Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nz central South Island 23

Poster: A snowHead
Kicking it off with the latest charts.

Nothing on the ground but looking like a season starter next week with a 50 cm ish storm.

Lifts are scheduled to start spinning in 5 weeks time but if this comes off some of the clubbies will hopefully open up earlier

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A bit northwards, looks like Ruapehu will still be operating this year despite the RAL administration situation being unresolved (sod all on their website of course)?

Not yet even selling their season passes which is pretty late on now (not that I’ll be buying one this year).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ster, I’ll be (happily) surprised if they get open. Sounds like govt agencies are being very slow to approve funding guarantees for receivers, so recruitment of staff and season pass sales will be left too late to make happen.

Does however mean that it will be great for touring. I’ve never been there but may pay a visit in spring
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@hang11, a disaster for the local economy in the offing then?

If they do open I would think season passes could still sell as the market for those must be local/Auckland and thats not going away (Even if Aucklanders then plan instead the odd trip to SI fields to make up)

But recruitment might be a problem as they might not be able to offer lessons and the income that brings or to open all areas which would really impact it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Receivers are focussed on the best outcome for creditors, as they should be, and having had some professional involvement with them before, I know they are very good at what they do - ie get value for creditors - the concerns of the local community are irrelevant to them. So unless government step up with an offer to improve the outcome for creditors I don’t think they will get open. They have said there are 4 offers on the table, but no more detail given.

There’s a whole bunch of BS with iwi involved and government looking like they will lose the election so kicking the can down the road. Any operator would need a bunch of guarantees around contingent liabilities for remediation of the mountain and treaty stuff as well. It’s super complicated given all the different parties interested and with an agenda.

It’s not like the South Island which is pretty much run by the pale male and stale old boy farmer network.

* all just my personal opinion as an ex finance person turned dropkick snowboarder Very Happy

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 5-05-23 11:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Slight correction

hang11 wrote:
Receivers are focussed on the best outcome for receivers
wink

Yes creditors might get something back but the receivers own pockets get filled early rather than on any success base for the creditors.

At the risk of derailing your thread early, I wonder who’s in the running? Would groups like Vail be interested or is it too small/risky. I imagine a local (non-profit) group might be good. What happened to the fund raising of life pass holders? And the SI field owners?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ster wrote:
Slight correction

hang11 wrote:
Receivers are focussed on the best outcome for receivers
wink

Solid correction !

I think someone like vail would be scared off by the iwi involvement. Treaty stuff is a whole legal system they have no experience of. And it’s probably small beans for them. They have gone into oz resorts but I guess the attraction is the Ozzies using their passes for overseas holidays. Nz is way smaller.

The two South Island operators would be better placed to get in there, but i can’t see them wanting to take on the remediation issues with the mountain being sacred or whatever the fk it is (pakeha male mainlander ignorance coming through here)

So unless it’s a bargain they would surely be better placed to bring tourists to their much better connected and structured South Island mountains in Queenstown and wanaka - I don’t go to those places - they are fkn horrible !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Never been to those SI fields but I imagine pricy as well as all of Queenstown seems priced for overseas tourists.

No doubt the iwi and the National Park involvement is difficult to cater to for any owner but they seemed to get than gondola built so I guess some inducements can work.

Maybe best if local businesses take it over as I doubt the administrators will want to open Ruapehu under their ownership. But whatever happens I do hope someone picks it up and keeps both sides open as nice to have them so close to Auckland if we go back.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any recommendations for ski hire in or around Christchurch? We are going to be touring around the stations for a couple of weeks in a motorhome. Last time (14 years ago) we took our own skis, which was a big hassle, so this time only taking our boots. We thought it would be easier to hire for the whole trip rather than every other day. Not arriving until the end of August - hopefully the conditions will be good by then.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ski lots, there will be somewhere but I don’t know of them. Is Christchurch you’re only option (your entry and exit point I assume ) and are you hiring for the all the weeks you are there rather than when you need them at each resort? There will be pros and cons of each approach of course.

Should read posts better! I’d prefer to rent as I went in case of equipment failure or the ski didnt suit and as you’re renting skis not boots the time in the shop each time will be minimal. And you should get a nice sharp and waxed pair each time.

There are usually places at the bigger resorts, such as for Mt Hutt there are a few places in Methven. So you should find rentals nearby unless you’re going to those tiny stations.

And there are loads in Queenstown.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ster, thanks, but the decision has been made. I was really looking for a local view on which of the companies in Christchurch might offer the best service. We are anticipating moving on most evenings and accept that we might not be able to ski every day due to weather (we live in Scotland). I’ll ski on any old rubbish skis, whereas Mrs SL has an engineering background as well as masses of ski experience and ensures we don’t get fobbed of with sub-standard stuff. If they break we’ll have to deal with it when it happens, but that’s part of the point of getting a good recommendation.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ski lots, Gnomes in Darfield, or Snowride in Christchurch are probably the best options.

If you are touring round different areas - I assume that's the clubbies in Canterbury? If so , I would say Gnomes, just because it's the nearest to the hills on the powder highway

Other hire places:

Big Al's Methven
Alpine Sports Methven
McEwings Christchurch
Snowmania Christchurch

The big hills like Hutt, Coronet, Cardies, TC, Remarkables will have hire gear, but you could be lining up for ages to get it, and they have run out a few times on busy days.

Can't help with recommendations in Queenstown because the only times I've been there in the last 15 years I've driven straight through town to go somewhere that isn't a sh1thole Happy

A decent bit of snow due this week, and it's starting to get there, should be all good by end of August.

If for some reason (I don't recommend the place) you want to go to Cardrona, they are limiting day pass sales this year, and sell out a lot, so you need to pre book your days. Personally I cant understand why anyone would want to ski with that many people, especially if transport isn't an issue.

If you are touring around - my quick guide on cool places to go:

Canterbury:

If there's no new snow: Hutt/Porters or Cheeseman - they will have groomers. Hutt has chairlifts, Porters has a chair and a couple of T Bars to get up the top, Cheeseman is all T Bars

Club fields these are all nutcracker tows - Broken River is epic on a good day. Needs a bit of a walk to get in there. Olympus - don't try to drive a camper up there. Craigieburn - also epic. Temple Basin - the jewell in the crown of South Island skiing on the right day. Basically the sort of terrain you normally need a heli to get to. About an hour walk up from the road, but they have a goods lift for your gear. Hanmer Springs is great fun, road can be a bit sporty.

Mackenzie:

A couple of hours south of Christchurch - Roundhill, T bars for most of it, and mellow wide open terrain. If the heritage rope tow is open, then it's a whole lot more fun in terms of steep terrain. Dobson - low key, easy road in, a chair and a t-bar. Fun terrain. Good option on a powder day. Fox Peak - never been there, looks fun. Ohau - if there's good snow it's unmissable IMO. Epic on the right day.

If you are keen to get on a heli trip, definitely do that with Methven or Mt Cook Heli. They are the same company and really good.

And have a watch of this:

https://www.redbull.com/nz-en/films/highway-seventy-three
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Ski lots, if you happen to want a lesson at Mt Hutt I can recommend a good friend who's over there this season. She's Scottish too!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hang11, thanks for that comprehensive response - just what I was looking for and I will follow up. We went to Ohau last time and hope to go back. Similarly did a wonderful heli day at Mt Cook last time and will probably try again if the weather plays ball.

@swskier, thanks, but not thinking of taking a lesson at Mt Hutt. I do have a former colleague working at Treble Cone, who I do want to try and link up with though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ski lots, Methven heli is worth a look if you have already flown Mt Cook. They have a lot of terrain they can fly into, which is epic. I won't willy wave photos on this thread, but it's by a small margin my pick of the two options. They are fairly convenient from Christchurch, and the drive up to where they fly from is a stunner, and well off the usual tourist trail. You would see a very special bit of NZ that a lot of people don't.

I'm on a touring epic around Mt Cook area end of August and beginning of September. Got 8 straight days camping/hut tour booked in. you will probably smell me when you land in Christchurch Very Happy

I've had a nice bottle of Glendronach dropped off at this place, which I will be visiting on my way through.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinations/nz/canterbury/300565443/the-bad-decision-hut-the-new-zealand-whisky-hut-thats-the-highest-in-the-world
ski holidays
hang11 wrote:
Big Al's Methven

Good to hear they are still there, I think that’s who we used, many years ago though.

I had bought boots off Browns of Queenstown when they briefly had an Auckland shop but again, quite a while ago.
latest report
@hang11, thanks for the Methven tip - I’ll investigate.

I can see how the South Island terrain gives itself to touring. We do some day touring in the Alps, but this will very much be a tourist trip.

One of the things we were struck by when we last visited NZ was, despite the excellent wines, the lack of locally produced brandy or other spirits.
snow report
https://www.cardronadistillery.co.nz/#top
ski holidays
@hang11, Aha - must check it out - thanks for the pointer.
latest report
Got too much snow today.

A 1 to 2 metre storm hitting the Canterbury hills at the moment. Just had to go to work to deal with flooding and had to use my 4wd with a snorkel to get there Eh oh!

Should be real good later in the week when it clears.
ski holidays
@Ski lots, looking good now around the local areas after a few recent storms.

Everywhere has got good coverage. There’s a pwl problem in a lot of the back country areas, so if you are touring think about that and you might find some conservative terrain choices if you go up on a heli.

I think the bigger areas have been really busy on the bluebird days this year. Roundhill have got the heritage tow open which is always worth a go if there’s new snow, and broken river have got their tram thing going so no need to walk in there.
latest report
@hang11, thanks for that and for earlier advice. I’ve been keeping an eye on webcams and reports and have been generally enthused. We have booked skis (on your recommendation) with Gnomes, who were very helpful and efficient. I’ve also been in contact with a couple of the heliski operations with flexible options. We intend to try and ski Mount Hutt on our first day and we have a provisional date booked to ski with a (younger) old colleague, who is working in TC this season. Other than that we are trying to be flexible and work with the weather. We won’t be ski touring though, just touring around in the camper.

Really looking forward to it.
snow report
Some recent pics, snow's been good. More incoming this weekend and next weekend. got a spot of brain damage a few weeks ago, so have been doing a fair bit of touring in low angle stuff until the head comes right, but heading away end of next week for 8 days of foot powered snowboarding in some proper South Island mountains, really excited about that, but 8 days without a shower won't make for a pleasant helicopter on the way home Very Happy

Rakaia River looking over to Christchurch

Towers at Mt Hutt this morning

Kirtle Burn Hut in the Pisa Range. Did a few days out there last week, saw a couple of Tesla Cybertucks at the SHPG as I skinned past the test track. Crazy cold - minus 12 in the hut one morning, woke up with icicles hanging off my beard, gas bottle froze, couldn't make a cup of tea. Nightmare scenario.

ski holidays
@hang11, just had a superb day with Methven Heli-Skiing on your recommendation. Tempted to go back for another day before we leave NZ - although it was not in the budget!

Also used Gnomes for ski hire, who were very good and had a couple of great days at Mt Hutt.

Probably going to try Ohau next, which we enjoyed last time.
ski holidays
@Ski lots, Nice - just saw their insty from today looked epic. I’m flying up near Mt Cook with them on Monday.

Keep an eye on the weather / bit of a storm coming in. Could be a good pow day on the cards at ohau next week.

This is where I am at the moment. Corn harvest …

ski holidays
Looks nice.

Weather seems to be closed in today. But, we are travelling South anyway. Hope to ski Ohau tomorrow.
snow conditions
It was a stunner in the two thumbs today - forecast looks ok tomorrow for ohau. Should go corny by lunchtime.

Had lunch on pyramid peak today. Done about 3,500m ascent / descent last 3 days.

snow report
Cass valley this morning

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking good!
ski holidays
phil_w wrote:
Looking good!

Heli/hike/heli trip.

Scored it good but brutal weather and a long hike in
snow report
Good shred.
latest report
Ohau was great.

Went to Queenstown, but it was mobbed and full of designer shops - don’t think we will bother next time.

Finally got a day on the Tasman Glacier. Skiing was easy (there was someone snowploughing down) however, it was also beautifully smooth, not sure I can remember doing so many linked turns on spring. The scenery is something else - if you get the chance do it.
ski holidays
The pics I posted are 2 valleys over from the Tasman. It’s stunning country all round there. Remote AF.

Queenstown is highly avoidable. Well done on seeing some proper NZ. It’s a stunning country and it’s such a shame when people visit and just go to Queenstown. It’s nothing like the rest of the country.
ski holidays
El Niño delivering some late season goodness

Snake ridge to mt beuzenberg today

snow report
Possibly end of season now. Yesterday, snow melting quick and combat skinning through tussock with a long approach to find anything worthwhile. Great weather and scenery however.

ski holidays
15 degrees and slushy fun today. The end is nigh but can’t go past the views of the South Pacific.

snow report
@hang11, that looks pretty decent for end of season! Where were those pics taken?
ski holidays
@denfinella, mt hutt - the one with the sea in the background is taken from virgin mile.

Snow got a bit like blue tack by lunchtime. Good fun and no crowd for a change. Got home and went for a surf so life is good Very Happy
latest report
Good endseason pix.
ski holidays
Still going and still pretty good Very Happy

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy