there are cheaper options for those desperate to get out there. Hearing from one of my younger relatives how much they spent on entry and drinks in an Ibiza nightclub makes skiing look good value for money Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Also population growth across Europe is slowing and the proportion and number of younger people is declining. The baby boomers are increasingly falling out of skiing (and no doubt other active sports) and I suspect they are not being replaced in equivalent numbers by the young, for the reasons above. Not a crisis but an inevitable trend.
snow conditions
This isn't new news. Any previously ski-town council worth its salt who wants to continue as a mountain tourist destination have been looking at how to become 3 or 4 season destinations for years.
ski holidays
Agreed, there are still good value ski trips available. More often in smaller areas, low season, less convenient, less snowsure locations than a decade or two ago.

I’ve no doubt that typical costs have jumped though. I hope that trend won’t continue and that snowsports stay affordable.

I feel lucky to have enjoyed so many good value trips to top ski areas, many with my family. If I were in my 30s now I wouldn’t expect to be able to do anything like that for the next 3 decades.
snow report
Peter S wrote:
Also population growth across Europe is slowing and the proportion and number of younger people is declining. The baby boomers are increasingly falling out of skiing (and no doubt other active sports) and I suspect they are not being replaced in equivalent numbers by the young, for the reasons above. Not a crisis but an inevitable trend.

Does that translate into quieter slopes and less push and shove at the lift queue? rolling eyes
snow report
stanton wrote:
Your all missing the point....

There are far more wintersports tourists (Europe) who visit the the lower lying, less well known cheaper & local areas than the massive higher expensive ski areas....

If these lower areas dry up with snow and they are !!... The current visitors to these areas will have to move up to the higher resorts if they can afford it or just quit the sport ..

Many will not even go to these higher areas as they are far to expensive & they do not want the international vibe ...only local & traditional ..

However, the larger areas are FULL in terms of accommodation & restrictions on building and more Hotels etc ...

What it means in the longterm that these larger ski areas will just get saturated and prices will increase massively with the demand..

Its not a good look for the future...

BTW.. If nature is not doing enough to produce snow & ice .... Take a look at Solden ... They are bulldozing away the Glacier Shocked Shocked

Over on Dutch Forum

https://www.wintersport.nl/nieuws/02/07/2023/rigoreuze-renovatie-van-world-cup-piste-in-solden

Jonge jonge wat een kletskoek weer. (in English: what a load of BS, again...)
snow report
denfinella wrote:
@boarder2020, latitude and height aren't the only factor affecting snowfall though. Germany's winter weather has far more of a continental influence. Not that I'm saying that it is reliable for snow!

When I lived in Germany in the late 80s you could cross country ski during the winter months almost from the gates of Munich. I wonder how much snow they get now?

Certainly around Grenoble we used to get regular snow for long periods in the foothills just a decade or so ago but that doesn't happen now. I would say by the end of this decade pistes below 1500 meters won't be viable and 2000m by 2050 if current trends continue.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
denfinella wrote:

When I lived in Germany in the late 80s you could cross country ski during the winter months almost from the gates of Munich. I wonder how much snow they get now?

Certainly around Grenoble we used to get regular snow for long periods in the foothills just a decade or so ago but that doesn't happen now. I would say by the end of this decade pistes below 1500 meters won't be viable and 2000m by 2050 if current trends continue.

That’s been the case all over the world.

People had always want to live in the most comfortable and/or most productive geographic location. With the changing climate, those desirable locations change too.

Or you can stay in the same location and change your activity to fit the new climate.

I started out doing primarily cross country, but switched to alpine due to disappearing snow on my door step. But the drive to ski man made snow had gotten old now. So it’s time for me to move to where the snow is.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy