Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemel bumps this Friday and Saturday, anyone going?

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of it myself Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yup me and a small bunch of tele skiers will be there on Friday morning. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How does that work - do they manufacture bumps?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
phil_w wrote:
How does that work - do they manufacture bumps?

Yep Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll be there with Junior on Saturday afternoon, although probably just in the bar. For those there today, how were the bumps?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Got any pictures?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
phil_w wrote:
Got any pictures?
There's a webcam on this page which gives some idea https://www.thesnowcentre.com/virtual-tour
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://www.facebook.com/100064599075025/posts/643414207821876/?mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks good. Picky: the slope angle and the bumps don't really match, I guess, but that should make them easier.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
phil_w wrote:
Looks good. Picky: the slope angle and the bumps don't really match, I guess, but that should make them easier.
You wouldn’t get bumps that big on a slope that gentle, for sure, but they work pretty well. Hemel has got much better at making them, learning from the expertise at Manchester. I was teaching a bumps lesson early afternoon and by then three lines had emerged. The left hand line (nearest to the middle of the slope) was the easiest, the right hand line (nearest to the lift) was the hardest. Was good for progression and mixing things up during my coaching session. The hardest line made you work, which considering it was a sunny afternoon in June was rather nice. Why wait until winter…
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was there this morning, it was great, I learnt a lot and feel a bit more confident in the bumps.
I think they got them delivered last night from Manchester.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
Hemel has got much better at making them, learning from the expertise at Manchester.

A couple of guys from my L2 with Pete Gillespie were converting to IASI from BASI, they coach in Manchester and I believe are responsible for building them up at Chill Factore. Like you say, I think there's been some learning from them.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I was there this morning, it was great, I learnt a lot and feel a bit more confident in the bumps.
I think they got them delivered last night from Manchester.

Yup me too Very Happy Most fun I've had at HH for a while. I will be there in two weeks time (30th) with Jasmin so if you have Tele skis please come along 10-12.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ski, Ah yes, I noticed some very talented TeleMarketers there last Friday.
I would of course like be able to that Geneflection technique.
But I don't think my knees are up to it, I should not have really been skiing at all last Friday but I could not miss a chance to have a bit of coaching in the bumps.
(Meniscus problem)
I'll look out for you telemarkers again.
snow report
DrLawn wrote:

Did you end up buying much then? Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

We'll be back on Friday of this week. There is one very very talented telemarker in our group, but that's not me! If you are there there on Friday, I'll have either a blue or a red jumper on, blue helmet and Volkl slalom skis.

Quote:

But I don't think my knees are up to it

Tele is less strain on knees than alpine!
ski holidays
Thanks for the invite @ski, I doubt it I'll be there on a Friday, but if per chance I get there I'll look out for you.
I'll be sporting a dazzling orange jacket and purple pants and iffy knees. Very Happy

And @ster, I left the phone in the van so they could not pester me. Laughing
latest report
They're on again this weekend
snow report
Has anybody been today? are the bumps any good?
ski holidays
Bumps are bumps

There's no such thing as bad bumps, some are better than others
ski holidays
doddsie wrote:
Has anybody been today? are the bumps any good?
Decent, larger than you would expect on a gentle slope, although spaced further apart than the bumps session last month. They were pretty good first thing at 9am, but obviously they evolved as the morning went on as quite a few people were skiing them.
latest report
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
Bumps are bumps

There's no such thing as bad bumps, some are better than others

Perhaps, although I was asking for Junior, who will not want to go if they are too easy, as he won't have any mates with him tomorrow so will get bored quickly.

Thanks Rob
ski holidays
I'm going with my (17) son, just to see what it's like. 2pm
snow report
I might try to make it myself this time,
ski holidays
@rob@rar, I’m intrigued as to how they evolved.
Did they become more accentuated or more flattened out?
snow conditions

(with rob@rar)
latest report
Very Happy that was good 2 hr workout Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When's the next ones?

Really enjoyed last Saturday
ski holidays
@Whitegoldsbrother, InsideOut have it as 2 September on their website, but on Saturday @rob@rar said he thought it would more likely be a weekend towards the back end of September.
latest report
There are some future event dates here https://www.thesnowcentre.com/newsevents/events-calendar
snow report
@tangowaggon, @Whitegoldsbrother, same here, I though it was great. Hope it happens again soon.
snow report
dode wrote:
@rob@rar, I’m intrigued as to how they evolved.
Did they become more accentuated or more flattened out?
They continued to change shape over the two days. Initially they were quite sharp-edged as they had been built with a combination of piste-bashed and shovel, so a few of us lapped around before the Centre opened on Friday to shape them a bit. As they were quite widely spaced there was initially plenty of room in the trough for skiers to take a different line, so I think as Friday progressed they became a little easier to ski, allowing you to ski almost entirely on the flat if you took a round line. But with more time the troughs became a bit deeper and the bumps changed shape, from round to more elongated down the slope, so by Saturday morning you had to ski over the bumps to a greater or lesser extent. This continued to develop during Saturday as the bumps got longer and the troughs deepened, making they a bit more challenging to ski. Overall it was fun, and a good opportunity to have a go if you were relatively new to skiing bumps. I enjoyed the coaching sessions I did over the two days as the bumps were big enough to have to work with them, but built on a relatively gentle slope so that speed control down the fall line was not a major challenge.
ski holidays
By the time I got there on Saturday afternoon, the bumps had developed quite nicely, with three lines, left quite easy & small, centre were bigger but a smooth line through them and right which had more testing troughs to contend with.
The pitch of the slope was nice, being able to let the skis run & concentrate on the turns without having to worry about speed.
snow report
@rob@rar, I've not skied hemel bumps but used to go monthly to Castleford, it defo improved my bump skiing but I also found them easier than skier made bumps? Perhaps the troughs were a bit wider than you find outside??
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
@rob@rar, I've not skied hemel bumps but used to go monthly to Castleford, it defo improved my bump skiing but I also found them easier than skier made bumps? Perhaps the troughs were a bit wider than you find outside??

Most fridges are probably the equivalent of a blue run, most resorts will groom blues nightly & bumps are usually only found on reds & blacks. This varies from place to place, Italy is notorious for grooming every cm of every piste every night rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
kitenski wrote:
The bumps they manufacture certainly start off more widely spaced, but after just two days they had started to tighten up as a result of being skied. I'd guess that process would continue to a certain extent if the bumps were left ungroomed. So that definitely makes them easier to ski than typical bumps in the mountains, and as @tangowaggon said, you'd not find bumps this big on the relatively gentle slopes we have indoors, so that also reduces the level of challenge. Having said that, the bumps this weekend were not "super easy" to ski, and there were plenty of quite experienced skiers who were very much challenged to ski an accurate and controlled line. Overall I thought it an ideal situation to be introduced to skiing bumps, as well as an opportunity to improve for those who are more experienced. Even a couple of competitive bumps skiers who were at Hemel this time and last month looked like they were having fun time. Not bad for a drizzly day in July...
snow report
Not sure why you would try to downplay the indoor bumps? They are what they are. Good fun.

If they're so easy, why did I see so many people, including some instructors, getting bounced about like rag dolls?
snow report
Not sure why you would try to downplay the indoor bumps? They are what they are. Good fun.

If they're so easy, why did I see so many people, including some instructors, getting bounced around like rag dolls?
ski holidays
@Whitegoldsbrother, where did I downplay them? read again where I said they improved my bump skiing! rolling eyes

@rob@rar, not sure who said indoor bumps were "super easy"???
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy