Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites ski safari rifugios?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any rifugio recommendations for a self-organised Dolomites (on piste) ski safari in January? Anyone stayed anywhere nice with good skiing out the front door - and if poss not too expensive?!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@laraichean, I've not stayed in any refugios, but I know of two that have as you say skiing out the front door. The first is the Rifugio Averau at the top of the Cinque Torri ski area (a lovely area with stunning scenery and is usually uncrowded). I have eaten in the restaurant there and the food is excellent. The second is the nearby Rifugio Lagazuoi at the top of the cable car that goes from Passo Falzarego up to to the Lagazuoi mountain. There'll be great views from the top, and staying there you'll be able to beat all the crowds who later in the day come up to do the Hidden Valley run. Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ideas here

https://www.fall-line.co.uk/type-1-touring/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've stayed in the Scoiattoli rifugio a few times at the Cinque Torri during the summer and found it a very nice place to stay ( I go for the climbing rather than skiing). There is a piste straight out of the front door and a lift leading up to it. Most of the other huts I've used such as the Fonda Savio are not near ski areas, but they all seem very similar. Basic but nice bunk rooms and dormitories. And good food.

There are a number of more luxurious looking huttes in the Seceda area above St Ulrich that serve that ski area.

Some of the huttes are privately owned and some the CAI. It may be useful to join the club for the discounts, or perhaps the Autrian Alpine Club or BMC to get their insurance and discounts as well. Nevertheless most mountain huts are not expensive.

I suggest bringing a sheet sleeping bag with you. I use a silk one that packs so small it goes into my pocket.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last March we stayed at Rifugio Fedaia (for early start on the Marmolada) and Rifugio Lagazuoi (book the barrel sauna outside) (for early run down Hidden Valley/breakfast or lunch at Scotonis) - spectacular sunset and nice food. At Lagazuoi you get a token for hot water in the showers - lasts long enough for a decent shower. Our group of six shared a dormitory. In 2018 stayed at Averau (great food and views). Book early - we had problems trying to book weekend space for seven people - might be easier with a smaller group. Midweek probably easier to find a bed but definitely email or book in advance. We were able to leave main luggage in the hotel we had stayed at for the week - went to two different rifugios for two nights then back to the hotel for a night before leaving the next day. Great experience. If you go on a longer rifugio to rifugio tour, try a company that transfers your gear as skiing with a larger backpack can be a pain.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@laraichean, Snowhead @Alchemist has done two self-organised trips

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/search.php?search_author=Alchemist

Bit light on details, but you might find some info
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Excellent, this is a great start. Thanks for all the advice.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike Pow wrote:
Ideas here

https://www.fall-line.co.uk/type-1-touring/

Many thanks but I could only find offers above 4K€ pp on their website, any cheaper option?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@laraichean, there's a trip report here on an organised one, but I guess the refugios will be the same. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2494249&highlight=dolomites#2494249
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I did a self-organised ski safari in March 2022. Just me and a mate. It was fantastic, despite coinciding with a warm dry winter and the worst of a Saharan dust storm.

All three rifugios had skiing out the front door and weren't too expensive.

Rifugio Lagazuoi - the classic. Dorm accommodation, but in March we had a room to ourselves. Early morning hidden valley was as good as hoped.
Rifugio Averau - the nicest. A few more creature comforts, and the best restaurant.
Rifugio Des Alpes (Col Rodella) - the surprise. Great views in all directions, very quiet in the evenings (we were the only guests), Sella Ronda on your doorstep

We stayed a night at Hotel Mesdi in Arabba at each end. They were more than happy to hold our bags for us.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy