Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last Hurrah of the Season

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Been waiting for a window of opportunity with regard to conditions as last Friday's big avalanche, again showed how delicate the snow-pack can quickly become.

Temps have been cooler along with a cold wind, and overnight, temps at altitude were well below freezing thus securing the snow-pack, at least for where I was planning on going, which was back up in our favourite sector above the Lautaret and below Pic Blanc Galibier.

I was not even sure I'd even get one last tour in before we head back to the UK on Sunday as the weather has not been brilliant, but there did look like a window of opportunity for today, and having cycled up the Galibier road on Saturday on the road bike to the snow-line where the déneigement had reached, which was 2,300m, I knew the road would be cleared further, so my plan was to ride my e-mtb, stash the bike and then out with the skis.

Waking up and looking at the forecasts did not fill me full on confidence, but then looking out the window did, but as I drove up the valley I did have second thoughts as there was a big bank of cloud hovering over Pic Blanc Galibier, but this often happens. In fact, temps were the issue as it was far colder than I expected and the snow was very hard and I was concerned the all-important transformation wouldn't occur.

I stashed the bike exactly where I planned not that I think anyone would be up there, at least out to steal a bike and armed with a portable angle grinder Laughing

On the way up four chamois made an appearance and marmots were all over the place, whistling to each other and then very confused when I whistled back.

I climbed up just below one of the ridges from Pic des Trois Évêchés where I'd estimate over 60% of the faces had gone, so I climbed up one area that was still intact (and now more stable) and by the time I'd transitioned the snow was warming up nicely, there was even a couple of cms of fresh atop above 2,600m from the rain of yesterday which made the snow nice n'creamy.

I ride up in my ski-boots and you don't really notice any difference with the e-mtb.

Climbing up alongside the debris

Then skiing back down

Bit lower down nice n'creamy

As I made it down to the bike there was van parked up (you see it on the video) and a guy skied down to it, which was pretty surprising as the road is closed with a barrier. We had a chat and he was extolling how lovely the snow was and I asked him how he'd managed to drive up there, to which he explained that he was a guide and managing the avalanche security for the teams working on the snow clearance (déneigement) of the road, on both sides!

http://youtube.com/v/wVOb9MdZwOk

So as ever great when a plan comes together and now I think I'll finally hang up the skis, though does still look like winter hasn't quite given up just yet looking at next weeks forecast?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nice
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well played
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chapeau!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well done! Also, I have been looking at ebikes, and the tech has definitely improved recently.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well done Weathercam,
How did you film that, did you have a drone tracking you?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DrLawn, it's a GoPro 360 - more here

https://www.stylealtitude.com/gopro-max-360-skiing-how-to-film-and-mount-camera.html
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy