Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing during Peak Seasons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone Very Happy ,

I am hoping to get some ski resorts suggestions in the Alps during peak seasons. I have never skied in the Alps during peak seasons and have no idea how crowded it gets.

I'm planning two ski trips for two, one on christmas 2023(23-31/12) and the other on feb 2024 (10-20/2).
Unfortunately, the dates cannot be compromised. I'm hoping to make the best out of it.

Here are some criterias:
-I'm traveling from south east asia (HKG), so would be coming in from international airports.
-hoping to get at least 6-7 days on the slopes
-I guess we are advanced skiers, we have been to 3V, Zermatt, Mongenevre, serre chevalier, Alpe d'Huez and were generally comfortable skiing all the piste slopes
-I've already bought air tickets to Munich for Christmas
-we just ski and do not go to bars
-we do not drive, and private transfer is out of my budget. So I have to rely on public transport
-prefer hotels, but apartment is okay too if it's a good deal
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Xmas isn't soo busy. Loads of resorts close enough to Munchen airport to get the train. We were in Kirchberg/Kitzbühel over xmas and new year 23/23, we had a great time
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to Snowheads @littebutter283. The best way to stick to a modest budget will be to find a resort with good train links from Munich (you'll get lots of suggestions here) and stay in an apartment. You can make yourself excellent meals if there's a local shop and sample a range of local restaurants.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You might find this thread useful:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165039&highlight=

It's not talking peak times, but a very similar scenario to yours aside from that.

My suggestions would be the same, from Munich, train to the Zillertal. A number of resorts along the valley included in the lift pass, easy access from Munich via train. It would be 2 changes:
Airport -> Munich Ost
Munich Ost -> Jenbach
Jenbach -> which ever village on the Zillertal you choose.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi,

thank you very much for the suggestions.
I was originally considering St.Anton for obvious reasons (size, interconnectivity, snow..) and havn't looked at Zilltertal. Upon some searching the price seems to be pretty similar,
in your opinion what would be the advantages of Zilltertal over Ski Arlberg?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@littebutter283, I haven't skied St Anton so couldn't compare the two.

If it makes any difference, it takes about 1hr less to go to Mayrhofen for example then it does St Anton on the train.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I enjoy skiing both areas. I only ski on piste and bashed ski routes. For off piste skiing Arlberg is automatically a better choice although Christmas might be too soon for that.
Arlberg is more challenging, on piste, with livelier apres ski. Also bigger and more diverse. You can leave St. Anton early morning and ski Lech and Warth, returning by skis or staying for apres in Lech and returning by an hourly 5€ bus.
In Zillertal, Mayrhofen is the famous one but Zell am Zeller has the more interesting and challenging stuff. They are superbly connected by train and bus, free with the ski pass
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I guess one thing to point out about the Zillertal, is it gives you access to the glacier at Hintertux if it's a poor start to the season snow wise. Likely to be busy if that's the case as lots will go up there, but it's something you don't get at St Anton.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been to Sankt Anton and the Zillertal. The prices are anything but comparable. The Arlberg is considerably more expensive like for like than the zillertal. From München you also have the ski welt,
what kind of skier are you?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mother hucker wrote:
I've been to Sankt Anton and the Zillertal. The prices are anything but comparable. The Arlberg is considerably more expensive like for like than the zillertal. From München you also have the ski welt,
what kind of skier are you?

I was just searching online, and for both areas, hotels on the cheaper end are around 230 euros a night, ski pass for 7 days are around 360 euros. Are there any other costs that makes arlberg considerably more expensive?

I'm a skier who just mainly ski on piste and I woud like challange myself and improve on steeper terrain and moguls.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
littebutter283 wrote:

I'm a skier who just mainly ski on piste and I woud like challange myself and improve on steeper terrain and moguls.

Definitely Arlberg then.
You will LOVE black piste Kandahar, so comfortable in the morning when bashed and a bit frozen, so fun at lunch time when the moguls challenge every turn you make and so intense in the afternoon when they make you feel all your quad fibers are tensed to the limit.
You'll also find blue pistes going between the trees and scenic ski routes.
I reckon drinks etc. prices are more expensive above St. Anton and in the village compared to Zillertal (Mayrhofen's Harakiri apres is anything but cheap) but they also have decent options for dinners.
Search the Arlberg forum for pistes and dining tips, and feel free to ask for more when the season will start.
Regarding accommodation, only search through the local website and not Booking etc.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@littebutter283, what you get for that 230€ will differ greatly though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mother hucker, be it as it may, if what counts is the 9 to 17 experience and not the hotel options, which one is the more challenging and interesting option for a keen skier?
(I think cheaper hotels and options can be found BTW)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@drporat, 100% The Arlberg is a better ski area for someone who likes challenging skiing. The OP is with family and maybe the family would like a pool/Spa for the evenings good quality half board and not really be so interested in the krazy kangaroo. I know from nooking holidays for my family the Arlberg is considerably more expensive that the rest of Österreich excluding Ischgl.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy