Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Goggles

Poster: A snowHead
I'm on the lookout for new goggles for next year...
And I'm kind of blinded by what's available! I've looked at the usual suspects (Smith, Oakley, POC, Julbo etc) but now with cookies'n'all I'm getting ads for Melon Optics, Sun God, Messy Weekend. All claim to be the very best.
So any recommendations for the best? What I'd like is great optics, preferably in both low and bright light so interchangeable lens is probably best, and easy fit/match with a matt black Casco helmet...
As I'm in the middle of nowhere I'll probably have to buy off t'internet as I'm not driving 2.5 hours each way to my nearest ski shop!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ones that fit your head and helmet ... though I appreciate that's not much help.

Wait and buy in resort?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:

Wait and buy in resort?

My other half is buying them for my birthday, and besides, I've always found somewhat limited choice in resort unless it's somewhere big; we're going to Sankt Gallenkirch next January.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
An ad blocking browser with a cookie auto delete plugin (Chrome & Cookie AutoDelete) solves that one in a blink. Be careful using tracking search engines like google also.

I was looking for some goggles recently for an upcoming trip to the other hemisphere. I think it's a bit early yet, in that lots of things seem out of stock. If you're looking for discounts, it's a good time. But if you're paying full retail, unless they have precisely what you want, you may be better waiting until the next seasons' stuff arrives. I'm not sure how UK prices compare with elsewhere post Brexit.

I've used a lot of brands - I used to get the things for free - but have never really noticed much difference in terms of performance or fit. They all work. I'm a massive photochromic fan though - I seldom see people changing lenses in the real world. Anyway, that one thing narrows my choices down to something more manageable at least.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the correct answer is a visor helmet
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Leonard Smalls, hmmm, you may have to rely on free returns then.

We like our Smith Chromapop lenses and although we have light and dark versions, it's rare that we change them during the day. We almost invariably have packs with us.

That said, we both acquired Serengeti sunglasses fairly recently which have very fast Cat 2-3 photochromic lenses. You'd want probs 2-4 for skiing but these things are quite remarkable. You really don't notice the change, just that their range of use is much wider than ordinary lenses. They don't make ski goggles I don't think though!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
@Leonard Smalls, hmmm, you may have to rely on free returns then.

We like our Smith Chromapop lenses and although we have light and dark versions, it's rare that we change them during the day. We almost invariably have packs with us.

That said, we both acquired Serengeti sunglasses fairly recently which have very fast Cat 2-3 photochromic lenses. You'd want probs 2-4 for skiing but these things are quite remarkable. You really don't notice the change, just that their range of use is much wider than ordinary lenses. They don't make ski goggles I don't think though!

I'm tempted by Smith 4D, though whether they're as good as reviews say they are is a different matter...
My last pair of goggles were Bolle photochromic (who I think also make Serengeti) - they were quite good but after 3 seasons somehow acquired a weird aberration that meant I could barely see out of the right hand side!
But I like the idea of interchangeable lenses, simply because when it inevitably dies, you can replace it and not just chuck frame and strap into a skip.
Which is where SunGod are good - decent lenses, everything replaceable. Messy Weekend also have an attempt at environmental consciousness not attempted by the bigger brands.

Choices! (BTW, the answer for me isn't visor helmet... I'm happy with my Casco and after seeing the trouble my mate had last year with snow filling his visor, I'll stick with separate goggles and helmets!)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Leonard Smalls, we have the I/O Mags. The XLs, maybe the 4Ds were too big for our helmets/faces.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
Ones that fit your head and helmet ... though I appreciate that's not much help.

Wait and buy in resort?
+1
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just to confuse you even further, here are a few goggle links ...

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-ski-goggles

https://www.treelinereview.com/gearreviews/best-ski-goggles

https://blisterreview.com/category/gear-reviews/outerwear/goggles

https://www.divein.com/snow/ski-goggles/
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I vote Smith chromapop though I run only a midpriced frame that a) comes with 2 chromapop lenses as std and b) is usually available at a significant discount for previous season colourways.

Changing lenses is a bit of a bug on them though so I actually have 2 frames.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anon
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a set of Panda goggles which come with two different colours of magnetic lenses. Love them.

The lenses are easy to change, strap is easy to adjust and goes small enough for my tiny head, and the elastic on the strap / actual lenses seem durable too (so far used for approx 16 weeks skiing over 3 seasons).

But I agree that in reality the “best” goggles are those that fit your face and helmet (assuming you use one, but that’s covered in 10000000 other threads).

BTW I have no connection with Panda other than being a (happy) customer.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Leonard Smalls, Mr P and I are big fans of the Anon M2 (men's) and WM1 (women's versions). They have magnetic lenses and you can literally change them without even lifting the googles off your face. I've just looked on their website and their prices are pretty eyewatering though I bought a sale pair earlier this year for €135 (to replace the first incarnation of the Women's ones which I'd owned since 2015!). The only reason for replacement was the need to replace lenses that were at least 5 years old and starting to degrade with water ingress between the double lenses. It was only £10 more expensive to buy a whole new pair in the sales. So-if their longevity is anything to go by, then they are good value.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My friend and I had real problems with the m2 anon, and wouldn't recommend them for that reason . The lenses are very good , but they have some bad design flaws.
snow conditions
+1 on the goggles fitting your head and helmet - I take my helmet to the shop to make sure.

Depends what is meant by ‘best’. I bought into some hype and bought some expensive goggles, but after a couple of seasons they got scratched and the foam that touched my face decomposed into an unsatisfactory stickiness, probably due to sunscreen. I swore never again. I went for Decathlon cheapest photochromic on the grounds that whatever they might be, at least when they inevitably got damaged or if the sunscreen thing happened again, I wouldn’t care all that much. In the shop they fitted with the helmet well and I tried inside lighting and outside before buying. That was a couple of seasons ago, and they work satisfactorily under varying light conditions and I’d do it again. So, ‘best’ to meet my criteria, until I find something ‘better’.
ski holidays
All I can tell you is that my wife and I love our flight decks.

Big field of view, decent lenses. Got them in two shades (pink and green) for sun/cloud.

Only wrinkle with them is that changing the lenses is not really a side of piste job as it is a tad fiddly.
snow report
Oakley prism here, rose coloured and they work well in brightlight as well as those foggy days.
snow report
@Fat George, "they got scratched"

That's what happens when you let them out for a pee in the dark.

https://gogglesoc.com/ not just great for your own goggles but great xmas pressies too (no affiliation). Also, keep your goggles in your helmet?
snow report
I noticed that sportpursuit have Oakley goggles on sale now for between 40 and 50% off.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Fat George, "..sock.. ..in helmet..”

I know and do that stuff. Wouldn’t have helped with the sunscreen thing. In my experience, no matter how careful you are, things get scratched, eventually. Like with my new car? Although a sock for a car would be a thing to see.
latest report
@Fat George, yeah not 100% avoidable. Sunscreen problem a bit weird.
snow report
There's not a large difference in the lens performance (in regard to materials and how coating is applied) between most of them. All claim unique x,y,z properties but from the same manufacturing methods essentially, making a fairly free choice from that aspect.

Really cheap lens often can't match the accredited brands in lens performance though.

I've used Adidas extensively, and can say the frame and foam materials seem to be extremely resistant over time to decay/fault etc. I also note that the military use them, which may give added credence to that longevity.

Light Rose tint covers a very wide range of lighting conditions in my experience, yellow holds notable advantage in very low contrast conditions if that area of performance is most valuable to the OP.

I dont feel you'd go far wrong in pure optical performance and filtering with most of the notable brands. Obviously helpful if they fit face and other hardware, and likely to pull you into one type.

Cost is generally out of proportion to any performance claims, especially for the real premium named brands, but that's the way of a commercial world Very Happy
snow report
irishz wrote:
All I can tell you is that my wife and I love our flight decks.

Big field of view, decent lenses. Got them in two shades (pink and green) for sun/cloud.

Only wrinkle with them is that changing the lenses is not really a side of piste job as it is a tad fiddly.

Agree!
Love my Flight Decks, I got it 3 seasons ago and absolutely love it, especially the field of view and they look great! Usually, when I need to change the lenses, I just go inside a hut or something like that, unless it's not too cold to take my gloves out on the slopes Laughing
snow report
I love my Decathalon ones the best.
They were just £40 quid when I bought them and they do the job excellent.
I have to wear varifocals underneath.

They look great and work well, the only sort of problem is the big WEDZE on the strap.
But I don't care.

@under a new name, +1 for Serengetti shades, they were the best, especially with the pink lenses.
But my eyeballs need the varifocals now Cool Shocked Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
DrLawn wrote:
... They look great and work well, the only sort of problem is the big WEDZE on the strap. But I don't care. ...
Or wear strap under helmet. It even used to be a fashion thing.

I have no idea what brand goggles people I ride with use. I mean, there are a lot of brands (many advertising next season's toys here), but I doubt anyone knows which are which. Well aside from 13 year old lads maybe?
snow report
Cheers Phil, I'll perhaps look out for an outragous Oakley strap.
But there is plenty of milage left in this one.
I dont think you have "Decathlon" (thats where the Wedze Brand comes from) shops in North America but its the cheapest place to buy ski gear over here, but the quality is usually spot on.

Not long to winter now!
latest report
@ski3, Adidas use Zeiss lenses.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have been a bit of an Oakley tart for many many years, still got a retro carbon pair I bought in Vail in the 90s. Have just replaced my goggles using the 'get em half price out of season' philosophy and have gone for a pair of Anon M4s.. Have to admit, I'm completely blown away by them up to now..
latest report
You pays your money and takes your pick. There's no answer as to which are best. If you're going for a premium brand, then pick a good fit with a lense shade that does what you want in a colour that you like. Which brand after that matters not. I and half of my family prefer POC, my wife and the other half swear by Oakley Prism. Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy