Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé 2023-24

Poster: A snowHead
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Mother hucker, what will be open apart from Schladming, Zauchensee, flachau/wagrain areas? For the final week you could wait till you are there to book somewhere

so Schladming, zauchensee, Flachau/wagrain will all be open? im new to salzburgerland and have zero knowllage.
Are they all predominantly north facing?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mother hucker, yes. They will all be open. no idea of the aspect, sorry, its not something I've ever considered, but they all have pistes on both sides/around the the mountains
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx, super danke.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mother hucker wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Mother hucker, what will be open apart from Schladming, Zauchensee, flachau/wagrain areas? For the final week you could wait till you are there to book somewhere

so Schladming, zauchensee, Flachau/wagrain will all be open? im new to salzburgerland and have zero knowllage.
Are they all predominantly north facing?

Forecasted closure dates usually revolve around Easter dates. In 2022 the forecasted closure date was 17 April, (Easter Sunday) but actual last day with lifts was 18 April. In 2023 forecasted closure was 10 April (Easter Sunday) but with the dump of snow that week, Flachau Snowspace stayed open until 16 Apr. For 2024 the forecasted closure is 7 April which is the Sunday after Easter. The post Easter week is generally quiet and the infrastructure begins to close down. Unless Easter is very early, like 2024. Here in Flachau/Wagrain the first week of April is traditionally when the Belgian Schools' Ski Clubs all come down so I suspect most things will stay open. Zauchensee usually runs for a week longer, same at the Planai and Reiteralm (Schladming). Plus, the Kitzsteinhorn at Zell am See will probably be open until the end of April, much like Obertauren.
This year it was possible to ski from one side of the Snowspace to the other until the last open day. >40% of slopes are North facing, same at Schladming. It can also be a perfect time of year to get into Ski Touring. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, my mistake re Flachau/Wagrain - I was looking at a 3rd party site not snowspace
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
not been in the Amade before, which village would you stay in and why? looking at this area during hell week 10 to 17 Feb. which village is likely to be less manic? don't mind staying out side of the ski station and driving in everyday
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mother hucker, flachau will be manic. Dunno about anywhere else...I keep well away in February
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@holidayloverxx, does that mean you'll be around in March? We've booked for Wagrain, 2 to 9 March and would love to see you again. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@maggi, hmm... I've got plans for December, January, February and April, but not yet for March...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hurtle, hmm.... is there a plan forming? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@maggi, could be... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@maggi, ooh. I was doing the 2 weeks after, but I can easily move it forward (or stay longer)...consider it done!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@holidayloverxx, excellent news! Looking forward to it already Cool .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@maggi, fab..we'll liaise x

@Hurtle, you know what to do. You can stay with me if you like
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@holidayloverxx, wow. Thank you!! Will have a think/look at other commitments. x
snow conditions
Mother hucker wrote:
not been in the Amade before, which village would you stay in and why? looking at this area during hell week 10 to 17 Feb. which village is likely to be less manic? don't mind staying out side of the ski station and driving in everyday

Everywhere will be busy that week but the British Tour Companies mostly use St Johann, Schladming, Maria Alm and Bad Gastein. The Dutch tend to be in Flachau. Wagrain will be the least congested as fewer folks start/finish from there. Also from Wagrain you have the better start point to choose which side of the Snowspace resort you want to hit on any given day. Have a look at Klienarl as well, a little quieter but a great spot for a family trip. If your driving then you might get a better deal if you stay in Altenmarkt or Radstadt and drive to any one of the start points each day.
snow report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, is there ample free parking at the lift stations?
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, shedload at schladming area, achterjet at flachau (less at space jet and star jet but still reasonable amount), wagrain, zauchensee arena (less on the Highport side). Flachauwinkl has lots, Radstadt/altenmarkt a little less but seems enough,
latest report
@Mother hucker, Yes. The Ski Amade Pass covers all of the above plus the Hochkonig which is worth a visit. Car Parking is free, as are all the ski bus routes in the area. There are free ski buses from Radstadt to Flachau and Zauchensee via Altenmarkt.
ski holidays
Second week of April, best bet is Kaprun, for Kitzsteinhorn glacier.

If you have a car then there is often a reasonable amount to ski (for a day) in Weißsee, Leogang, Fieberbrun, Hollersbach, Kitzbühel, and Hochkrimml, and sometimes a little at Bramberg and Zell am See.

Best of these others (in extent) is normally Hochkrimml and Kitzbühel. But Weißsee is highest so best quality snow, but limited km. It normally has freeride and off piste routes open too.

All above on Salzburg Superski pass.

With a car I normally stay in/near Mittersill to give best number of options within a reasonable drive. Without a car Kaprun; the other options are doable by public transport - but frankly you'll probably not want the hassle and stick to the Kitzsteinhorn, with maybe a trip to Zell in bad weather, if it's open.
ski holidays
Mother hucker wrote:

EVERYWHERE will be busy that week. If you have to go that week, and are happy to drive to the lifts, then Altenmarkt is quite central. I'm planning to stay there January.

The AltenMarkt local hill is small. Fun for a day. Peak weeks, the bubble chair and run down to it are manic with beginners! The resort attracts organised groups of beginner teenagers. But intermediates and above tend to look for a bigger area, so the other slopes tend to be OK. Avoid the Radstadt gondola around 10, and the bubble chair, and the lift queues tend to be managable.

Zauchensee seems to manage busy days well, but as it's a 15 min drive up a deadend valley, not the best base if you want to try several areas.
snow report
@BigJin, yes I know everywhere will be busy just some areas easier to get up the mountain than others. Drama over any how. Kids and wife want to go back to Kirchberg
ski holidays
Mother hucker wrote:
@BigJin, yes I know everywhere will be busy just some areas easier to get up the mountain than others. Drama over any how. Kids and wife want to go back to Kirchberg

Enjoy! I end up skiing a few days from Kirchberg each season. Skiing there, down to Fleckalmbahn, last day of the season is particularly surreal!
ski holidays
@BigJin, there's some good touring in the area that I'm familiar with so all is not lost
ski holidays
Returning from my summer holiday (blimey they could do with a couple of gondolas....) to find my ski amade friends card waiting on the mat is a sure sign the countdown to winter has begun. Just need to work out what it actually gets me! Exciting nevertheless.
So, time for a question.....a mixed group (ability, not age) staying in Flachau late Jan. No transport so travelling in a couple of taxis, what would be the best day trip venue? In my head I have Hochkonig, Schladming and Obertauern as the three options in a reasonable cost/journey time arc, with Hochkonig favourite as a slightly different, picturesque alternative with the best slope options. Would the Ski Amade experts suggest otherwise, or throw any other alternatives onto the table? We will head to Zauchansee during the week anyway, so I don't consider that as a choice.
snow report
@toyah807, I'd go for hochkonig or schladming

My friends card gets you free mountain rescue ...not heli...and a discount on ski service at intersport, download the code
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, thanks. Sorry, I meant Zauchensee of course
ski holidays
@toyah807, Obertauern is not on your Ski Amade Pass. But I would say pop up to Grossarl/Dorfgastein if you've not been there before.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RedandWhiteFlachau, thanks. Obertauern is easily ruled out then!
ski holidays
toyah807 wrote:
@RedandWhiteFlachau, thanks. Obertauern is easily ruled out then!

But Ski Amade, Obertauern and multiple other resorts are all included on the Salzburg Superski pass.
latest report
@Austrian Seagull, I doubt they would get vfm out of it in a week
ski holidays
Roadworks announced on the A10 Golling to Werfen. 12th September 2023 till June 2025. 14 km of roadworks while the 10 tunnels are being renovated. The managing director of ASFINAG construction works says he would use public transport. Sounds like a recipe for lengthy delays as it must be one lane.
ski holidays
This weekend there was a 3 hour delay direction Salzburg due to an accident, 45 mins direction Flachau and gridlock in the surrounding towns.

I drove direction Salzburg at 9.30 this morning...traffic moving freely through the roadworks and only added about 15 mins from Eben to Golling. It only takes one accident to change significantly though. There is a bottleneck where the carriageway crosses lanes and its a very tight bend for freight and that was the slowest bit with traffic stationary for a few minutes

There is much consternation among the Mayors of the local towns who are calling for a summit with Asfing to discuss improving access to the Pongau region in winter...Asfinag have so far said nothing us going to change.

I saw an article which said the roadworks would be suspended next summer...first I have seen of that and no idea if that's right but summer is much busier than winter except maybe half term weekends.

I'm back in January and I'll update again then, but any other reports would be good.
latest report
@holidayloverxx,

Tuesday 11.00. Extra 30 Mins required to reach Salzburg. Not heavy traffic. Of note, on the Altenmarkt approach there is a sign board which estimates the delay and there are temporary speed cameras in both directions either side of the tunnels.

Thursday 09.00. North Bound. No issues, only slowed for the speed limits. South Bound around 14.30 no issues, but probably an hour's delay for those going North by the looks of the Stau!
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, A more typical Airport run, Sat 23 Sep 23. 10.30. 45 Min delay each way. They are stacking traffic at lights about 1km each side of the Roadworks and releasing it in groups. On the way back, there was a 5 mile tailback Northbound, so probably a good hour plus delay.
ski holidays
@RedandWhiteFlachau, thanks
latest report
Just seen the lift pass prices page and although it is a 'from' price 315 euros for 6 days Ski Amade is reasonable compared to the roll up price of 370. I am hoping the from price will be the early purchase price, I have my friends primed to buy ASAP. Or not, at their own expense.
snow report
@toyah807, I have to say I'm a little confused by the pricing regime on Season passes.

The early deals have an adult saving of €52, an U-25 saving of €174 and a youth saving of a whopping €279.

I will do some research to find out why adults are clearly being stuffed!
snow report
@toyah807, last year I missed the lowest 6 day price, which I think for our week was 284e, and ended up paying 295.50e. It stuck at that price from at least mid October until mid November, maybe a week or 2 longer.
I wonder how many tickets are in each price band?

The kasse price was 334e for the same week.
ski holidays
Just to add context to the debate, here's the question I asked Ski Amade.

"Can you please explain why there are such differences in Early Pass savings? The early deals have an adult saving of €52, an U-25 saving of €174 and a youth saving of a whopping €279. As it mainly "adults" who pay the bill, why are we not getting the same deal?"

And the very sensible and informative reply.

"Depending on the group of people (adults, U-25, youth,….), our board will decide on a price for the advance sale and the normal price.

The main focus of Ski amadé's discount policy is on young and very young skiing enthusiasts and their families, as families are usually particularly financially burdened. In the spirit of generous "youth sports promotion", Ski amadé wants to make it possible for children and young people to enjoy skiing. Through discounts for children and young people (e.g. Junior Weekend Discount, Easter Family Campaign) Ski amadé wants to contribute to ensuring that this wonderful outdoor sport, skiing and snowboarding, continues to be practised with enthusiasm and brings joy to children.

We ask for your understanding for the fact that our mountain railways have to operate positively in order to survive. This also secures thousands of jobs in the region and beyond. If reductions were now offered to all target groups, the general price level would have to be increased to cover the costs. This cannot be in the spirit of balanced and compatible pricing. Thus, every Austrian or international ski region singles out certain target groups for which they offer discounts. No ski region can offer discounts for all target groups."
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy