Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort for Christimas in France

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there!

Already planning the Christmas trip for this year snowHead
This time I'm going with my wife and another couple, but no idea where to go. I guess most places will already have decent snow at that time of the year. We're thinking about doing December 21st-26th.
I guess France would be nicer as we don't really care about apres-ski, the wives would love a place with good spa/massage options and nice restaurants for the night.

Of the 4 people, 1 is a beginner, so the resort itself doesn't need to be a beginner-focused one(like Alpe d'Huez) but would be nice to have one or two easy blue/green runs that can be accessed directly by a gondola/chairlift from the village, without having to go through more difficult slopes to get there.
Courchevel 1850 seems to check most of the boxes... any tips? Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 6-07-23 10:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That’s early season. Snow is not a guarantee then. If it’s France I’d go to Tignes/Val D’Isere, Paradiski or Val Thorens.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ozsnowfan wrote:
That’s early season. Snow is not a guarantee then. If it’s France I’d go to Tignes/Val D’Isere, Paradiski or Val Thorens.

I guess Courchevel would also be a good option right? I remember 1850 has some easy runs and the more advanced ones have the whole 3 valleys to play around Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
C1850 will be absolutely fine. Often better snow than Val Thorens at that time of year because it's more sheltered from the wind. The genuine ski-in ski-out hotels are pretty pricey though so I guess it depends on how deep your pockets are. Ideally you want one of the ones in the Bellecote/Altiport area for the beginner.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Courchevel 1850 would definitely be good choice, though that might depend on the size of your budget! Given that you have access to high altitude skiing from there, I don’t see any need to head any higher. It’s nice to be below the tree line if it’s cold and windy. Are you looking for a nice hotel with a spa on site? If you are prepared to stay a little lower, over the other side of the 3V the Lodji Hotel in St Martin de Belleville would be a lovely place to stay (also right by the lift). I confess I’m a bit biased as we have a place near St M. We eat at Lodji relatively frequently and it gets good reviews all round. The beginner skiing options are more limited from St M, but on the upside, the village offers a bit more Alpine charm and a lot less “bling”.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Avoriaz might be worth a look too. Short transfer from Geneva, high enough that you'd need another early season like 2016 for what's open to be limited (and even then there was enough open to keep all bar the 'I only ski reds and blacks' or 'I must do at least 3,000km each day' skiers amused), and direct access to greens and blues for the biginner but also loads accessible to the reat of you with your skis on.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@AndreSilva, I was in Tignes last Christmas, and you might not have seen much on Dutch news, but in the UK all the news was about how there's no snow in the Alps. To an extent they were right. Below 1800m was terrible, but above that was just fine.

Tignes and Val d'Isere were therefore absolutely fine despite the poor start to the season, so i'd recommend either of those places for what is a pretty early season trip. If they don't have enough snow, then basically nowhere in France will.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Courchevel 1850 has everything, really, at a high price.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just be concious that christams holidays in France will start on saturday 23rd of december in 2023. In other words, resorts may not be full opened before that date.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I skied in Val Thorens and Courchevel last Christmas and the snow quality was better in Val Thorens as on 23rd December there was heavy rain with a snow/rain limit at about 2500 metres. Therefore Courchevel runs were good higher up but poor just above 1800. Nevertheless last Christmas was particularly poor so I think Courchevel would normally be a reasonable bet for Christmas week but bear in mind it is one of the most expensive places to go.

I would suggest Arc 2000. In Arc 2000 there is a lovely hotel called the Taj i Mah which is ski to and from the door. There are a couple of nice restaurants in Arc 2000 itself and more in Arc 1950 which you can get the gondola to and from all evening. The ski area is varied with skiing for all abilities above and below the treeline.

Montgenevre is also usually good at Christmas. We usually self cater there - I like the Napoleon apartments which have a pool, jacuzzi, steam room, sauna and spa. Le Napoleon is opposite the front de neige in a street with several restaurants and there is a lovely mountain restaurant called Les Terraces. There are also a couple of hotels there. Peak Retreats who we use and I'd recommend list them on their website.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy