Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Giro D'Italia - alleghe, Arraba, val di Zoldo

Poster: A snowHead
The Giro, as ever hits the Dollies.

It passes therough, Alleghe, Arabba and over many of the climbs.

There is even a finsh at Val di Zoldo which us the back part of the Civetta resort.

I'm sure the views will,be amazing and nostalgic.

Live coverage in Eurosport.

Stages 18 and 19
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Of course today Gran Sasso in the Appenines, ski resort Campo Imperatore and some impressive snow walls at the finish. First proper mountain day, also live on GCN.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Watching now. Quite a bit of snow up there.
Very dull race though today
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@cameronphillips2000, yes it was bizarrely uneventful, lots of speculation that the main protagonists are banged up from previous days, though there was a very strong headwind which would have made any sort of "attack" extremely risky.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Seems to have been loads of snow in the Dolomites in the last few days , I’ve unwittingly managed to follow https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid035hJLrRknh6AbfEYtQei1Cg283nQjrsuxst6ie4wNjon3vEXELdDzKKmTU37Xexeul&id=100057667321086 On FB and am being inundated with snowy pics still a few days before they get there but will be plenty of snow to look at on TV
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For those without Eurosport, there's a highlights show on every (racing) night at 7 on DMAX and at 8 on DMAX+1. And you can watch it at 10 in Welsh on S4C and on IPlayer thereafter.

I must admit, I can watch sport in French/German/Italian/Spanish and have a reasonable grasp of what's going on. Welsh, not so much.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Evenepoel out due to Covid is a real disaster. I wanted Thomas or Geoghegan Hart to win but it is awful for the race to lose the favourite. Having looked vulnerable on Saturday he raced a fantastic time trial yesterday. So it was just getting interesting.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
He won the TT despite being ill Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Remco raced for 16km on the flat in the prologue ar a speed 10% quicker than Lance Armstrong in his prime.
Then wins a TT against the world's best with Covid.

They pulled him for thw TDF

G in with a great chance now if Ineos work as a team and attack Roglic. Tao looked stronger on the climbs though - probably their main man.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It also might explain why he was unable to follow on Saturday; which may also explain why the racing was so uneventful, i.e. if everyone was scared of him on his favourite type of terrain but he wasn't feeling good, then no-one was going to really push.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It also explains why Remco "only" won by 1 second on a long TT. He put much more time into the rest on a shorter TT earlier in the race.

No way he'll be going for GC at the Tour. QS don't have anywhere near a solid enough mountain support squad, they are all geared up for stages/green with Jakobson.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@cameronphillips2000, I cant see Remco Evenepoel going to the Tour this year, hardly any TT and lots of climbs, not an ideal parcours for him. Plus the media hoopla would be insane, there have been suggestions he could go for the "experience" but if he won a stage from a breakaway, of which he is more than capable, there would be all sorts of "demands" he then rode for the GC. As has been pointed out already SQS dont have the team to take this on, better to go for sprint stages & breakaways with Julian Alaphilippe as they always have.

He was not that far ahead of the field in the initial TT, G was only a couple of seconds behind on the flat section but faded on the climb, TGH was quickest up the climbing section (he bizarrely had the KoM jersey the next day). What was perhaps a surprise was that Primoz Roglic was not quite at the same level. No doubt Remco has been affected by the virus but maybe was not quite as far ahead as many thought in the first place.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
leggyblonde wrote:

No way he'll be going for GC at the Tour. QS don't have anywhere near a solid enough mountain support squad, they are all geared up for stages/green with Jakobson.

Can’t he just ride on the tail of the other lead riders on the big climbs?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, Firstly the battles to sit on Ineos and Jumbo trains are huge and those guys have domestiques' to act as sweepers/get in the way too. They would also just keeping attacking with their Plan B/co-leaders forcing Remco to chase. And he'd have to to get his own bottles and gilets etc.

Pogacar is supremely impressive at "doing it by himself" and is more skillful, better in the mountains and more experienced than Remco and even he capitulated to Jumbo last year. Pogacar is also popular with the other riders, whereas Remco is less so. Friends in the bunch really help!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Grand StBernard pass has been removed from st13 route due to snow still not cleared and more expected.
latest report
adithorp wrote:
Grand StBernard pass has been removed from st13 route due to snow still not cleared and more expected.

That is a real pity. Ironic as well given what a poor snow year it was - April and even May delivering the goods the main part of the season didn’t.

It is still going to be an exciting stage - and fun for us Valais skiers: watching them go from Verbier over to La Tsoumaz and then up to Crans Montana.
ski holidays
This was the pass at the beginning of May with ploughs trying to clear 4m of snow.

snow conditions
adithorp wrote:

Will they come through the tunnel instead? If not how will they get to Le Châble?
ski holidays
The tunnel apparently. Real shame the Grand St. Bernard is missing but it is the Giro and happens all the time.
latest report
See Evenpoel out of giro after testing for covid, am very mixed about this, would he be blocked from racing if he caught a cold or flu?

Understand local country rules around isolation etc but really? Chances are all his team will have been potentially infected, what about all the tv crews and support staff who would have been in close proximity in the previous 24-48 hours when he was likely to be a risk?
snow report
@ansta1, he'd would have pulled out with a cold or flu. Team wouldnt risk side effects of continuing to race. Tim Declercq's pericarditis diagnosis last year saw to that.
snow conditions
@adithorp, proper flu almost certainly granted, a cold possibly but depends on how bad and the upcoming stage difficulty would be a factor I'd guess, non symptomatic covid (if it was non symptomatic) ?

Man flu however, he'd be airlifted back home immediately as that is as bad as it gets as we know.
snow conditions
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Remco raced for 16km on the flat in the prologue ar a speed 10% quicker than Lance Armstrong in his prime.
Then wins a TT against the world's best with Covid.

They pulled him for thw TDF

G in with a great chance now if Ineos work as a team and attack Roglic. Tao looked stronger on the climbs though - probably their main man.

10% quicker than Armstrong in his "prime".....hmm
latest report
@ansta1, Remco was really unwell not just a surprise positive test. Some riders have carried on with a positive test, they were shown to have a low enough "viral load" for it not to be an issue. Given the weather conditions it is not surprising so many riders are becoming ill, it could well be a case of last man standing to win the race.

@Whitegoldsbrother, especially with the TT riders are going faster due to improvements in technology, more aero bikes, clothes etc. The bigger teams can afford to spend hours in wind tunnels to refine the rider's position on the bike. Over a half hour TT this can give a significant benefit perhaps a good deal more than Texan blood bags!
snow report
@munich_irish, agreed. Not saying the pro peloton is clean but the aero and efficiency gains thanks to people like Dan Bigham has been huge.
snow report
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
Remco raced for 16km on the flat in the prologue ar a speed 10% quicker than Lance Armstrong in his prime....

Well it's worth checking random figures thrown about...
Armstrong's fastest tt (1990) 54kph.
Remco, Giro stage1, 55.2kph

And for comparison, Greg Lemond, TdF final stage Paris 1989, 54.5kph
ski holidays
Quote:

Chances are all his team will have been potentially infected

Four more quickstep riders out today with Covid, just three left in the race.

Covid isn;t over
latest report
adithorp wrote:
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
Remco raced for 16km on the flat in the prologue ar a speed 10% quicker than Lance Armstrong in his prime....

Well it's worth checking random figures thrown about...
Armstrong's fastest tt (1990) 54kph.
Remco, Giro stage1, 55.2kph

And for comparison, Greg Lemond, TdF final stage Paris 1989, 54.5kph

“The last thing I’ll say for the people like myself that don’t believe in cycling, the cynics and the sceptics, I’m sorry. I’m sorry that I can’t dream big and I’m sorry that I don't believe in miracles...”
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tao Geoghegan Hart crashing out is a real disappointment. I guess it makes things easier for Ineos having only one GC rider to protect.
snow conditions
JohnMo wrote:
Tao Geoghegan Hart crashing out is a real disappointment. I guess it makes things easier for Ineos having only one GC rider to protect.

That’s a shame. Will be up in Verbier for a look on Friday in case any other SH’s are there and want to say hello
latest report
JohnMo wrote:

Fractured hip it seems.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:

Will be up in Verbier for a look on Friday in case any other SH’s are there and want to say hello

So frustrating. We are back out a week on Monday. I would love to have gone over to the peak between Verbier and La Tsoumaz given that I ski there so often. Still looking forward to watching it on TV.
ski holidays
JohnMo wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Will be up in Verbier for a look on Friday in case any other SH’s are there and want to say hello

So frustrating. We are back out a week on Monday. I would love to have gone over to the peak between Verbier and La Tsoumaz given that I ski there so often. Still looking forward to watching it on TV.

Going to try and ride from Sembrancher to Croix de Cœur this morning so we can laugh at out snail like speed compared to the pros snowHead
snow report
Todays route shortened!

Due to the adverse weather conditions, especially on the Italian side of the border, the Commission has decided to meet the athletes’ demands by applying the Extreme Weather Protocol. Stage 13 will thus be shortened, with the new Km 0 being set in the town of Le Chable, at the entrance to the Croix de Coeur. The final part of the stage will remain unchanged. The stage timetable will also remain unchanged.
snow conditions
That should make for some lightning speeds on the climb!
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
That should make for some lightning speeds on the climb!

It'll make the front if the race entertaining but at the back will make the eliminatin time very tight for the sprinters as they'll be losing time almost from km zero.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 19-05-23 13:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Looks tricky at the top of Croix de Cœur (2100m) - snow banks and meltwater making a mess of the gravel!
snow report
They've just started - looks dry at the bottom!
ski holidays
An entertaining day at the front but disappointing that the GC riders kept their powder dry on both climbs that presented opportunities. It will be nice seeing them doing the Simplon Pass tomorrow.
ski holidays
@BobinCH, I presume you were not one of the paragliders hanging around at the top of the Croix de Coeur. Given how miserable it was surprised so many spectators cycled or walked up. It looked pretty dodgy for the first part of the descent though it does seem an interesting climb, I wonder if the Tour will use it at some point.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy