Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chatel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi. I have driven to various French ski resorts over the last 10 years so am very familiar with the Motorways. We are planned to go to Chatel next season and Google has suggested 2 routes. One of the routes crosses into Switzerland. Is this route worth taking? Does it have problems with snow coverage? For info we will be travelling in mid January and hopefully arriving in resort around 3pm. Many thanks and all advice welcomed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unless there was traffic in France, which there won't be in Jan, I'd blast round the autoroute in preference to the slow/twisty route over the Jura.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It seems to actually show a third route (assuming you're starting from Calais) initially staying further East and avoiding the Paris area, then joining the A40 at Dijon. This would be my preference of the three. Certainly I wouldn't suggest crossing over the Jura, charming though it is; as part of a long drive it would be a lot more tiring that sticking on motorways.

There is an alternative if you're starting from Ostende or even Dunkirk (no idea what ferries run these days, so this may be irrelevant), going through Belgium and Luxembourg, down through Basel and using the Swiss motorways via Montreux and the pas de Morgins (wave as you go past). Much fewer toll roads that way, and historically fuel has always been a lot cheaper in Luxembourg so was always worth planning to stop there for a refill. ISTR the some folk used to cross over to the Hook of Holland, from which it was apperently faster on the German motorways, but I've never done that route.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We usually cross with the tunnel. My biggest concern is how difficult roads can be if the weather is bad...or snowy. My choice seems to be via Annemasse and things les Bains on the French route. The cut through switzerland is via Poligny in France to cross in Switzerland at vallorbe then Lausanne then to chatel via Morgins. Just prefer the route that is the easiest to drive in bad weather.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Must endorse the route mentioned by@Chaletbeauroc, Belgium, Lux and enter Switzerland at Basel.
Cheap fuel in Lux and only 3 sections of toll amounting to about 20euro.
This was my route for 15 years with few if any issues, our boat now docks in Rotterdam so we come down through Germany. Quality of the roads fantastic, but we miss the free fuel in Lux.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SquarepantsSkier wrote:
We usually cross with the tunnel. My biggest concern is how difficult roads can be if the weather is bad...or snowy. My choice seems to be via Annemasse and things les Bains on the French route. The cut through switzerland is via Poligny in France to cross in Switzerland at vallorbe then Lausanne then to chatel via Morgins. Just prefer the route that is the easiest to drive in bad weather.

This was basically the route I did to Verbier last month, albeit I drive through the Jura around 3am. It's not massively high up, and the chances of snow on the road are probably low, but, there's a chance. You'll also need to buy the Swiss Vignette for that hour or so of motorway journey, but that probably nets off vs the cost of the French toll costs.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've used the Jura route through Poligny a lot, albeit down towards Geneva. I like it, and it's shorter than the motorway (and you save on fuel, as well as tolls, as it's a lower speed route). I wouldn't do it if there was any snow on the road - I did once, through inattention, and found myself behind a truck which was struggling and skidding all over the road. It was alarming. I had winter tyres, but would have had to put chains on without them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We almost always go via the Jura, but via Besancon/Pontarlier/Vallorbe rather than Poligny. A bit longer but better roads and it means we can stop at the bakery in Besancon. I’ve had enough of Autoroute driving by the time we turn off.

The roads are usually fine but if there is heavy snow can be a bit dodgy. No need to make a decision now, wait until you are approaching Dijon and call it based on the weather. Wouldn’t fancy it without winter tyres.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

wait until you are approaching Dijon and call it based on the weather.

Yes, absolutely.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm with DJL - by the time I'm past Dijon I've had enough of the Autoroute and I welcome the 1.5hrs over the Jura (via Poligny & Champagnole for me) before crossing into Switzerland at Vallorbe. Similar time to staying on the Autoroute to Annemasse, Swiss Vignette cost offset by reduction in French tolls.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DJL,
Quote:

the Jura, but via Besancon/Pontarlier/Vallorbe

Oh wow, that takes me right back to annual, childhood holidays in the Valais using that route. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I drive to Chatel multple times every year and now always drive through the Jura, unless weather is awful , but I avoid Besancon and Pontalier which can be slow due to local traffic. I come off the A39 Autoroute further south at junction 7 for Poligny and follow the following which is is similar to @Matt1959: Polingy > Censeau > Bonneveau > Metabief > Swiss Border near Vallorbe > Morgins > Chatel.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Technically, NOT Chatel, but anyone driving to Chatel via Morgins will notice that construction has started on the new base station at La Foilleuse.
For the moment a poured concrete base of the ground floor, shuttering and loads of re-bar for the ground floor walls.
Really looking forward to this opening as it will mean that ours friends who have special mobility needs will be able to come up and enjoy the awesome vista of the Dents du Midi, the "pleasure" of dining at L'O, access to Rock the Piste and more options for adaptive skiing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy