Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva to Wengen transfer

Poster: A snowHead
We are optimistically considering going to Wengen for our group ski next year.
We can only get flights to Geneva which isn’t ideal, but the timings mean that we wouldn’t ski on the first day and have a late flight back on the last day.

I know that it is possible to travel by train but it looks like this takes around 4 hours. Has anyone got any experience of travel by road (until the last bit where the train is required up the mountain)? We are a group of 12. I would be very grateful for an estimate of time and recommendations for transfer companies.

We do have other French options on the table but having done Chamonix and Morzine to death, we would probably be heading somewhere with a 3 hour transfer anyway.

Thank you
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@EdYarker, can't you get any flights into Zurich?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alastair Pink, no it’s pretty much Geneva or nothing flying from Bristol on the dates we are doing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
12 is a lot, but these guys are helpful and can probably come up with a solution.

https://www.taxiinterlaken.ch/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@EdYarker, you've not said what month you are travelling, but have you looked at flying from Bristol into Basel? Basel is an Easyjet hub and there seem to be flights from Bristol to Basel in January. From Basel station there are direct trains that go all the way to Interlaken Ost with no changes (you then change platforms at Interlaken Ost for the train to Lauterbrunnen then final train on the adjacent platform goes up to Wengen).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@EdYarker, It's quite a pleasant train journey. I've done Geneva-Mürren many times. it's the last link that's slow. Nice Swiis trains to Bern, nice German ICE to Interlaken. Sausages.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd second the idea of looking at Basel flights. It'll save you at least an hour on your journey time by rail, slightly less saving by car, but still quicker. For those that don't know it, Basel airport is physically located in France (with a dedicated spur road from Basel meaning that you don't actually go across a border until you're in the airport). There's a regular bus connection into the city dropping you at the main railway station, the slight extra hassle of which is more than mitigated by the fact that you'll normally be at the bus stop within 15 minutes of the flight arrival, the airport being so compact and relatively underused these days.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Chaletbeauroc, and if you get the SBB Saver Day Pass it covers you for the bus journey from Basel airport to Basel train station, and then onwards to any destination in Switzerland. It's valid all day, so you're not tied to a particular time train connection should your flight be delayed, and goes on sale 60 days before the date of travel (it gets more expensive as you get closer to the travel date, so best to buy them as soon as they become available).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Alastair Pink, Just be careful when looking at prices on sbb.ch, which are all quoted assuming you have the annual half-tax card (which itself costs chf120 per year). So the actual prices will be around double of what you see initially.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Chaletbeauroc, indeed, you have to select the option of not having a half fare card, but even so it means that you can get a Saver Day Pass for a good price, the ones I bought for March of this year cost me CHF52 each (without the half price card).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A quick Google search shows you can get Mercedes Sprinter (16 people) for around £900 each way, though you've still got to get the train up to Wengen which is around £5 each.

The train from GVA will cost more, around £100 pp each way. But... you can get Saver Day Pass tickets 60 days in advance and get up to 70% off. I think they do bucket pricing on Saver Day Passes, and their numbers are limited so I'd suggest setting an alarm. Also if you have any kids in the group, the Swiss are brilliant and charge them almost nothing.

Personally I'd take the train just to avoid herding cats.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you everyone for your continued advice and suggestions.
Unfortunately there are no flights from Bristol to Basel in January, so it’s Geneva or nothing.
@telford_mike, thanks for the suggestion of Interlaken Taxis. Will check them out.

@HilbertSpace, I would have thought herding cats would be going on the train with all those changes.. we would definitely arrive in Wengen one or two short- one of our group once missed a flight to Innsbruck as he was in the toilet when they made the last call!

As mentioned previously we are accepting of a 3 hour transfer (we went to Les Arcs a couple of years ago) but if Geneva to Wengen is nearer to 4 hours I think we will go for something else.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@EdYarker, the train is really easy ...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
EdYarker wrote:
Unfortunately there are no flights from Bristol to Basel in January, so it’s Geneva or nothing.

https://www.easyjet.com/en/cheap-flights/bristol/basel-mulhouse-freiburg seems to suggest otherwise...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
EdYarker wrote:

https://www.easyjet.com/en/cheap-flights/bristol/basel-mulhouse-freiburg seems to suggest otherwise...

Looking at that link there are flights from Bristol to Basel on 1st, 5th and 7th January, but after that none until 9th February...
snow report
@Alastair Pink, How very strange. What's the logic of that, I wonder?
ski holidays
Yes, sorry I meant there were no flights to Basel at the time in January when we needed them.
EasyJet also pulled there Wed flights to Innsbruck, which we were already booked onto, hence the need for a new plan
latest report
@EdYarker, Wengen is great but there are other options nearer to Geneva if that is the key factor. Have you been to Grimentz/Zinal or Crans Montana, both accessed from Sierre station which is 2hr 15min deirect train from the airport? There's also a number of areas accessed via Aigl station which is 1.5 hours direct from the airport - Les Diablerets and Leysin for example.
ski holidays
@DCG, thanks. There are numerous factors to consider. The key one is to find a good hotel in a good resort which will do a 3 day break at an affordable price. We found one in Wengen (+ it’s a bit of a bucket list destination for a few of us).

There is one in Crans Montana, so that would be a good back up and there are some reasonable options in some of the French resorts, so we are not stuck for choice. I’m just trying to weigh up whether the extra travel to Wengen is worth it or not.

One company I got a quote from said travel time is 2.40 hrs, which is bearable, but it’s expensive and I’m not sure whether that time includes the final train journey up the mountain (probably not).
latest report
@EdYarker, My guess is that you can do Lauterbrunnen in about 2hours 30min driving, so the quote you got fits with that. It's only another 12 minutes or so up the mountain on the train, so no big deal. I think Wengen is far superior to Crans Montana, but that's just a personal view.
snow conditions
@DCG, thanks for that. Yes we would rather do Wengen all things being equal. That’s very useful re travel times. Anything under 3 hours is fine by us, so maybe it’s on again.
Just need to weigh up the extra £75pp for transfer fees(current quote is £175 return pp), but we may yet find it cheaper elsewhere
ski holidays
@EdYarker, I presume that you are going in late January. Note that the Lauberhorn is on 12-14th Jan next year and the Inferno 24-27 Jan
latest report
Thanks @DCG, we are actually going 24-27th Jan and we’re aware that the World Cup downhill will have long since been finished.
I must admit I was unaware of the dates of the Infeeno. Being in Murren, will that affect the rest of the area much? Will we be able to get to Murren if we wanted?
latest report
EdYarker wrote:

I must admit I was unaware of the dates of the Inferno. Being in Murren, will that affect the rest of the area much?

Not at all.

EdYarker wrote:

Will we be able to get to Murren if we wanted?

Yes, you'll still be able to get to Murren and ski the vast majority of the pistes, the only ones affected are the (black)run down from the Schilthorn where the Inferno starts from then down the Kannonenrorh to the end at Winteregg (or on the rare occasions when the snow conditions permit all the way down to Lauterbrunnen), see Inferno race course map

Incidentally you said you'd found a good hotel at an affordable price in Wengen that will do a 3 day break. Is it the Hotel Edelweiss? If so I can highly recommend it, it's been my regular place to stay in Wengen ever since the new owner Daniel took over several years ago. Very Happy
latest report
Ok thanks again@Alastair Pink, I’ve heard Murren is well worth visiting so wouldn’t want to miss out. If there is a bit of race atmosphere around then so much the better.
The hotel is actually the Victoria Lauberhorn. Looks very well situated.
I haven’t come across Hotel Edelweiss on my searches but will check them out. Thanks for the tip.
latest report
EdYarker wrote:
Ok thanks again@Alastair Pink, I’ve heard Murren is well worth visiting so wouldn’t want to miss out. If there is a bit of race atmosphere around then so much the better.
I haven’t come across Hotel Edelweiss on my searches but will check them out. Thanks for the tip.

The Victoria Lauberhorn has more facilities i.e a pool and spa complex, whereas the hotel Edelweiss just has a sauna. However the food in the Edelweiss is very good (if you go for the half board option which is CHF35 extra per person per night it's a fixed 4 course meal (salad, soup, main course and dessert), although vegetarian alternatives are available, and if you retire after dinner to the lounge there's free tea and coffee available (if you order a coffee at the dinner table you have to pay for it). I think you'll find the Edelweiss will be even more affordable than the Victoria Lauberhorn (if they can accommodate your group).

I should also add that the Victoria Lauberhorn is located a bit more centrally, just a few yards from the Mannlichen cable car and the train station, whereas the Edelweiss is about a 5 minute walk from these (uphill in the morning, downhill coming back). However the hotel Edelweiss arranges free storage of boots and skis for guests in the Central Sport ski depot which is right next to the Mannlichen cable car.

Hope this helps. snowHead

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 11-06-23 23:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@EdYarker, do it. Swiss trains are superb and a much nicer way to travel than by road. We stay in the Victoria - proper old swiss hotel but everything is very comfortable.
ski holidays
EdYarker wrote:

One of the main things to see in Murren is the Piz Gloria restaurant at the top of the Schilthorn.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@EdYarker,
Quote:

I was unaware of the dates of the Inferno. Being in Murren ...

Not at all. It closes (hopefully) most of the Mürren skiing on the Friday (afternoon?) and Saturday but nothing else. It's a great atmosphere (I've done the Inferno a few times) Skiing isn't really a spectator sport though!

BUt be aware that Wengen to Mürren is a little bit of a trek on trains.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

BUt be aware that Wengen to Mürren is a little bit of a trek on trains.

It's not too bad. Train from Wengen down to Lauterbrunnen (journey time 13 mins) then a few yards walk to the cable car at Lauterbrunnen that goes up to Grütschalp (journey time 7 mins). Then a train at Grütschalp that meets the cable car and a very scenic ride to Mürren takes 14 mins, but if you're skiing most people get off at the first train stop at Winteregg which is only 5 mins journey time from Grütschalp.
latest report
Thanks again for the further info everyone. @Nadenoodlee, I genuinely would love to do the train transfer (I often use Austrian trains) but under the circumstances and having found a slightly cheaper road transfer, that is probably the more sensible option for us.
@Alastair Pink, it looks like I will have to email the Edelweiss directly to get availability and prices for a group our size. Thank you for the detailed description. The Victoria Lauberhorn looks good though (thanks for the confirmation @Nadenoodlee, ) so The Edelweiss would have to be a good deal cheaper to over take it.
@sugarmoma666, Piz Gloria will be on our list thanks. Is it a treck to get to or just a lift from the main Murren village?
@under a new name, I’ve been on the website and it looks like the giant slalom is on Thursday, with mainly evening events on Friday this year but we can work this out nearer the time. Thanks for the input.
snow report
EdYarker wrote:

@Alastair Pink, it looks like I will have to email the Edelweiss directly to get availability and prices for a group our size. Thank you for the detailed description. The Victoria Lauberhorn looks good though (thanks for the confirmation @Nadenoodlee, ) so The Edelweiss would have to be a good deal cheaper to over take it.

The Victoria Lauberhorn is certainly good and as I said has a good pool/spa complex, and is more centrally located than the Edelweiss. However it's worthwhile getting a quote from the Edelweiss to see how the prices
compare.

EdYarker wrote:

@sugarmoma666, Piz Gloria will be on our list thanks. Is it a treck to get to or just a lift from the main Murren village?

If you take the cable car/ train route to Mürren then it's about a 10 minute walk from Mürren train station through the village to the cable car that goes up to Birg and the Schilthorn. If you are skiing from Winteregg though you can ski over all the way to the cable car building in Mürren. Alternatively from outside Lauterbrunnen train station you can take the bus that goes up the valley to Stechelberg, from where there is a cable car up to Mürren that arrives in the same building as the cable car up to Birg and the Schilthorn.
ski holidays
Thanks again @Alastair Pink, I’m sure we will get up there given a clear day!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy