Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to work and live in European ski season as an English-only speaker

Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

I'm an Australian looking to work and live in Europe during the ski season either at the end of this year or end of next year. I am hoping to go in my university holidays which are from end of November to end of Feb.

I am an EU citizen, but I don't speak any local languages.

I just have a couple of questions if anyone can help out Smile

-Is it worth going from Nov-Feb as it isn't the whole ski season?
-Where would the best locations be to go? (I have read a lot about going to Morzine, Charmonix and around that area of France.)
-Where would be the best place to look for jobs and accommodation? (Bars, restaurants, hotels, etc.? Would be great if there is somewhere to look for job + accom together but seems that is rare.)

Not fussed on being ski in/out, but just need to be somewhere not too far away from snow, as well as access to area from airport. I am working on a tightish budget, hoping to work while there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to the forum @ToeKnee.

Your lack of languages is going to limit jobs, but conversely EU citizenship is a help. You may want to look at UK tour operators who need English speakers in resort but would welcome the lack of visa hassle. Particularly those operating their own hotels/chalets.

Morzine certainly seems English-dominated so it is a possibility, and is easily accessible from Geneva airport. Chamonix is somewhat more international (lots of languages spoken) so I don't know what the job situation is like. My guess is that at this point you would be best exploring possible employers and be prepared to accept where they send you; if you don't find anything you could choose a resort and then look for local jobs given your citizenship situation.

The biggest UK ski tour operators are probably Crystal, Neilson and Inghams, but there might also be possibility with smaller outfits like Esprit and Le Ski.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If I were you, i'd be buzzing about having an EU citizenship, but that's a separate point.

For areas with high english speaking, i'd take a look at some of the big UK tour operators websites and see what resorts they cover, and then i'd look for companies in those resorts.

If I were putting a list together, i'd be starting with (this is quite France focussed because that's where a lot of english speakers/Brits go):

Morzine
Chamonix
Val d'Isere
Tignes
Les Arcs
La Plagne
Meribel
Courcheval
Val Thorens
Verbier
Zermatt
Wengen
St Anton
Mayrhofen

Check out facebook and try and find seasonaire groups in those resorts, as well as pubs/bars/restaurants/ski hire shops that cater towards english speaker.

Google should turn up a number of results also.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ToeKnee wrote:

I am an EU citizen, but I don't speak any local languages.

You speak English, that's a local language of the EU.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ToeKnee,
Quote:

end of November to end of Feb

Hmmm, that sort of suggests you want to be looking pretty high, e.g. Tignes as most places won't open until the week before xmas.

I'd also suggest it's a bit tricky (despite EU passport) getting a "short" season. I'd expect (although I don't know) that most employers will be looking for at least early-mid april.

BUt the EU passport is a huge bonus and may well overcome that.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As has been stated the most likely jobs with accommodation are through UK TOs, of which there are plenty.
The fact you could only work 'til the end of February could work to your advantage with TOs, as they are keen to dump staff after UK half-term when the season gets quieter. The EU passport is a big plus, too.
You would improve your employment prospects by learning some French, German or Italian, but even in bar-restaurants there are some jobs that are not customer facing and so don't require language skills, providing the rest of the staff speak English.
As to resorts, with you wanting to start late November (is before most resorts open):-
Tignes
Val d'Isere
Zermatt
Cevinia
Val Thorens
Opening early December:-
Rest of the 3 Valleys
Paradiski

My first season I worked at the Round Point bar-restaurant in Meribel (3 Valleys), where we lived in. It is now independent, but back then was part of The Mountain Trading Company, itself owned by TO Mark Warner (3 leads for you there!)

Le Ski have a very good reputation on how they treat their staff. The son of Frosty the Snowman worked for them last season, and Frosty has posted on Snowheads about his time with them - use the search function to find the posts. Despite the fact you're an Aussie and Le Ski are based here in Huddersfield shouldn't be a problem for you, even after Sunday snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Kenzie, MTC and Mark Warner now more or less defunct I think. MW down to one chalet hotel, afaics.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ToeKnee, welcome to snowHeads Very Happy
Many years ago, I worked as a resort rep for an English tour operator in Verbier. The only time I ever spoke French was to my bus driver on the airport run. Since I am (or, rather, was) almost bilingual, I found that singularly depressing, but as others have said, you shouldn't have a problem working for a UK tour operator in one of the large resorts popular with Brits and already mentioned.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
swskier wrote:
If I were putting a list together, i'd be starting with (this is quite France focussed because that's where a lot of english speakers/Brits go):

Courcheval

I think you mean Courchevel. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hurtle, Swiss, eh?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alastair Pink, yes that place too! I've been doing German duolingo now since Feb, so clearly my already dodgy French has got worse Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@Hurtle, Swiss, eh?
What with annual holidays in the Valais as a child, it's true that I have to stop and think how to say 70 and 80. rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle wrote:
under a new name wrote:
@Hurtle, Swiss, eh?
What with annual holidays in the Valais as a child, it's true that I have to stop and think how to say 70 and 80. rolling eyes

Septante et Huitante, naturellement! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alastair Pink, et nonante !
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ToeKnee wrote:
Hello!

Would be great if there is somewhere to look for job + accom together but seems that is rare.!

It does happen in certain resorts - Saalbach, Ischgl etc... - but they will ask for photos with your application...
snow report
Thanks everyone for the replies and warm welcomes!

This has all been extremely useful as I have spent a lot of time googling but couldn't find anything of use until now.

Thank you so much!!!
latest report
Much of the advice so far here concerns France. Seasonal jobs in Austria almost always come with accommodation provided, and due to the post-Covid shortage of hospitality workers and other seasonal workers, conditions and wages have improved noticeably in the last 2 seasons.

That said, "accommodation" can still mean anything from a single room with own bathroom to a room the size of a broom cupboard shared with 3 other workers, one of whom has a shift that finishes at 3 a.m, one whose diet consists entirely of beer, beans and green vegetables, and one who has yet to discover the benefits of soap.
ski holidays
@quinton, much of the emplyment in Chamonix also comes with accom.
snow report
Don't forget your essential soundtrack

http://youtube.com/v/kJTMoM3Btoo
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy