Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer in Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
We're heading off to Chamonix for a week at the start of Sept - our first time to Chamonix (never been in the winter).

We have plenty of ideas for trail running and walking and the other 'usual' tourist activities but does anyone have a recommendation for somewhere to go for open water swimming? We'll be in our campervan and would rather leave it parked up and either walk or use public transport (I believe the public transport system is very good around Cham?)

Could anyone comment on the opportunities for some beginner-intermediate mountain biking and where best to go (Les Houches?)? I know mountain biking is limited and we aren't looking for anything too crazy.

Also thinking about an evening in the QC Terme Spa so would welcome any thoughts on if that's worthwhile?

Any other favourite things to do / see in or around Chamonix in the summer?

Many thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you've not done it before, we did paragliding for the first time in Chamonix June last year, and that was fantastic. Worth a go.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SLB79, Open water swimming:

1) Lac du Passy. About 20-30mins drive back down the motorway towards Geneva. It's a beautiful 1km-long lake with spectacular views of Mt Blanc. Lots of other activities as well - giant inflatable water-based assault course for the kids and big kids, beach, nice running track round the edge etc. Warm - no wetsuit needed.
2) Any of the mountain lakes, by Sept they'll be "warm" in a relative sense. My favourite is the Lac Noir (easiest approach is ski lift up to top of index chair, then hike round the mountain), but the Chesery and Lac Blanc are also good.
3) Chamonix pool has (apparently) just reopened. Olympic size outdoor pool.
4) Hotel Aiguille du Midi (in town, not on the mountain!) has a nice outdoor pool that you're allowed to use if you buy lunch. The AYCE dessert buffet is worth it alone.
5) slightly further afield - Barage d'emosson. Great drive up to the first dam, then hike to the second, swim in a huge lake, and carry on hiking to see the dinosaur footprints. Very overlooked area, much more peaceful than Cham valley.

Easier mountain biking is Les Houches and Le Tour. Really easy stuff is in the valley - along the river all the way between Les Houches and Le Tour. Or bike up to Loriaz refuge on a gravelly road.

Lots of tourist things can be enhanced with a bit of running/hiking - e.g. up the aiguille du midi, back down to the mid station and plan d'aiguille, then run over to Montenvers to see the mer de glace, then run or train down. Similarly on the other side - up Brevent for the views, down to the mid station, run over to Flegere and Lac Blanc, then down to the bottom.

Enjoy - it's an amazing place in summer.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@SLB79, QC Terme doesn’t float my boat! But Termes generally don’t
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you can spare the time, it might be interesting for you to go up the Vetic'Alp to the Emosson Lake. It's just the other side of the border in Switzerland and accessible easily from Chamonix by car and train. You first take a steep funicular, then ride an open small train around the mountain, then a mini-funicular. From there, there are plenty of trails to explore. The views are stunning although for me, the small train ride was the most exciting part.

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@SLB79, you may want to investigate week, etc.-long passes for uplift? I think there's somethings on offer.

These https://www.montblancnaturalresort.com/fr/montblanc-multipass
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just in case you're not aware, all the indoor and some of the outdoor water will mandate budgy smugglers Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Val Desire wrote:
Just in case you're not aware, all the indoor and some of the outdoor water will mandate budgy smugglers Shocked

Purchased in advance by the OH in anticipation of using the new outdoor pool. Pics look amazing.

We arrive in Chamonix on Saturday for 16 nights and I can’t bloody wait!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Val Desire, must confess I don't recall wearing mine last time the outdoor pool was open ... Shocked Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is all so helpful, thanks everyone - I am so excited to go! We're there for the last couple of days of the UTMB trail running world champs (not running it!), so I'm expecting it to be quite busy!

@snowdave that's a great list of options, much appreciated!

@underanewname we don't usually do spas, but I suspect it will be a welcome recovery from all of the running I'm planning - so many trails to explore!

@laforet that looks a perfect option - I haven't seen that come up in my research, but it's now on the list!

@underanewname thanks for the link - just trying to weight up what to do and whether it will be worth it but I suspect its definitely good to have for when the legs are tired

@Val Desire - we were in Alpe D'Huez last summer and the indoor pool had a sign on the front desk which said "Gentlemen, please have your trunks ready for inspection" Laughing . My husband had to buy a pair from a vending machine...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowdave wrote:
@SLB79, Open water swimming:

1) Lac du Passy. About 20-30mins drive back down the motorway towards Geneva. It's a beautiful 1km-long lake with spectacular views of Mt Blanc. Lots of other activities as well - giant inflatable water-based assault course for the kids and big kids, beach, nice running track round the edge etc. Warm - no wetsuit needed.
2) Any of the mountain lakes, by Sept they'll be "warm" in a relative sense. My favourite is the Lac Noir (easiest approach is ski lift up to top of index chair, then hike round the mountain), but the Chesery and Lac Blanc are also good.
3) Chamonix pool has (apparently) just reopened. Olympic size outdoor pool.
4) Hotel Aiguille du Midi (in town, not on the mountain!) has a nice outdoor pool that you're allowed to use if you buy lunch. The AYCE dessert buffet is worth it alone.
5) slightly further afield - Barage d'emosson. Great drive up to the first dam, then hike to the second, swim in a huge lake, and carry on hiking to see the dinosaur footprints. Very overlooked area, much more peaceful than Cham valley.

Easier mountain biking is Les Houches and Le Tour. Really easy stuff is in the valley - along the river all the way between Les Houches and Le Tour. Or bike up to Loriaz refuge on a gravelly road.

Lots of tourist things can be enhanced with a bit of running/hiking - e.g. up the aiguille du midi, back down to the mid station and plan d'aiguille, then run over to Montenvers to see the mer de glace, then run or train down. Similarly on the other side - up Brevent for the views, down to the mid station, run over to Flegere and Lac Blanc, then down to the bottom.

Enjoy - it's an amazing place in summer.

I'd second all of the suggestions above (except the running bit), with two riders:

Hotel Aiguille du Midi is in Bosson not Chamonix (which is easy enough to get to mind you). I suspect when @snowdave said 'town' he was drawing the distinction between in the valley, not up the hill (as the name kind of suggests), but to me it read as suggesting it was in Chx centre, which it isn't. Worth the bus ride though.

Swimming in the mountain lacs: My wife had comms recently stating that swimming in the lacs was banned, Lac Blanc specifically was mentioned. I'm not sure if this is a new thing, or an old thing that everyone just ignores, but it is a thing. Anyone know any more on this?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
midgetbiker wrote:

Swimming in the mountain lacs: My wife had comms recently stating that swimming in the lacs was banned, Lac Blanc specifically was mentioned. I'm not sure if this is a new thing, or an old thing that everyone just ignores, but it is a thing. Anyone know any more on this?

Banned in lac Blanc, becuase it's too busy and the dumber end of tourists were making too big a mess. Other lakes ok AFAIK. And yes there are authourties up their checking most days
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Idris, as usual then, some go too far and act like muppets, so then everyone suffers.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy