Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Northern Italy for beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, please can you help! I don't know if the place we are looking for even exists! Puzzled We are a beginner level couple looking for a resort in northern Italy that's easy to get to on public transport, is relatively quiet and has a little town to stay in with a couple of bars and cafes. Everywhere seems to be too difficult to get to or there is no little town to entertain us if we decide to give up early one day. We stayed in Aosta in January and are after something similar. Thank you for any suggestions! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bardonecchia? It’s easy to get to, very easy place to be. Little & quiet when we went. Not been to aosta so can’t compare & may be way off the mark Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Angbooks, welcome to snowheads. How do you define public transport? If you're happy to fly then choose an airport and choose a resort, then look if there are bus services - many resorts will be so served. Passo Tonale is a great beginner resort, and is accessible from Verona airport, not sure about the transport links

In the Aosta vally, I'm a big fan of Courmayeur - the town is beautiful, and I know there are regular buses from Milan airports, and I thikn there MAY be a bus from Geneva - if not then you can get a bus to chamonix and change for Courmayeur.

If you are travelling by train it's a little more difficult but not hugely so - there's a direct train from Paris to Milan which stops near Bardonecchia and Sestriere, or you can get off at Turin and get a bus / train up the Aosta valley. Or, get a train from Paris to Chamonix and then a bus through the tunnel to Courmayeur
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi @Angbooks, I agree that Aosta valley is a good option. Trains from Turin then public buses to head further around the valley. You will already have some familiarity if you have stayed in Aosta itself - and presumably skied Pila? I'd caution against Courmayeur if you want beginner-friendly skiing as it's a little more challenging in that respect. Though the town itself will definitely tick your box for cafes and bars and generally being rather chic. So maybe La Thuile? Bars and cafes, tick. Beginner-friendly, tick. Public buses to get there, tick.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When you say northern Italy, do you mean anywhere in the Italian Alps, or do you mean the part closest to the UK? Likewise, in relation to public transport do you mean easy access from the UK or from an airport?

Aosta is hard to beat for your requirements in my opinion. Courmayeur or Bormio could work, though neither town is as interesting as Aosta, and neither ski area is as good for beginners as Pila.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all for the quick replies, I'll check out your suggestions Very Happy . Maybe I struck gold the first time by skiing Pila! Transport wise, thinking to fly in to Turin, Milan etc and then bus/train from there. Went to the south tyrol region in summer and loved it, but can't replicate, as far as I can see, the ease of getting to Aosta valley.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are a number of resorts near Oulx in Italy which is accessible via direct train from Paris. 25min taxi from Oulx, just over the border in France there is Montgenevre which has a good learner area.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Madesimo, Lombardy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Angbooks, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

So far Alleghe hasn't been mentioned, but it's a very nice town by the side of a lake with its own ski area called Civetta. It's well liked by many sHs, in fact there is a regular sHs bash organised by admin that stays there, the preBirthday Bash Warm Up Week. This season's preBBWUW isn't yet bookable, but if you wanted to join it when it becomes available you'd be very welcome. Alternatively you could of course go to Alleghe independently at any time. Alleghe is quite convenient to get to, as most people fly into Venice Marco Polo (or Venice Treviso) airports, from which there is a subsidised (if you are staying in Alleghe accommodation) coach transfer to Alleghe that takes about 2½ hours. Many people have a day either at the beginning or end of their week sightseeing in Venice. Smile

On the preBBWUW we stay at the excellent Sporthotel Europa. The staff there are very friendly and the food is extremely good. The hotel runs a non-stop minivan shuttle service from the hotel up to the base station of the gondola in the morning, and back from there in the afternoon. If you should ever want to walk it it's less than 10 mins walk. So if you should go to Alleghe independently then the Sporthotel Europa is a great place to stay, but of course other hotels/apartment accommodation are available.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy