Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Straight to parallel without plough?

Poster: A snowHead
Mike Pow wrote:

I find it fascinating that you feel that my method of teaching is inferior, a short cut, a dis-service in the long term to my students

That is not what I wrote...
I am sure you can jump straight to teaching parallel.

However (in my opinion):
i) Snow plough remains an essential skiing skill. So I prefer to start there.
ii) Jumping straight to parallel requires perfect flat terrain and snow (rarely available)

Ultimately a good teacher should always be adaptable (to learners need & environment) rather than using the same techniques religiously.
While I start with a plough some learners, especially kids, obviously progress much faster than others.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 29-06-23 10:39; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
uann wrote:
... Hasn't this all not been hashed to death before?
Reference provided above. I dare say that could be said of much discussed in these pages. It passes the time.

uann wrote:
... fair point on why it's taught, my point just that it's a very helpful get out of jail (if not free) card.
In terms of get out of jail....

(a) snowboarders don't need that crutch, perhaps it's worth skiers developing a similar level of skill?
(b) you shouldn't be in crust, but it's hard to keep your weight forward enough if you try to plough that.
(c) it's quite difficult to plough rockered skis in a tracked-out forest run out.
(d) you can stop way quicker with the entire edges of both skis (a hockey stop) than you can with a wedge.

Of course whatever technique people want to use is up to them, but that needs to work both ways.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So the argument is that teaching snowplough is primarily done because it allows group teaching - which makes it cheaper?

And that after learning to plough you have to unlearn it? Which takes time?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@phil_w, if the track isn't wide enough to go full sideways? (Aren't boards a bit shorter?)

Anywaay it's usually ice, not crust (it gets well skied).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 29-06-23 11:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
So 1 to 1 the plough isn't essential. I can get that and also think that it might be very harmful having people in groups or self teaching attempting to go straight to parallel which effectively would mean hefting themselves round between alternate traverse positions and crude zig zagging. Now the edging and balance used in this may not be totally redundant but surely the best blend is everything including the plough in moderation.

For groups, absolutely

For individuals, I prefer the 'straight to parallel' method
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Strings in bows comes to my mind. If the situation warrants a plough then use it.
I can't imagine any instructor anywhere in the world denigrating the use of the plough.
One aspect that hasn't been touched on is the age of beginners. A child will attempt to do anything suggested to them.
An adult beginner can be so seized with fear that the only route for development is a wide-ish stance and a means of preventing the ski from moving at all.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

I find it fascinating that you feel that my method of teaching is inferior, a short cut, a dis-service in the long term to my students

That is not what I wrote...

This is what you wrote

"snow-plough (or a stem)...is an essential life-skill for skiing

Going straight to parallel might sound like a fast track learning curve.
However it requires perfect flat terrain and good snow - which aren't always available.
Plus some of the basic skills will be missed.

As I see it snow plough is an essential skill for skiing rather than a "beginner turn".
You certainly can skip straight to parallel (*if* you have a perfectly flat terrain) but it is not necessarily a short cut longer-term."

My interpretation of the above is if you don't teach the 'essential' snow plough method first and foremost then the student is not being taught basic skills; is using a short cut; and will hinder long term development

Quote:
Ultimately a good teacher should always be adaptable (to learners need & environment) rather than using the same techniques religiously.
While I start with a plough some learners, especially kids, obviously progress much faster than others.

Surely you're contradicting yourself there

You always start with the snow plough regardless of age, athletic ability, terrain or snow conditions

I've taught 'straight to parallel' on terrain which is not perfectly flat (your word) with poor snow conditions
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Layne wrote:
So the argument is that teaching snowplough is primarily done because it allows group teaching - which makes it cheaper?

And that after learning to plough you have to unlearn it? Which takes time?

That's been my experience

Both as a student and as an instructor
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Layne wrote:
Not in my opinion, no. But I think it's important to define what people mean when they talk about a snowplough. A good snowplough is not a very wide wedge stance, and allows the skier to have a bit of extra stability at slow speed so they can develop the ability to make turns by rotating their skis. It's not a very wide position stance width, where the edges are jammed in to the snow to act as a braking force and the skier is encouraged to use an ever wider distance between their skis (often by pushing the outside ski markedly sideways at the beginning of the turn) as the terrain gets steeper. IMO that's a bad snowplough, which sadly I see being performed (and taught) all too often.

A good snowplough forms a perfectly natural progression to parallel skiing. A bad snowplough doesn't.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
phil_w wrote:
(a) snowboarders don't need that crutch, perhaps it's worth skiers developing a similar level of skill?
I see countless snowboarders habitually kick their back foot around as they initiate the turn, including on the mildest of terrain. I'd consider that the equivalent of a big sideways push of the skis, perhaps developed from a poorly implemented snowplough. It's a different kind of crutch, but a crutch nonetheless.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
Layne wrote:
Not in my opinion, no. But I think it's important to define what people mean when they talk about a snowplough. A good snowplough is not a very wide wedge stance, and allows the skier to have a bit of extra stability at slow speed so they can develop the ability to make turns by rotating their skis. It's not a very wide position stance width, where the edges are jammed in to the snow to act as a braking force and the skier is encouraged to use an ever wider distance between their skis (often by pushing the outside ski markedly sideways at the beginning of the turn) as the terrain gets steeper. IMO that's a bad snowplough, which sadly I see being performed (and taught) all too often.

A good snowplough forms a perfectly natural progression to parallel skiing. A bad snowplough doesn't.

100%

A gliding wedge turn is a joy to watch, and also very difficult to perform

Poor boot fit; the wrong type of ski; and biomechanics (especially in adults) combined with poor teaching too often results in a bad snow plough

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 29-06-23 11:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike Pow wrote:

Surely you're contradicting yourself there

Not at all...
While I will always start with a snow-plough some learners will progress to parallel turns much faster (hence the need to be adaptable).

In particular *some* little kids on short skis & flat terrain often end up skiing parallel straight away.
Less athletic adults more generally spend much longer at the plough and plough-parallel stages.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 29-06-23 11:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:

This exactly.

A good plough can be developed naturally into a parallel turn.
While simultaneously acquiring the basics (such as posture and balance over the outside ski).

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 29-06-23 11:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow wrote:
100%

Poor boot fit, biomechanics (especially in adults), combined with poor teaching too often results in a bad snow plough
I haven't taught many 'never-evers' but one does stand out as making amazing progress from snowplough to basic parallel turns. She was a personal trainer, so fit and agile, but perhaps more importantly she was a former classically trained dancer so had amazing proprioception and biomechanics control. Within 20 turns she was moving from snowplough to plough parallel on the lesson slope at Hemel, and within an hour making accurate parallel turns on the main slope.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike Pow wrote:
A gliding wedge turn is a joy to watch, and also very difficult to perform
We run some clinics at Hemel called 'building blocks' which require experienced recreational skiers to focus closely on the fundamental skiing skills, sometimes using a plough, or gliding wedge as you cal it, to address weaknesses in their performance skiing. I think it's an incredibly powerful learning tool. If their timing, movements, balance and feel are good enough to perform a good gliding wedge it can transform their parallel turns. You can then investigate changing the blend of steering elements in their performance skiing by varying the kind of plough turn they make. Key to making them versatile, all-mountain skiers.
latest report
Mmmm... now, as a non-instructor, I'm getting a little confused.... between a good snowplough and a bad snowplough...

But I think this may be an expert/instructor discussion that is too detailed for me.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
... I see countless snowboarders habitually kick their back foot around as they initiate the turn, including on the mildest of terrain. I'd consider that the equivalent of a big sideways push of the skis, perhaps developed from a poorly implemented snowplough. It's a different kind of crutch, but a crutch nonetheless.
I see a lot of that too, albeit obviously not from experts. The analogy was intended to point out the obvious truth that a snowplough is not "essential", as was being claimed here.

On your point, I'm not suggesting that some people use crutches - obviously they do.
I'm questioning instead that teaching those borders to kick their back foot around better would somehow make them stop doing it that I find unlikely.

Any tuition relating to balance (on or off a snowboard) may help, but practising the very bad habit you're trying to get rid of... seems counter intuitive to me.
snow conditions
Practicing a good Snowplough is not the same as practising a bad snowplough surely. It's the latter getting ingrained then used as a fits all solution that is the problem. Not the concept of a good snowplough.

Of course if all instructors can't be trusted to reliably teach the good sp ( or more likely students add their own bad practices to it outside of lessons) then there is a problem.
snow report
phil_w wrote:
... but practising the very bad habit you're trying to get rid of... seems counter intuitive to me.
Agreed, if what you're practising is a bad habit. A well performed snowplough is not a bad habit, but an excellent way to develop the foundation skills which will underpin all the skiing that a skier will do. A snowplough which is learned or taught incorrectly can easily lead to bad habits, in exactly the same way that badly learned or taught parallel turns can lead to bad habits.
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Of course if all instructors can't be trusted to reliably teach the good sp ( or more likely students add their own bad practices to it outside of lessons) then there is a problem.
Indeed, but do you think those instructors who don't teach a good snowplough do a bang-up brilliant job of teaching class-leading parallel turns?

For me the frequent debate about the utility of teaching snowplough turns is actually a debate about the quality of teaching per se.
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
Mmmm... now, as a non-instructor, I'm getting a little confused.... between a good snowplough and a bad snowplough...

But I think this may be an expert/instructor discussion that is too detailed for me.

A good snow plough looks as smooth as a stealth bomber

A bad snow plough looks like a supermarket trolley with a wonky wheel
ski holidays
Quote:

For me the frequent debate about the utility of teaching snowplough turns is actually a debate about the quality of teaching per se.

This!
latest report
Quote:

looks like a supermarket trolley with a wonky wheel

Hey, that's our [ex]PM you're talking about wink
snow report
IMO. As the Snowplough is so useful, you either:

1. Teach the Parallel Turn straight away - and when that is ingrained to a reasonable level, teach the Plough.

2. Initially teach the Plough and then morph seamlessly from that into the parallel.

I think a case can be made for each approach....but either way, the Plough can (and should?) be taught.
snow conditions
phil_w wrote:

Surely the snowboard equivalent of a snow-plough is side slipping?
ski holidays
@Haggis_Trap, naw, it’s sitting down in a pack on the wrong side of a blind summit
ski holidays
You can side slip on skis
ski holidays
Nah, The poles are the crutch. Snowboard equivalent is the unnecessarily long traverse
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mike Pow, interestingly, having not been taught it, when you watch the day 3 video, you can see Gina is creating a small snowplough at the start of every turn
ski holidays
swskier wrote:
@Mike Pow, interestingly, having not been taught it, when you watch the day 3 video, you can see Gina is creating a small snowplough at the start of every turn

At times, and on certain parts of the slope, yes

Unfortunately in times of stress our DNA is pre-programmed to make us get small - to protect the vital organs; shy away from the perceived danger - put us in the back seat; and to try to slow things down - using a small, gliding wedge shape at the start of the turn to control acceleration, and in her mind help with direction change

Ironically being small, back, and pushing that downhill ski away from her and putting unnecessary balance on the uphill ski will actually make her go faster with less control

Once she/anyone realises that the 'perceived threat' isn't that bad, then balancing more on the downhill ski and accepting the acceleration at the start of the turn when both skis are in the fall line will enable her/anyone to go through that phase quicker, make the direction change quicker through pivoting/steering both skis, and use the movement of completing the arc of the turn going back uphill as the primary mechanism for speed control

That's why I don't feel the need to teach the snow plough

It's there

It's inbuilt in our DNA unfortunately

We don't need to emphasise it otherwise it will be the go to move when things get more challenging

Whilst you can see a small plough / stemming develop at times, the crucial thing is the downhill edge of the uphill ski is not digging into the snow impeding both skis to get across the fall line

An all too common sight when fear meets poor snow plough technique/instruction

I've taught both methods and the 'straight to parallel' works better for the students I teach

When I have new students who've been taught the snow plough from the start, my biggest challenge is to get rid of the mindset that stemming the downhill leg so that it gets on edge and gripping the slope with the downhill edge of the uphill ski will provide more control in the turn

What actually happens is the student gets fixed in a position in a state of semi-control (especially on steeper terrain) where they accelerate faster that they want to and eat up the width of the piste way faster than they want to

Then it's normally a combination of upper body rotation, skidding, and leading with the uphill ski that helps them finish off the turn enough to feel comfortable to make the next turn in the opposite direction

For those who don't really correct this but are comfortable with acceleration and speed this manifests itself as the 'Matador Turn'

The uphill ski leads the turn
The downhill knee folds in to sit behind the uphill knee
The hip opens up to allow both skis to skid around the corner with the skis facing across the slope and the upper body anywhere between 45 and 90 degrees to the skis
Then the skier 'parks & rides' holding that position as they eat up the width of the slope in a fairly straight, edged traverse
Before doing a further skid /hockey stop to scrub off the required speed to enable them to make a turn in the opposite direction

Skiers will spend their whole day/holiday/ski life repeating these movement patterns wondering why they get absolutely shattered on / during each run; and why transitioning to more difficult terrain and/or snow conditions sees them on their backside more than on their feet

There's a reason why huge ski circuses with kms of blue and gentle red pisted runs are so popular
snow report
It still scares me when I feck up a turn in difficult terrain and end up rocketing across the slope so I can empathise with locked in ploughers even if they are just locking in a negative cycle of moves.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy