Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why can I not find any accomadation? Looking for a holiday for 7 people in Italy and seeking advice

Poster: A snowHead
First time posting here and tried looking for an answer to this but couldnt find it so thought Id ask.

Im looking for accomodation for Jan 2024 in ideally Val Gardena, Via Lattea or Cervinia for 7 people. 4 bedrooms with a upper limit of £2,500 for 7 nights.

When I search on subweb, booking, airbnb or vrbo I cant seem to find much of anything. It all seems to be extortionate prices or 2 bed appartments with 2 sofa beds, or miles down the valley. When I go on Booking.com it says that 70-90 % of places are already booked!

We generally go to France where I would expect to see a plethora of options and thats much later in the year.

Am I to early and the accomodation hasnt been put up for booking yet or is it actually tue that they have already been booked out?

Again apologies if this is been asked plenty of times.

Thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to SH

have you tried the local tourist board sites, they should have something.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHead
Tourist board sites are best for Italy & Austria. Although you are still a little early for full offerings, Italy in particular are slow so best to start from July onwards.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You probably need to up your budget. That's only £51 per person per night. In the small French resort I know (Les Saisies) you would pay up to £3500 for a 4 bed premium apartment in January. I just checked on the Peak Retreats web site. there's much less choice of apartments in Italy, and generally higher prices because less competition!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Possibly still a bit early to be looking. Summer season is in full swing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You're probably a bit early. Although as above, budget may be a little tight.

I've just been asked about pricing for summer 2025. I don't know how some people know what they're doing with their lives that far in advance!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stevomcd, IME people often holiday on the same weeks every year. I've done my birthday week for as long as I can remember
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Your problem is wanting a mammoth appartment. Go for 2 separate ones.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Italy resort accommodation prices are generally more expensive than France during low season. Val Gardena is particularly pricey, though Via Lattea is generally more reasonable, with Cervinia somewhere in the middle. You may find that you need to pay more than you would usually pay in France.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jeyeles, welcome to snowHeads. Booking.com often release accommodation 6 months in advance, although it can be set to individual owners preferences. For example, I don't release dates until less than 3 months before as I am charged eye-watering commission for any bookings through the site, so I tend to use it for more last minute vacancies.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jeyeles, wot dotm said. Italian apartments tend to be smaller nad more expensive.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@jeyeles, wot dotm said. Italian apartments tend to be smaller nad more expensive.

surely they can't be smaller than a french appartment........ Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

surely they can't be smaller than a french appartment

That's an odd comment. French apartments are as long as a piece of string.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Though except in the super-luxury sector (with private horizon pool, massage room and cinema) most have fewer than 4 bedrooms because most people don't want to pay a lot.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From https://www.thelocal.it/20200424/are-italian-apartments-really-some-of-the-smallest-in-europe "According to property website Idealista, the average size of an Italian home is 81 square metres – smaller than the Spanish (97 m2), German (109 m2) and French (112 m2) averages." (I'm not sure if this is mean, mode or median) A 4 bedroom apartment anywhere in Italy must be pretty rare. Though I suppose larger places may exist in the Sud Tirol as I beleive it is the wealthiest part of Italy.

The website https://shrinkthatfootprint.com/how-big-is-a-house/ gives the average size of a house in the UK as 76m2

In general there will be very few 5 room apartments for rent for the simple reason that they are hard to let. One room studios are much easier to let, followed by two room apartments etc.
ski holidays
That's an interesting article, @johnE.
ski holidays
Some houses (invariably "stunning") now being built have more bathrooms than bedrooms. And they all need cleaning. But they also have plots not much bigger than the building's footprint and are jeek by chowl with their neighbours. Skewed priorities, to my mind. A bungalow costing £1m here, built in the back garden of a bigger house, and with a tiny bit of flat land around it, is a prime example of the genre. It's not in a situation on, or even near, the water or it would cost far more.
snow conditions
Quote:

Some houses (invariably "stunning") now being built have more bathrooms than bedrooms.

Wow! I wonder what they do with all those baths? Think of the water consumption alone. Though I wonder if some of these so called bathrooms are really shower rooms with only a shower and a toilet in them, but still it must be quite rare if everyone in the house needs to shower or bath at exactly the same time.
latest report
This is not a recommendation, but a quick search on valgardena.it found this

https://www.valgardena.it/en/holidays-dolomites/accommodations-val-gardena/?a=list&sort=&enable-stay=1&coordinates%5B%5D=&coordinates%5B%5D=&stay%5Bfrom%5D=2024-01-13&stay%5Buntil%5D=2024-01-20&ResortType%5B%5D=FW&Board%5B%5D=1&stayD%5Brooms%5D%5B%5D=1&stayD%5Broomtype%5D%5B%5D=2&stayD%5Bpersons%5D%5B%5D=10&stayD%5Bkids%5D%5B%5D=0&Location%5B%5D=0&hotelname=&action=hotelSearch
snow report
@Bob, they are very creative ... and I have seen an 11m2 studio for 4 ... once beds down (which rotated into dining table) no room for anything else. But what I really meant was that they tend towards fewer bedrooms.
snow report
I dunno how much things have changed, but we stayed in Selva in 2022 in a duplex that easily would have slept 8 people for 2300 euros or so in the high season...they are out there, just need to attack the problem from various angles...
ski holidays
So I looked for local tourist boards and that certainly made much more sense, for Val Gardena there are about what I'd expect to see now. Valgardena.com, Valgarden.it and even Val-gardena.net. Want I can't believe is that each website has some common places but lots that are only on each website, feels kind of crazy that it's like this in 2023. @Bob Thanks for the info! Now to send out lots of emails.

I can't seem to find a similar website for Via Lattea, tried Sauze d'oulx and Siestere and no luck. Anyone know of a website? The only one that comes up links to Booking.com.

There does seem to be lots of 3 bedrooms available with extra singles in some of the rooms and well within our price range in VG. There is one right by the Monte Pana lift for real cheap. So think we will got there as it was our first choice of the three anyway.

@Hells_Bells that's really interesting and good info, it actually makes sense thinking about previous years.

Tempted to wait out booking till July if that's when more get put up. Would be nice to wrap it all up and not have to think about it.

Thanks for all the replies, amazing to find such a helpful community who don't think I'm a little bit crazy to be thinking about skiing when it's so hot out. I just can't get enough!
latest report
@jeyeles, wait and see how crazy it gets round here when the first big cold front sweeps across the country in Sept/Oct Toofy Grin

Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
@jeyeles, I would guess none of tjose are official Val Gardena TO sites and such things always worry me ...
ski holidays
Are you spelling accomodation wrong in your search queries?
snow report
. @under a new name, Valgardena.it is the Tourist office site.
Anyway, really it is just needed to identify the accommodation options.
Its a S*** load easier than it used to be.
I remember in 80's and 90's collecting TO guides from Ski shows, magazines, etc, then telephoning or emailing to find accommodation.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Bob, they are very creative ... and I have seen an 11m2 studio for 4 ... once beds down (which rotated into dining table) no room for anything else. But what I really meant was that they tend towards fewer bedrooms.
Yep agree.
snow report
Quote:

Are you spelling accomodation wrong in your search queries?

Laughing Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy